Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

chollie

One of the Regulars
@chollie As a little tip: If you have in mind to order a D-Pocket from 5* make sure you give them exact position of chest zipper (I forgot :(). Compared to my jacket, lower and closer to the corner of the d-pocket. The angle of the right outside pocket should angulated more to the front, the Zipper is too steep and therefore the inside of pocket is difficult to reach.
Thanks for the tip!

DirtyHarry

Familiar Face
Chiming in here, rather than starting a new thread. I have ordered a couple of jackets from 5*, and the only thing lacking for me has been the leather. I'm not expecting Aero HH etc.

What leathers does Fedora lounge recommend from Shawn? Is the thick goatskin a solid choice?

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@DirtyHarry
You can scan through the last 30-40 pages to get an idea what people have been admiring / recommending in terms of 5* leather choices recently.
I got the impression that the thick premium black goatskin is the one to go for, especially if you specify to get it waxed up nicely. So that's what I went for. The jacket should arrive next week, looking forward to seeing it in person myself.
From Shawn while I wait:
1676653481507.jpeg
1676653496348.jpeg
1676653507135.jpeg

Last edited:

TankPopper

New in Town
@DirtyHarry
You can scan through the last 30-40 pages to get an idea what people have been admiring / recommending in terms of 5* leather choices recently.
I got the impression that the thick premium black goatskin is the one to go for, especially if you specify to get it waxed up nicely. So that's what I went for. The jacket should arrive next week, looking forward to seeing it in person myself.

I got the same impression, and that's why i also ordered my first 5* jacket in premium black goat (not waxed). We just finished the design phase, and i'll get some QC images next week.

Reactions: Zoo

DirtyHarry

Familiar Face
That looks great, hope the seal is of similar quality...or else I'll just go black. What's the BLUF about the waxing? This is not the veg tanned goat?

Last edited:

TartuWolf

Practically Family

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Received the "1.4mm waxed premium black goatskin center-button half-belt" yesterday.
I'll probably make a proper impressions/review thread at some point in the future when it's actually possible to wear it outside (currently between -10 and -15 Celsius) and I can get my wife to shoot some proper fit pics.
Some initial impressions thoughts:
- They nailed all the measurements I sent spot on, only the chest pocket depth was a miss on their side.
- There are some clear things that I screwed up myself a bit and would specify a bit differently. Nothing major though.
- The leather is very thick and substantial, quite stiff as well. Will soften up and drape better after it is broken in / worn for a while. Heavy top coat, not sure if I could scratch it with a knife.
- There was a definite smell to the package/jacket but I would not call it pleasant or unpleasant. Just neutral. It's going away very quickly.
- Communication was quite ok, would not expect much more when paying so little (relatively).
- Total was ~350 dollar, 65 of which was shipping. So ~285 dollar for a fully custom pattern based of various photos I sent.
Some pics (click to enlarge):
PXL_20230222_102226739.jpg

PXL_20230222_102022067.jpg

PXL_20230222_102313745.jpg

PXL_20230222_102432504.jpg

PXL_20230222_102450341.jpg

PXL_20230222_102527744.jpg

PXL_20230222_102053671.jpg

Last edited:

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Received the "1.4mm waxed premium black goatskin center-button half-belt" yesterday.
I'll probably make a proper impressions/review thread at some point in the future when it's actually possible to wear it outside (currently between -10 and -15 Celsius) and I can get my wife to shoot some proper fit pics.
- They nailed all the measurements I sent spot on, only the chest pocket depth was a miss on their side.
- There are some clear things that I screwed up myself a bit and would specify a bit differently. Nothing major though.
- The leather is very thick and substantial, quite stiff as well. Will soften up and drape better after it is broken in / worn for a while. Heavy top coat, not sure if I could scratch it with a knife.
- There was a definite smell to the package/jacket but I would not call it pleasant or unpleasant. Just neutral. It's going away very quickly.
- Communication was quite ok, would not expect much more when paying so little (relatively).
- Total was ~350 dollar, 65 of which was shipping. So ~285 dollar for a fully custom pattern based of various photos I sent.
View attachment 491602
View attachment 491603
View attachment 491604
View attachment 491605
View attachment 491606
View attachment 491607
View attachment 491608
Cool. Congratulations.
The new goat certainly seems different from mine. It was called Premium Goat 1.2 mm at the time and definitely didn't stand alone. I hope the new one is not the same, only with 0.2 mm top coat on it ;-)
It looks good in any case.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 491602
View attachment 491603
View attachment 491604
View attachment 491605
View attachment 491606
View attachment 491607
View attachment 491608
I love those grainy panels.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@Marc mndt
I specifically requested that kind of grain, but I guess they didn't manage (or didn't bother) to find more of it to use on more parts of the jacket. Basically it's only on the back and the kidney panel. Charged a bit extra for sorting through the hides to find me leather with this kind of grain too.

View attachment 491602
View attachment 491603
View attachment 491604
View attachment 491605
View attachment 491606
View attachment 491607
View attachment 491608
Fit pics or it didn't happen!

suitecasehandler

Familiar Face
My first fivestar jacket has arrived, it's a Vintage Custom 1930s Steer hide black.

I am really, really surprised positively with overall quality given the great price.

Fit wise, I think I couldn't ask for a better fit, it is on a looser side but I appreciate it as I will be able to layer a bit, while my other jackets so far are on tighter side.

Anyway, I have to clean a mirror lol

Attachments

• IMG20230223104656.jpg
    IMG20230223104656.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG20230223104741.jpg
    IMG20230223104741.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 261

dep126

Familiar Face
Does anybody have experience with their Suede leather?
I'm interesten in this:
https://www.fivestarleather.us/products/men-trucker-tan-suede-classic-western-leather-jacket

but it looks maybe a bit too orangy, but this might just be how it looks online.

Thanks

While I haven’t yet purchased a jacket from 5* I did recently inquire (earlier this week) into their suede options - I was looking for a dark chocolate suede which they unfortunately don’t have. I got a response with the following photo of their suede options, hope this is helpful.

Attachments

• A9D93F13-F7C5-432A-B353-BFB7D718E0C6.jpeg
    A9D93F13-F7C5-432A-B353-BFB7D718E0C6.jpeg
    775 KB · Views: 155
  • 53B5EF61-8D0F-44FF-81D4-223AC07FBD00.jpeg
    53B5EF61-8D0F-44FF-81D4-223AC07FBD00.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 141

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
While I haven’t yet purchased a jacket from 5* I did recently inquire (earlier this week) into their suede options - I was looking for a dark chocolate suede which they unfortunately don’t have. I got a response with the following photo of their suede options, hope this is helpful.
That “Mokka” color looks blue to me…..

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy