Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

newtojackets

Practically Family
Looking forward to seeing that! Do you know how much are the taxes in UK? I got in touch with Shawn for a CR and was wondering if anybody has already ordered or knows about this aspect.
Tad late to this lol, but did you end up with any tax / customs?

newtojackets

Practically Family
Just ordered the roadmaster cross zip in seal brown HH. Got it wIt no epaulets on the shoulders, no belt loops on the skirt, no snap buttons on the lapels/collar, no right hand warmer pocket, no chest pocket, no lighter pocket. Just the large d pocket but no zipper. Should be a really clean, toned down cross zip. Hard to decide which HH to go with on this.
any photos of this? I'm considering the roadmaster as well

newtojackets

Practically Family
No clue where Shawn sources his hides, but comparing the pics the differences in quality are obvious. I don‘t mind wearing „natural“ hides with all natural imperfections. Who‘s skin is perfect anyway? Here you get what you pay for, But if you opt for Shinki quality you will have to take your business and a lot of extra money elsewhere.Being a very happy owner of a premium goat Road Master I will stick with the Shawn system and take it as it comes
have any photos of this? thinking of getting the same jacket

troika

New in Town
Ok, I'm narrowing in on my next project - gonna do this one in an unlined seal brown, and I'm trying to figure out the best leather. I'm looking for something heavy enough to drape well but still be comfortable unlined.

My question is - which leather would be best for an unlined jacket like this? Goat, steer, or heavy steer? I already have several goatskin jackets, and would love to try steer, but I'm open.

1666799379171.png

1666799467244.png

PilotJens

One of the Regulars
Well the goat has a tighter flesh side then the standard steer so it it might be smoother and slide better

troika

New in Town
Well the goat has a tighter flesh side then the standard steer so it it might be smoother and slide better

Oh interesting, so the goat would be smoother than the reverse?

I'm also considering getting the sleeves lined, but not sure if it's wonky. Or maybe quarter lined?

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok, I'm narrowing in on my next project - gonna do this one in an unlined seal brown, and I'm trying to figure out the best leather. I'm looking for something heavy enough to drape well but still be comfortable unlined.

My question is - which leather would be best for an unlined jacket like this? Goat, steer, or heavy steer? I already have several goatskin jackets, and would love to try steer, but I'm open.

View attachment 460102
View attachment 460103

I think this is way too complicated to look good in leather. Those sleeve panels and double pockets that look so good in denim would be a pain.

Remove the pleats, back cinch, extra stitchline around the front pockets, and give the collar some shape. That would be a nice leather jacket. I’d alter the sleeve stitching and add longer wrist closures too.

troika

New in Town
Just curious about why y'all think the front pleats are an issue? Tons of leather type 2s out there in all kinds of hides...lamb, goat, horse, etc.

CBI

One Too Many
stock marked 42, a measurement or two may have been tweaked, I just don't remember. I have a new 5 Star A-1 in Pull Up HH that is all my own custom measurements. They put a size 38 tag in it. Will post pics in a few weeks after some wear and one alteration.

Mysteryo

One Too Many
Hi, 5 Stars afficionados,
I have a very nice and rare 30's aviator jacket, that fits me just perfect, except for the body lengh, that would require one inch or two., and as it's very old and made of lambskin its not a jacket I would wear so much (more like a museum piece)
I would like to have it reproduced by a skilled maker, in a nice goat hide.
Do you think, sending the jacket to 5 stars, in that objective would be a good move?
Have anyone of you ever done such a thing?

Thanks for your input

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a very nice and rare 30's aviator jacket, that fits me just perfect, except for the body lengh, that would require one inch or two., and as it's very old and made of lambskin its not a jacket I would wear so much (more like a museum piece)
Do you think, sending the jacket to 5 stars, in that objective would be a good move?

Thanks for your input
I had sent my daughter's old, broken faux leather jacket over and wanted an exact copy (with only tiny alterations and made of leather, of course) and it became the exact copy.
So I would say, yes, that works.
1667476495615.jpeg
1667476503286.jpeg

Mysteryo

One Too Many

Thanks for your input
Here’s the jacket
5C389F83-8D6C-40CA-BBE6-D73A40A54C55.jpeg
3EF6C834-C8C8-4F0B-9461-1B69113D9900.jpeg

Pandemic

One Too Many
That’s a hell of a gift to five star, letting them use an original like that to copy the pattern. I can see many folks ordering them, if they get it right. I bet Greg Field would love to get his hands on that, as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko