Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

CombatWombat

Familiar Face
@torfjord owns both a 5* goat and a Thedi goat. Judging by the pics those are worlds apart (with the Thedi being much much nicer).
Maybe I just got a 2nd quality Thedi (which I doubt after waiting 14 months for)
If I was to buy a Thedi again I'd just get a Aero instead....cheaper and the wait list is a few months faster

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Maybe I just got a 2nd quality Thedi (which I doubt after waiting 14 months for)
If I was to buy a Thedi again I'd just get a Aero instead....cheaper and the wait list is a few months faster

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with thedi. The goat that I’ve had from Thedi, Aero and several Swedish vintage jackets have all been much nicer than 5* which I find to be too flat and bland colour wise. If they could fix that, their goat could be pretty nice.

troika

New in Town
Does anyone have anything in their conic brown leather? I'd love something like that, but not sure what it looks like irl vs what's on their website

Damon141

Practically Family
Yes I agree. That said, I do believe there are some things that should be intuitive to a jacket maker, and this is sometimes lost on 5 Star. Sleeve construction, for example, is quite often problematic. If you look at this 5 Star’s sleeve:
View attachment 441691
Vs this Aero sleeve:
View attachment 441692
You can clearly see something is amiss with the 5 Star sleeve. It does not articulate in the right way, nor is it attached to the body of the jacket in a way that would allow it to.

To be clear, I do still think 5 Star makes a great jacket, but they do have something to learn about patterning (particularly the sleeves) on these civilian jackets. He’s 90% of the way there. I still hold that 5 Star is without competition in terms of value. You simply cannot get a jacket made to the quality level they offer anywhere for the same investment.
I don’t want to pollute the 5 Star thread with praise for another maker but that Aero you are wearing fits perfectly. Leather and contrast stitching look amazing and just confirms that I was hesitant about getting a board racer from Aero because of my bulky frame but I think this Aero Hercules is for sure on my list.

I still have my 5 Star cafe racer which was made exactly to my specs but the neck is a little tight (no fault of 5Star)
Given the quality for the price and customization options they are unmatched and I have plans for a 5 Star Trucker style possibly in steerhide but I would get the black goat in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Damon141

Practically Family
7ABD25EA-425F-40D7-9826-22FD8A456C16.png
Does anyone have anything in their conic brown leather? I'd love something like that, but not sure what it looks like irl vs what's on their website

This is Cognac. If I had to do it over again I would go with Black or a darker brown. Keep in mind there is nothing wrong with this leather but it just lacks the depth of leathers from brands like Aero, Thedi, Himel etc. but it also lacks the price tag so take that into consideration that it’s 1/10 of the price as many jackets here on Fedora Lounge.

The companies above spend a lot of time and effort sourcing the best hides they can because it’s a different market, where 5 Star uses locally sourced leather which is made for volume than the other tanneries that are competing to produce the best looking leather for various luxury goods.
It’s just like the Indonesian Bootmakers, they have local leather but choose to use leather from all over the world in their best boots.

When in doubt black is a safe option and look through the thread for more members pictures which are taken in better light which more accurately show the true color.

troika

New in Town
This is Cognac. If I had to do it over again I would go with Black or a darker brown. Keep in mind there is nothing wrong with this leather but it just lacks the depth of leathers from brands like Aero, Thedi, Himel etc. but it also lacks the price tag so take that into consideration that it’s 1/10 of the price as many jackets here on Fedora Lounge.

The companies above spend a lot of time and effort sourcing the best hides they can because it’s a different market, where 5 Star uses locally sourced leather which is made for volume than the other tanneries that are competing to produce the best looking leather for various luxury goods.
It’s just like the Indonesian Bootmakers, they have local leather but choose to use leather from all over the world in their best boots.

When in doubt black is a safe option and look through the thread for more members pictures which are taken in better light which more accurately show the true color.

Thank you! I've only tried black goat so far for smooth leather, and loved it. I have something from black, mokka, and brown suede options, and those rule as well.

I'm thinking about the next move, maybe a reverse steerhide like @MrProper suggested on an east/west smoke pattern, or maybe a barnstormer. Although a black goat minimalist moto would be sick as well.

Here’s my dye job:
C417F30B-744E-4E4A-9E6A-B6BBB20E2FDC.jpeg

Here’s RD’s post dye:
1E85A628-DF56-4510-B6BA-E5BE0E9E6F24.jpeg

Fieblings cordo is like duct tape for leather. Fixes anything, including pumpkin pie jacket. I learned a lot from the first one. Acetone is all you need. I wasted hours with sandpaper on my first. Just buckle up, accept the brain damage, and breath deep the chemical bath.

After my retro jacket 40's Sports Style Jacket "Westerner" from FiveStar Leather in Goatskin, this time I ordered the same jacket but in cloth fabric with some leather applications. I have to say the guys at FiveStar Leather did a fantastic job... the jacket fits perfectly.

View attachment 442750 View attachment 442751 View attachment 442752 View attachment 442753 View attachment 442754 View attachment 442755 View attachment 442756
Looks great and I love the detail in the liner!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ