Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Kevin the Devon

New in Town
Hello all,
Has anybody had the issue of having the their Five Star A2 collar being too floppy? I’m looking to stiffen it to remove that annoying wrinkle on the left side. Does anybody have some suggestions or any experience, sharing would be greatly appreciated! View attachment 450377

Has the crease always been there?

I am no expert. I would dampen the leather collar with water. Place between dry towels then lay flat then place a couple of heavy books etc on it till it drys

thor

One Too Many
6D2F2E63-77D5-4852-A1AA-04F570273E02.jpeg
2757AFB0-2E29-4F6A-86EE-07C2A2A8E111.jpeg

I had FiveStar make me a custom B-15D flight jacket and they nailed it! A perfect fit, excellent construction with nice details, especially the mouton collar, which is thick and full and should definitely keep out the cold.
FiveStar had advertised a very good-looking M-1A jacket on their website and I contacted Shawn about doing a 1950’s B-15D. Sent afew photos and my size preferences and in under a month it arrived at my doorstep.
Great jacket, great value for the money and exceptional customer service!

Observe

One Too Many
The more I think about it the more I feel like getting a custom jacket from 5 star. Just not sure I could provide accurate enough different measurements to get what I'm looking for. I've seen here that people sometimes send them jackets to "clone". Do you think if I sent them a jacket and requested they clone it save for perhaps an inch added to sleeves and body, minor things like that it could be accommodated? If so, I may try that with a jacket of mine, see what comes back and then sell the original.

The more I think about it the more I feel like getting a custom jacket from 5 star. Just not sure I could provide accurate enough different measurements to get what I'm looking for. I've seen here that people sometimes send them jackets to "clone". Do you think if I sent them a jacket and requested they clone it save for perhaps an inch added to sleeves and body, minor things like that it could be accommodated? If so, I may try that with a jacket of mine, see what comes back and then sell the original.
I’m quite sure they absolutely could clone your jacket. They are masters at that. Where things get tricky is when “original scholarship” needs to come into play. But a clone with minor length alterations, etc, particularly with the original in hand, should be an absolute slam dunk.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Example of a clone job. Red is the clone and way better than the original of faux leather.
6969D7A8-E0C5-4053-92B2-84FE5652A22A.jpeg
4CCE02DD-A219-4112-9182-0E99090F4B63.jpeg

Observe

One Too Many
I assume jackets to be cloned are shipped to Germany?

I'm considering the black premium goat. I want something soft and pliable but relatively thick compared to regular goat. Think this would fit the bill? Never had a goatskin jacket, perhaps this could be a way to try it out.

MrProper

I assume jackets to be cloned are shipped to Germany?

I'm considering the black premium goat. I want something soft and pliable but relatively thick compared to regular goat. Think this would fit the bill? Never had a goatskin jacket, perhaps this could be a way to try it out.
Black premium goat is what I would recommend from 5*. I am very satisfied with mine.
The 2 mm HH there is unfortunately no longer, because I also like it very much.
It is also shipped to Germany. But then there is still DHL handling fee and 19% VAT. However, on a smaller amount. If I remember correctly, that was always around 30 or 40 EUR.

Observe

One Too Many
Thanks for your help. I'm gonna message them to get the ball rolling. Being OCD about details is kind of my thing, so I will try to be as specific as possible in my instructions. I'm hoping that sending a jacket for them to clone will assist to this end as well. It may cost a bit more but I think it's worth it rather than going through trial and error with multiple jackets.

Are people still experiencing the weird issues with the sleeves? Would sending them a jacket to copy exactly avoid this issue?

MrProper

Best to always assume that if something can be misinterpreted, it will be misinterpreted.
That with the sleeves is certainly also partly a matter of taste. For me, the sleeves fit well as they are.
Cloning a jacket is certainly the best option. For safety's sake, I would then still point out the details that should not be overlooked in any case. E.g. curved sleeves, round shoulders or similar.

Eddiesuave

Familiar Face

Has the crease always been there?

I am no expert. I would dampen the leather collar with water. Place between dry towels then lay flat then place a couple of heavy books etc on it till it drys
Thank you for the advice. I Tried it, but no no cigar. That wrinkle is dug in like an Alabama Tick. I tried ironing/pressing, steaming it until it became floppy, then molding. I tried putting conditioner, then blow drying it on heat while holding it’s shape. But the wrinkle won’t budge.

Astrobrainsurgeon

New in Town
Hi All!

I'm thinking about getting a shearling jacket from Five Star and was hoping to get some advice from those who have ordered from them.

It looks like the best way to get correct sizing is to measure a good fitting jacket and send them the measurements. I have a well fitting Aero Hooch Hauler so I can probably use that for measurements, but I am wondering if I should adjust said measurements to account for shearling volume?

Thanks!

MrProper

Hi All!

I'm thinking about getting a shearling jacket from Five Star and was hoping to get some advice from those who have ordered from them.

It looks like the best way to get correct sizing is to measure a good fitting jacket and send them the measurements. I have a well fitting Aero Hooch Hauler so I can probably use that for measurements, but I am wondering if I should adjust said measurements to account for shearling volume?

Thanks!
What kind of leather is your Hooch Haulter made of? Thick and stiff?
Then you'll hardly need any changes to the measurements.
But probably it would be best to put a thick sweater under your Hooch Hauler and see how the jacket is then. Then, in the places where it seems too tight, you add a few mm.
But what is added is much less than you would think.

Which shearling are you interested in?
Depending on the fur thickness you just have to look.

Astrobrainsurgeon

New in Town
But probably it would be best to put a thick sweater under your Hooch Hauler and see how the jacket is then. Then, in the places where it seems too tight, you add a few mm.

The Hooch Hauler is in their Badalassi leather, which I think is not particularly thick but is sort of stiff.

Thanks for the sweater suggestion - that should be a pretty good approximation of the shearling volume. I think I'll need to add a few mm as it's a pretty trim fit.

I'm not exactly sure what shearling the Five Star guys have right now - I'll probably go for the thickest one they have as this is going to be my coldest-month-of-the-year jacket!

MrProper

The thickest (= long hair) is not necessarily the warmest.
I have from 5* two shearling vests and two shearling jackets and the jacket with the longest hair is the least warm of the four. I think this is because in this case the fur is not as dense as in the others. In addition, the long hairs therefore lie more and can not build up the air cushion so well.
Nevertheless, it is of course a warm jacket.
By the way, my warmest shearling is an Aero.

Astrobrainsurgeon

New in Town
The thickest (= long hair) is not necessarily the warmest.
I have from 5* two shearling vests and two shearling jackets and the jacket with the longest hair is the least warm of the four. I think this is because in this case the fur is not as dense as in the others. In addition, the long hairs therefore lie more and can not build up the air cushion so well.
Nevertheless, it is of course a warm jacket.
By the way, my warmest shearling is an Aero.
Interesting, that makes sense. Thanks for the info - I'll probably just go with whatever colour tickles my fancy the most then. I would look at the Aero shearling but if I'm only wearing the thing one month out of the year I'll go the less expensive Five Star route

H Widman

New in Town
Hi everybody

Planning my second jacket from Fivestar and I’m thinking of ordering this one in brown pull up horse. Any “pitfalls” with this pattern I should take into consideration before I order? I have all my measurements pretty much dialed in from my previous order. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• F7785696-1311-4E32-A9D2-CACB97A4851B.jpeg
    F7785696-1311-4E32-A9D2-CACB97A4851B.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 119

MrProper

Hi everybody

Planning my second jacket from Fivestar and I’m thinking of ordering this one in brown pull up horse. Any “pitfalls” with this pattern I should take into consideration before I order? I have all my measurements pretty much dialed in from my previous order. Thanks in advance.
The chest pockets at 5* tend to be positioned too far up and the hand warmers too far out. Point this out and best to provide measurements.
The thickness of the leather varies. Make sure to either use uniformly thick leather or use the thinner parts in places where it is less noticeable.
Stupid if the sleeves get thick and the body gets thin leather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider