Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

I was never quite happy with the chunky buckles that came on my 5* Halfbelt, so I "updated" them :). I was at the local arts and crafts store the other day (Hobby Lobby) looking at some sewing notions for another project I'm working on and saw some 1 inch nickel rectangles that were similar to the ones on my vintage jacket. I think they were $2, so I figured I'd see if could make them work. When I got home, I annealed them with a torch and opened them up a little with some pliers. Next, I snipped off the old buckles, fit the new rings on and reclosed them. The torch darkened them a bit and brought out some coppery tones, but I think they look quite a lot like vintage ones. Pic:
View attachment 455446

I think these are the ones I purchased, if anybody is interested in trying it themselves: Nickel Rings.
So much better!!

H Widman

New in Town
Thank you for the reply! Can I see a picture of the jacket? For the life of me I can’t find it. Thank you in advanced
The picture I posted is on page 310 in this thread. I’ll try and snap some more pics this weekend in natural light if you are interested.

troika

New in Town
20221005_160356.jpg

4444Design

One of the Regulars
Since Fivestar also started to produce jackets made from fabric i gave it a try and ordered a 37J1 as well as a M421A - both jackets "off the shelf" in standard size ...

the 37J1 when i received her: fabric is pretty shiny, brown buttons, the whole version is a thad heavier than the 37J1 i own from BRONSON

K6zOszL.jpg

i tried to achieve a more realistic look with swapping the buttons with OD-ones and some rounds in the washer, patch is some phantasy designed by Eric Herenguel, nametag came with the jacket and the USN stencil was added with textile-paint

e6oWdhW.jpg

Fgrgeo2.jpg

4444Design

One of the Regulars
another new jacket they have in their program is the M421A ...

ordered 2 - one slightly altered the other one in standard dimensions - added a night-torpedo squadron patch to one of them - like i've seen on a photo off the WWW

original
zA2KZoH.jpg

fivestar
fg10DRm.jpg

an another one in special dimensions

22UkZ5q.jpg

ThdIkUl.jpg

both jackets just received a thorough wash and the patches

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Aero complaint thread (and reading in it that OP had demanded the thickest hide Aero had) reminded me of the legendary CHL and SXL leathers. Demanding the tightest tolerances and thickest hides is one of the most beautiful illustrations of TFL disorder I’ve ever seen.

In any case, what’s the latest on those? Any more experiments with it? I remember Vaseline soaks, acetone baths, did anyone boil some? I’m genuinely curious about it in a science experiment way. Does any still exist?

The Aero complaint thread (and reading in it that OP had demanded the thickest hide Aero had) reminded me of the legendary CHL and SXL leathers. Demanding the tightest tolerances and thickest hides is one of the most beautiful illustrations of TFL disorder I’ve ever seen.

In any case, what’s the latest on those? Any more experiments with it? I remember Vaseline soaks, acetone baths, did anyone boil some? I’m genuinely curious about it in a science experiment way. Does any still exist?
I think Shawn took a bath on that hide and dropped it. It wasn’t so much the thickness. It was as stiff as plywood. I beat mine with a hammer and it didn’t change it one single bit.

Aloysius

I think Shawn took a bath on that hide and dropped it. It wasn’t so much the thickness. It was as stiff as plywood. I beat mine with a hammer and it didn’t change it one single bit.

I’m legitimately curious about what applications it could have–garments are obviously the wrong choice, but maybe luggage handles? Belts? Holsters maybe?

MrProper

Perfect for those. Anything but an article of clothing. Maybe a vest would be ok.
No, the only thing you can make out of it are suitcases or maybe Roman breastplates.
I have the patch pockets of my sheepskin vest from it and they don't get softer no matter what you do with it.

Aloysius

Perfect for those. Anything but an article of clothing. Maybe a vest would be ok.

I was thinking cast iron skillet handles. Hell there’s probably enough overlap between guys who buy leather jackets and guys who cook on cast iron that Shawn could pretty cheaply make up a ton of those handles, with a brass stud or something, and make back whatever the tanning cost him.

stevetfire

New in Town
another new jacket they have in their program is the M421A ...

ordered 2 - one slightly altered the other one in standard dimensions - added a night-torpedo squadron patch to one of them - like i've seen on a photo off the WWW

original
zA2KZoH.jpg

fivestar
fg10DRm.jpg

an another one in special dimensions

22UkZ5q.jpg

ThdIkUl.jpg

both jackets just received a thorough wash and the patches
They look great Thomas , how close to your dimensions are they in standard size and what did you alter in the second one
Cheers
Steve

H Widman

New in Town
Just received my QC pictures from FiveStar and I have some concerns that I would really appreciate your opinion on.
I specified the chest pocket to be lowered 1cm down from the original pattern which is the “Vintage Half Belt” but at least on the pictures I think it’s almost to low? I’ve looked around the net on pictures of half belt jackets from different makers and the placement seem to vary quite a lot. So maybe it’s just fine… The other thing I noticed was that the bottom hem looks a bit “wobbly” if you know what I mean?
The leather is Shawn’s new 1,3 mm horsehide in “Whiskey” color and according to our conversation on WhatsApp it’s supposed to be evenly thick throughout.
So to sum it up I’m excited about the jacket and I think it looks really cool. It’s just those two details mentioned above that concerns me a little bit. Would love to hear your thoughts!

Cheers/H

Attachments

• F3585448-F98B-493D-871A-F2892C7C073A.jpeg
    F3585448-F98B-493D-871A-F2892C7C073A.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 232
  • A4E8A427-96A5-40CF-B750-C0B0720CDB1B.jpeg
    A4E8A427-96A5-40CF-B750-C0B0720CDB1B.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 227
  • 6004D0B2-2A5B-484E-9F36-74CF6E09A65B.jpeg
    6004D0B2-2A5B-484E-9F36-74CF6E09A65B.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 203
Just received my QC pictures from FiveStar and I have some concerns that I would really appreciate your opinion on.
I specified the chest pocket to be lowered 1cm down from the original pattern which is the “Vintage Half Belt” but at least on the pictures I think it’s almost to low? I’ve looked around the net on pictures of half belt jackets from different makers and the placement seem to vary quite a lot. So maybe it’s just fine… The other thing I noticed was that the bottom hem looks a bit “wobbly” if you know what I mean?
The leather is Shawn’s new 1,3 mm horsehide in “Whiskey” color and according to our conversation on WhatsApp it’s supposed to be evenly thick throughout.
So to sum it up I’m excited about the jacket and I think it looks really cool. It’s just those two details mentioned above that concerns me a little bit. Would love to hear your thoughts!

Cheers/H
Chest pocket and hem look fine to me....better to have that pocket there than on your shouler!

MrProper

Cheers/H
The breast pocket looks so deep because it is very slanted. If it were straight, you wouldn't have noticed it.
I think it fits.
I wouldn't have noticed anything weird about the hem.
I'm curious what your impression of the leather is. Mine is unfortunately different in thickness.

H Widman

New in Town
The breast pocket looks so deep because it is very slanted. If it were straight, you wouldn't have noticed it.
I think it fits.
I wouldn't have noticed anything weird about the hem.
I'm curious what your impression of the leather is. Mine is unfortunately different in thickness.
Crossing my fingers that mine is ok. Will post an impression when it arrives.
Was yours made from the new batch of horsehide that arrived to FiveStar like two weeks ago?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko