Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
While I haven’t yet purchased a jacket from 5* I did recently inquire (earlier this week) into their suede options - I was looking for a dark chocolate suede which they unfortunately don’t have. I got a response with the following photo of their suede options, hope this is helpful.
I had once considered having a jacket made of rough outside steer. You then also have thicker leather. F08A948A-6F71-41EB-9B75-3B45DF5D485B.jpeg

sepa

New in Town
While I haven’t yet purchased a jacket from 5* I did recently inquire (earlier this week) into their suede options - I was looking for a dark chocolate suede which they unfortunately don’t have. I got a response with the following photo of their suede options, hope this is helpful.

Thanks, i really like the tan goat but the thickness is only 0.6mm?

I found a listed jacket with the mokka goat, it looks also blue.....
1677490588319.png

I had once considered having a jacket made of rough outside steer. You then also have thicker leather.

Great idea. i will reach out to them and aks if they have thicker goat, if not the rough out is a nice alternative.

Tim S

New in Town
Thanks, i really like the tan goat but the thickness is only 0.6mm?

I found a listed jacket with the mokka goat, it looks also blue..... View attachment 493189

Great idea. i will reach out to them and aks if they have thicker goat, if not the rough out is a nice alternative.
I just got a cossack in the tan goat suede. It is a little bright. Hopefully it will fade a bit. It is unlined and about 1.5 oz. The jacket is very comfortable and moves well. The suede skins are small so you end up with a seam in the back for a cossack or you need to choose a jacket with multiple panels for the back. Overall, I like it but the skin is not substantial.

Squirrel_hero

Familiar Face
How do 5 star jackets compare to schott or to aero and thedi for example? Are they comparable? Do they use nice leather? How come their jackets are under 500$? I don’t get it.. usually you get what you pay for.. so confused by this brand..is it any good? Their site looks like it’s nothing special especially those cheap prices..

MotionDesign

One of the Regulars
The Five Star 2mm steer has arrived. And so far, imho, it is the best jacket I have received from Fargham and Shawn. The leather is uniform in thickness, the patterns across the panels work well together and the stitching is on par with jackets 3x the price. I didn't have a chance to wear it a lot but, so far, the fit seems great. The arm opening was tightened by almost 2" compered with the previous jacket and it really helped with shoulder peaks without making it feel restrictive.

IMG_9597 copy.jpg
IMG_9588-1.jpg
IMG_9605.jpg
IMG_9606.jpg

4mm stitching with 6 ply thread

IMG_9610.jpg

IMG_9613.jpg

Olive canvas with black sateen sleeves; their sateen is super slick. Time will tell if it's durable.
IMG_9618.jpg

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many
The Five Star 2mm steer has arrived. And so far, imho, it is the best jacket I have received from Fargham and Shawn. The leather is uniform in thickness, the patterns across the panels work well together and the stitching is on par with jackets 3x the price. I didn't have a chance to wear it a lot but, so far, the fit seems great. The arm opening was tightened by almost 2" compered with the previous jacket and it really helped with shoulder peaks without making it feel restrictive.

View attachment 494044 View attachment 494045 View attachment 494046 View attachment 494048

View attachment 494049

View attachment 494051

Olive canvas with black sateen sleeves; their sateen is super slick. Time will tell if it's durable.
View attachment 494052
WoW! Both jacket and leather looks awesome. Big upcharge for the 2mm steer?

Hobbes1

A-List Customer

View attachment 494044 View attachment 494045 View attachment 494046 View attachment 494048

View attachment 494049

View attachment 494051

View attachment 494052
Great looking jacket! Is it squeaky? I had one from 5* in steerhide and it was so relentlessly squeaky, I donated it. Couldn't stand it and my wife really hated it.
Was this jacket you just received based on one on their site with customizations or one of your own "originals"? Thanks!

MotionDesign

One of the Regulars
Great looking jacket! Is it squeaky? I had one from 5* in steerhide and it was so relentlessly squeaky, I donated it. Couldn't stand it and my wife really hated it.
Was this jacket you just received based on one on their site with customizations or one of your own "originals"? Thanks!
Thank you! This one doesn't seem to squeak. But it has a bit of a industrial paint smell.

The design is based on 1930's vintage jacket available on their website:
https://www.fivestarleather.us/products/civilian-vintage-1930s-classic-men-real-leather-jacket

Some dimensions were modified and bottom panels added. I'll be happy to share production specs if you'd like.

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
Thank you! This one doesn't seem to squeak. But it has a bit of a industrial paint smell.

The design is based on 1930's vintage jacket available on their website:
https://www.fivestarleather.us/products/civilian-vintage-1930s-classic-men-real-leather-jacket

Some dimensions were modified and bottom panels added. I'll be happy to share production specs if you'd like.
Cool. Yeah, that one that you used for inspiration (link you supplied) is the original one that I spec'd. It was sooo squeaky.
I'd appreciate it if you would share your tweaks. I think your jacket looks better than the original. Hopefully, the smell will fade out soon. I've seen various methods mentioned here to facilitate the smell fading but don't recall off the top of my head. Might be in the Ask a Question, Get and Answer about Outerwear thread here, if you need it. Cheers!

MotionDesign

One of the Regulars
Cool. Yeah, that one that you used for inspiration (link you supplied) is the original one that I spec'd. It was sooo squeaky.
I'd appreciate it if you would share your tweaks. I think your jacket looks better than the original. Hopefully, the smell will fade out soon. I've seen various methods mentioned here to facilitate the smell fading but don't recall off the top of my head. Might be in the Ask a Question, Get and Answer about Outerwear thread here, if you need it. Cheers!
Here are the specs used. The last minute change was to shorten the arms to 26.25"; let me know if you have any questions. Take care.

Attachments

• MD_custom jacket_Black_CHL_v04.jpg
    MD_custom jacket_Black_CHL_v04.jpg
    809.5 KB · Views: 389

yxnstat

New in Town
Hi all! I'm new here and I'm sorry to say I'm a casualty of the FiveStar enthusiasm. After wading through the hundreds of pages of this thread, I couldn't resist my curiosity and ordered a custom-sized cafe racer (the J100 lookalike). The turnaround was speedy, the materials decent for the money, the measurements spot on, but the style . . . just doesn't suit me. I don't think I've ever seen shoulders so pointy. So, despite the fit being pretty good otherwise, I'm going to be passing this one off to whoever will take it (maybe someone with pterodactyl shoulders).

P.S. Has anyone returned a custom-sized jacket for a (partial) refund? I'm expecting the answer to be no, but I thought I would ask.

Attachments

• 20230304_125941.jpg
    20230304_125941.jpg
    748.3 KB · Views: 351
  • 20230304_130350.jpg
    20230304_130350.jpg
    772.4 KB · Views: 332

KBlake

One Too Many
Hi all! I'm new here and I'm sorry to say I'm a casualty of the FiveStar enthusiasm. After wading through the hundreds of pages of this thread, I couldn't resist my curiosity and ordered a custom-sized cafe racer (the J100 lookalike). The turnaround was speedy, the materials decent for the money, the measurements spot on, but the style . . . just doesn't suit me. I don't think I've ever seen shoulders so pointy. So, despite the fit being pretty good otherwise, I'm going to be passing this one off to whoever will take it (maybe someone with pterodactyl shoulders).

P.S. Has anyone returned a custom-sized jacket for a (partial) refund? I'm expecting the answer to be no, but I thought I would ask.
Good luck with that. I doubt you will even get a response to that request.

KBlake

One Too Many
I specified 25.75” and this is the photo I got from Shawn. Thoughts?

Attachments

• C7B46797-D036-4536-92DD-F5678841F8EA.jpeg
    C7B46797-D036-4536-92DD-F5678841F8EA.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 300

Hobbes1

A-List Customer

It's those little details that can sour a jacket for sure. Some of the people here know how to order jackets from 5* and know just what to ask for to avoid those sorts of things. Many of us do not, unfortunately. The 5* builders are, in my humble opinion, simply assemblers of jackets. They are not tailors or craftspeople in the sense of just knowing what will look right. Maybe with wear and breaking in, the shoulders will start to sag some? More knowledgeable people here might be able to chime in.

edit: you should ask Shawn at 5* about remake. They do advertise on their website for customer satisfaction. You might get some sort of help there. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo