Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

stook1

New in Town
Apologies if this has been asked previously, I tried searching but not sure about the ideal search term to use.

Has anyone ever tried to do a custom d-pocket single rider with 5*? (ie. as opposed to a cross zip, double rider, which I think they do offer).

KBlake

One Too Many
Apologies if this has been asked previously, I tried searching but not sure about the ideal search term to use.

Has anyone ever tried to do a custom d-pocket single rider with 5*? (ie. as opposed to a cross zip, double rider, which I think they do offer).
Yes!
9B6D1B11-F467-4C24-B4B1-904DADC218CE.jpeg

KBlake

One Too Many
Super! That's more or less what I had in mind. Was this based off of the "Ranch" jacket? Assuming this is yours, any advice you might offer in terms of the pattern or things that could/should have been done differently?
It’s based on this jacket: https://www.fivestarleather.us/products/civilian-vintage-1930s-classic-men-real-leather-jacket

As for the pattern, I wish I had asked that the slant of the D pocket match that of the handwarmer. Also, the ticket pocket is too tall.

Asinyne

New in Town
I just received this email early this morning. I’ve since replied, but I think the time differences mean they’re probably done for the day so I might not hear anything back until late tonight; anyone else able to shed any light on this? I set my armholes at 21” and my biceps at 15” (I’ve seen a number of you set to something similar — 21” and 16” bicep seems fairly common, if memory serves). I’m too new and inexperienced to quite follow what they’re asking: what are they meaning by “variation” and what measurement are they wanting to change to 19 or 19.5” (are they talking about making the armhole smaller than 21”)? Or are they talking about making my biceps 19”? Cause that’s WAAAAAAY too big.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• E0E6CB46-F31B-45A0-A446-DE2E6618A005.jpeg
    E0E6CB46-F31B-45A0-A446-DE2E6618A005.jpeg
    397.5 KB · Views: 120

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I just received this email early this morning. I’ve since replied, but I think the time differences mean they’re probably done for the day so I might not hear anything back until late tonight; anyone else able to shed any light on this? I set my armholes at 21” and my biceps at 15” (I’ve seen a number of you set to something similar — 21” and 16” bicep seems fairly common, if memory serves). I’m too new and inexperienced to quite follow what they’re asking: what are they meaning by “variation” and what measurement are they wanting to change to 19 or 19.5” (are they talking about making the armhole smaller than 21”)? Or are they talking about making my biceps 19”? Cause that’s WAAAAAAY too big.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
His point is you cannot taper a sleeve from 21" to 16" over just a few inches of length, the biceps is only what, 6" afar from the armpit. Best he can do is the biceps at 19", so a 2" taper from the armhole.

Asinyne

New in Town
19” would be huge. And I’ve seen others do similar — say a 22” armhole down to a 17” bicep or 21”/16”. Plus my measurements are based on a jacket I own (below). I’m not sure how to remedy the situation;
F8E28F97-493F-487C-AABB-C07E5229E8AB.jpeg

His point is you cannot taper a sleeve from 21" to 16" over just a few inches of length, the biceps is only what, 6" afar from the armpit. Best he can do is the biceps at 19", so a 2" taper from the armhole.

Attachments

• 9F873D60-6B3F-449B-B9F3-C90E77EDFA49.jpeg
    9F873D60-6B3F-449B-B9F3-C90E77EDFA49.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 81

Asinyne

New in Town
Maybe you could measure them both the same way- straight across to get workable numbers.
I emailed them last week asking because I was worried about the armhole — I measured it the way the showed me in the photo they sent back. Tho I do have measurements both straight across and following the curve of the armhole, which I’ve sent them hoping to help clarify the matter. Between their reference photo and everyone’s armhole measurements being ~20-23” inches, it seemed like my measurements were in line with how it’s done.

Edward

Bartender
I see FiveStar don't only do leather: I spotted a repro of the WW2 era USN cloth jacket, the M-421A on their ebay page. The M-421A was a Summer issue jacket, like a cotton version of the M-422A, but without knits. Not a million miles away from an Indy jacket in overall vibe (albeit cotton, obvs).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284810009440?var=586499660744

Anyone dabbled? I'm not looking at their leather offerings, but I've had half an eye out for one of these for some time, and this one looks like it might be a decent option. Not worried about it being fully accurate to milspec as it would be worn exclusively as a civilian jacket, more curious re quality, sizing, and so on.

PilotJens

One of the Regulars
I think you can ask Shawn directly about his fabric jackets. I think I saw him wearing one on his brothers Instagram which I got recommend automatically through the phone number I think. He wore it in Germany His brother lives not far away from where I live

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko