Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Bluechel

Practically Family
The comparison is valid b/c:
1. 5 star has increased their prices enough to justify the comparison
2. The assumption that the jackets are "just as good" as x,y,z brand as long as the buyer does the right thing in terms of spec.
Yes, the part some readers are missing here is the discussion of price points. That is critical context. Leave that part out ($400) and it might be easy to misunderstand. No one here is bashing, we are discussing the matrix of errors, rising prices, leather quality inconsistency, communication issues, and others, all with a group thousands of miles away. Again, not bashing, just discussing. Like we do with any and all brands and creators of products. There's certainly not going to be a consensus, nor is anyone expecting that.

KBlake

One Too Many
The comparison is valid b/c:
1. 5 star has increased their prices enough to justify the comparison
2. The assumption that the jackets are "just as good" as x,y,z brand as long as the buyer does the right thing in terms of spec.

If I ran into someone who bought a Yaris I would not ask them why they didn't buy a Mercedes, I would ask them WTF they bought the Yaris for.
I’ve owned Schott and Vanson and, at the risk of sacrilege, I’d put my best 5* examples at or above them. Maybe I’m just not a good judge of quality.

But consider the fact that those brands cost twice as much new and there’s no customization, and to me there’s a clear winner. I’ve seldom found a Schott or Vanson that fit me properly. I’ve essentially given up on off the rack options. That leaves me with options that are all twice as expensive as 5*. Given all that, I think 5* is a great option. Keep in mind that not everyone can justify or afford to pay ~$800-1000 for a single item of clothing.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fivestar is still cheap imo. I mean, you ARE getting a brand new custom made jacket just for you….
Cheap is not the same as inexpensive.
There's a reason why I still have all my Aero, but no 5*. I'd rather have one Aero than three 5*s.
I had many in parallel and could easily have worn the 5*, but I always went for the others anyway.
If you only know 5*, they are of course good jackets. But they don't stand up to direct comparison with better ones. Better is the enemy of good.

I’ve owned Schott and Vanson and, at the risk of sacrilege, I’d put my best 5* examples at or above them. Maybe I’m just not a good judge of quality.

But consider the fact that those brands cost twice as much new and there’s no customization, and to me there’s a clear winner. I’ve seldom found a Schott or Vanson that fit me properly. I’ve essentially given up on off the rack options. That leaves me with options that are all twice as expensive as 5*. Given all that, I think 5* is a great option. Keep in mind that not everyone can justify or afford to pay ~$800-1000 for a single item of clothing.
But how much do you reckon you’ve spent on a closet full of 5 Star? Well over more than one customized Aero.

KBlake

One Too Many
But how much do you reckon you’ve spent on a closet full of 5 Star? Well over more than one customized Aero.
Yes, for sure, but it’s taken me a process to get my measurements and preferences right.

Weren’t you over the moon about your heavy goatskin jacket a couple months ago?

Like most folks in the thread I was trying to convince myself of something that isn't there. The more time I spent with it, as with all my 5 Stars, the more obvious the flawed construction and budget materials became apparent and impossible to ignore.
Yes, for sure, but it’s taken me a process to get my measurements and preferences right.

Good to know.
I would be the very last person to judge someone upon what they can spend. I spend a lot and a little and have found both to be rewarding. The cost and what people can or cannot afford has nothing to do with my feelings about 5 Star. I have explored more brands, new or vintage than most. I feel I can make objective comparisons based on that experience.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I would be the very last person to judge someone upon what they can spend. I spend a lot and a little and have found both to be rewarding. The cost and what people can or cannot afford has nothing to do with my feelings about 5 Star. I have explored more brands, new or vintage than most. I feel I can make objective comparisons based on that experience.
I totally get it, however this is not the impression you gave with your proclamation about Yaris owners.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You can say the same about me.
I always loved my 5* in the initial euphoria. But then the disillusionment set in after the desire to buy was quickly satisfied. Maybe it's like cheap alcohol, fast food, chocolate, ... quick satisfaction, but not lasting and, in case of doubt, a proper hangover afterwards.

And the prices were much cheaper back then. I wouldn't buy a 5* at today's prices.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Like most folks in the thread I was trying to convince myself of something that isn't there. The more time I spent with it, as with all my 5 Stars, the more obvious the flawed construction and budget materials became apparent and impossible to ignore.

The same applies to me e.g. with aero leather jackets, I was over the moon when I had my first aero leather jacket around 20 yrs ago, there are now about 35 aeros in between, lol. I don't own a single one today. On the one hand it was due to the fit, on the other hand it was due to the workmanship or the leather until I discovered the made in Japan leather jackets, what's next?

Drzdave58

One of the Regulars
ive read this thread extensively and have found it very interesting, so I thought I might throw in my 2 cents worth In case it may help somebody considering a purchase. I haven’t owned a 5 * but have an Aero, Bill Kelso and a Schott. Comparing the quality and value of these jacket brands is similar to comparing boot brands in which I have more experience with . I started with Thursday boots and progressed to Viberg, Trickers, Alden, Whites, Flat Head, Grant Stone. Lots of people will be adamant about the quality of Thursday boots which is fine but at the end of the day I believe in my experience the other brands are just at another level .The majority of the reviews seem to me to suggest 5* are at the same level as Thursday boots. For me personally based on my experience Its unlikely I would get a 5* just as it is unlikely I will go by a pair of Thursday boots.

It’s funny because earlier, people were praising them saying things like “great stitching” and “best leather yet” bla bla bla.
I don't think the stitching can be faulted, they do stitch the jackets together well. Best leather yet is an easily obtainable because they are starting very low on the quality spectrum. There is a reason I dyed my 5 Stars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff