Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

KBlake

One Too Many
Hello. This is my first post here. I am interested in buying a good quality leather jacket and i have looked at the half belt 30s style from fivestar. I do not wish it to be a very "slim fit" since i live in northern Europe and would like to have a knitted sweater under the jacket sometimes. I have not owned this style of jacket before. Can someone chime in on sizing tips or other ideas, i really like the look with single pocket in the front and handwarmers. Of course there is option to customize but i feel the return policy is good to have for a first order.. I'm absolut thinking about what leather to choose between goatskin vs steerhide. Grateful for help pointing me in the right direktion.

I am 181 cm and weight is 90. About 107 chest with a lambwool sweater. Around 103-104 with t-shirt. Thinking about getting the XL.
Measure a jacket that fits you the way you want your jacket to fit and provide those measurements. Fivestar will make your jacket accordingly.

serhen

New in Town
Measure a jacket that fits you the way you want your jacket to fit and provide those measurements. Fivestar will make your jacket accordingly.
Ok! Tempted to do this, but im not sure how to take the right measurements of a jacket, (im not sure i have a jacket with the exact right measurements so i will also need to alter the dimensions a bit) is there a guide or some tips on which measurements that are needed? Someone with experience doing this from fivestar that can chime in?

KBlake

One Too Many
Ok! Tempted to do this, but im not sure how to take the right measurements of a jacket, (im not sure i have a jacket with the exact right measurements so i will also need to alter the dimensions a bit) is there a guide or some tips on which measurements that are needed? Someone with experience doing this from fivestar that can chime in?
Here is an instructional video on how to do it:

KCW2702

New in Town
Hi nice to meet you guys, i am new to the forum.
I am planning to get an schott 618 style double rider
Would you prefer buy a used schott or order a copy form 5 stars?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Used Schott +1. The Steerhides are decent deals for used jackets.

If you want a Perfecto copy from Shawn, get him to do this early 50s one, single back panel, no kidney panel, triple stitching throughout, sleeve and shoulder.

50s perfecto 01.jpg

50s perfecto 02.jpg

50s perfecto 03.jpg

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi nice to meet you guys, i am new to the forum.
I am planning to get an schott 618 style double rider
Would you prefer buy a used schott or order a copy form 5 stars?
5* is a very good option if you want something that is no longer on the market (or very hard to get), you want to create your own design or you have measurements where standard jackets just don't fit and you have to look at the budget.
In all other cases, there are certainly better alternatives.
In this respect, I would take the used original if none of the previously mentioned points apply.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
I think
their front panel looks alright, just the chest pocket can be further down and away from the armpit.
the side panel and lower back panel however might need a rework to make better/ more tapered or more hourglass silhouette and avoiding bunching up
@navetsea In the pictures on the back, the jacket has gotten stuck on the trouser pockets, which is why it looks bulky. In fact, the jacket fits much better than can be seen here :)

Not the best pics but they do convey the fit. The wool reminds me of the last release of SJC’s wool sport jacket. It’s thin but very coarse. Sorry the low light pics don’t highlight some of the details better.
IMG_0812.jpeg
IMG_0811.jpeg
IMG_0810.jpeg
IMG_0809.jpeg

I really like it. The collar is my happy place. Shoulder to shoulder and NFG.

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
It's a cool jacket for sure. I'll be it will be warm! Do you think the wool that was used will stand up to wear and tear of being a full jacket, rather than lining material? Cheers!

It's a cool jacket for sure. I'll be it will be warm! Do you think the wool that was used will stand up to wear and tear of being a full jacket, rather than lining material? Cheers!
Time will tell! For me I wouldn’t want this as a liner. It’s far too dense and coarse. Would create an absolutely itchy oven inside a jacket. I’m not sure if it’s the same wool Shawn used for liners? If so I’d avoid it for that purpose. I swapped out the pull with an Olde tyme chain. Looks more the part. I can’t seem to get a decent pic of this jacket. Have to wait until the weather cooperates.
I’m really pleased with it overall, I think it will see quite a bit of wear so the durability issue will answered in short order!
IMG_0984.jpeg

blood_e

New in Town
im about ready to jump in and buy a trucker from these guys though a few niggles I've heard are that:
the biceps are perhaps too big by default and the shoulders are a bit boxy as seen below.
To rectify these two things, can I simply ask for them to round the shoulders and they will make the proper changes? And how would one correct the overly big bicep sleeves?
Also which pattern on their website would serve as the best base to start with?

Attachments

• DC206586-B922-4E94-94C2-A18D325CBB18.jpeg
    DC206586-B922-4E94-94C2-A18D325CBB18.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 107

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Not the best pics but they do convey the fit. The wool reminds me of the last release of SJC’s wool sport jacket. It’s thin but very coarse. Sorry the low light pics don’t highlight some of the details better.
View attachment 545652 View attachment 545653 View attachment 545654 View attachment 545655
I really like it. The collar is my happy place. Shoulder to shoulder and NFG.
Nice one! beside the leather cuffs, too much for my linking. For me wool cuffs or if any leather on cuffs only as a hemline but false belt in leather…

rcdcr

New in Town
Has anyone ever ordered something like the Freewheelers Caboose from 5star? I really like the aesthetic of the FW but the price is slightly out of reach...

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Used Schott +1. The Steerhides are decent deals for used jackets.

If you want a Perfecto copy from Shawn, get him to do this early 50s one, single back panel, no kidney panel, triple stitching throughout, sleeve and shoulder.

View attachment 545148
View attachment 545149
View attachment 545150

I agree with this in theory but the people who've had him make Perfectos off of pictures ended up having horribly proportioned jackets with tiny pockets and other things.

Better off going with one of his existing Perfecto-style designs, the JC Penney Two Star or the Wolf.

TankPopper

New in Town
Ok, it's time for me second Five Star jacket, and I need some help with the measurement.

My first jacket came out great as far as esthetics go, but the fit has one major flaw - it's very restrictive. This is, most likely, due to the armhole size. being my first jacket, i thought i should make it as big as possible... boy was i wrong.

The armholes are 30cm in size, and i can barely lift my arms to be parallel with the ground. It's a shame, the jacket looks great, but we learn from our mistakes.

so for my next jacket, how do the five star expert suggest i go about it?

I just checked a nice cotton jacket that i have, and the armhole is 26cm.
In the leather jacket from five star, the bicep is 22cm. which fits nice around my arms.

Can I go less than 26? should I?

Your input will be highly appreciated
Tank out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy