Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

58panheadfan

One Too Many
ive read this thread extensively and have found it very interesting, so I thought I might throw in my 2 cents worth In case it may help somebody considering a purchase. I haven’t owned a 5 * but have an Aero, Bill Kelso and a Schott. Comparing the quality and value of these jacket brands is similar to comparing boot brands in which I have more experience with . I started with Thursday boots and progressed to Viberg, Trickers, Alden, Whites, Flat Head, Grant Stone. Lots of people will be adamant about the quality of Thursday boots which is fine but at the end of the day I believe in my experience the other brands are just at another level .The majority of the reviews seem to me to suggest 5* are at the same level as Thursday boots. For me personally based on my experience Its unlikely I would get a 5* just as it is unlikely I will go by a pair of Thursday boots.
+1 It always depends on the eye of the beholder and what experience he has had to compare the different products with each other. Just as you had your experience with boots (where I also have a bit of a say), I had my experience with leather jackets. Schott e.g. is mass-produced, the leather is cut in stacks with a band saw and tailored together in mass production. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but the price they are asking for these jackets is for me way too high. Aero also undoubtedly produces beautiful leather jackets of good quality, but if I can judge the workmanship, these are work horses compared to other manufacturers. Of course, individual taste also plays a big role, e.g. who's like a cxl fqhh probably can't do much with a lighter mid weight veg tan leather etc.

MadCat

Familiar Face
My 2mm steerhide jacket from them looked like a $1500 jacket in terms of stitch quality, fit, and leather. I couldn’t find a flaw on it. It even smelled wonderful. It’s unfortunate some people haven’t had the same experience.

Anyway, I am going to order a custom cossack from them and i’ll post details when it arrives.

Drzdave58

One of the Regulars
+1 It always depends on the eye of the beholder and what experience he has had to compare the different products with each other. Just as you had your experience with boots (where I also have a bit of a say), I had my experience with leather jackets. Schott e.g. is mass-produced, the leather is cut in stacks with a band saw and tailored together in mass production. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but the price they are asking for these jackets is for me way too high. Aero also undoubtedly produces beautiful leather jackets of good quality, but if I can judge the workmanship, these are work horses compared to other manufacturers. Of course, individual taste also plays a big role, e.g. who's like a cxl fqhh probably can't do much with a lighter mid weight veg tan leather.
You make a good point about the costs of these products. I would agree that the retail pricing on some these brands of jackets or boots are too high. I refuse to pay full retail for Alden’s so if I’m looking to make a purchase I generally prefer to try and find a “gently used like new” item.
The BK A 2 I just acquired was almost like new. The HH wasn’t yet broken in and I got it for 1/2 the price of retail. I only pay full retail as a last resort.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
I think a differences that emerged here in this thread from 5Star Leather has probably to do who sewed the jacket and which leather was available at 5Star Leather while producing, as well as of course the cutter who carefully assessed the leather for consistent consistency. I also assume 5Star is probably one of the leading manufacturers in Pakistan in this regard.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
You make a good point about the costs of these products. I would agree that the retail pricing on some these brands of jackets or boots are too high. I refuse to pay full retail for Alden’s so if I’m looking to make a purchase I generally prefer to try and find a “gently used like new” item.
The BK A 2 I just acquired was almost like new. The HH wasn’t yet broken in and I got it for 1/2 the price of retail. I only pay full retail as a last resort.
The price is always a thing. Of course, a leather jacket made in the USA cannot compete with a leather jacket made in Far East in terms of price. The reasons are known, namly the low wages. If you have time and patience, you can still find a bargain every now and then.

Note: Seen this way, the prices for a custom made leather jacket from 5Star are far too expensive. The average monthly income in Pakistan is US-$150.00. A custom-made leather jacket costs US-$400.00. This corresponds to 2.66 monthly wages for a worker in Pakistan. Then a schott costs US-$1'000.00 would basically have to cost US-$12'400.00 with an average monthly income in the USA of US-$ 4'665.00. Or in other words, a leather jacket from 5Star shouldn't cost more than US-$85.00.

Last edited:
The price is always a thing. Of course, a leather jacket made in the USA cannot compete with a leather jacket made in Far East in terms of price. The reasons are known, namly the low wages. If you have time and patience, you can still find a bargain every now and then.

Note: Seen this way, the prices for a custom made leather jacket from 5Star are far too expensive. The average monthly income in Pakistan is US-$150.00. A custom-made leather jacket costs US-$400.00. This corresponds to 2.66 monthly wages for a worker in Pakistan. Then a schott costs US-$1'000.00 would basically have to cost US-$12'400.00 with an average monthly income in the USA of US-$ 4'665.00. Or in other words, a leather jacket from 5Star shouldn't cost more than US-$85.00.
I would say they are realistically, given what they are capable of in terms of build and material, $200 and under is fair.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
The reasons are known, namly the low wages.
Not to forget about environmental laws that leather tanneries in first world countries have to adhere to. Tanneries in the US need to remove toxic chemicals from the highly polluted wastewater before they discharge it into water ways. As a result US tanned leather will be more expensive than leather tanned in third world countries.

Indirect costs (harming the environment) of third world production should not be ignored.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
5* current stuff is leaps forward than just 2 years back. And that's mostly thanks to this thread.
Image5s.jpg

To get these new jackets made in the US, or UK, the price will increase by about $1,000, give or take a hundred.

To get these new jackets made by Shawn's competitor, you can probably get them for free for a review.

Neither (high/low) belongs in this thread, and that is my opinion. Let the 5* customers do their thing.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Not to forget about environmental laws that leather tanneries in first world countries have to adhere to. Tanneries in the US need to remove toxic chemicals from the highly polluted wastewater before they discharge it into water ways. As a result US tanned leather will be more expensive than leather tanned in third world countries.

Indirect costs (harming the environment) of third world production should not be ignored.
+1

You hear enough horror stories about leather from the Far East that releases chemicals after the tanning process that leaves irritations on the skin. If I remember correctly, some forum members also reported such smells on 5Star leather jackets. There is a reason why e.g. shinki leather, which is subjected to a "clean" tanning process for up to 18 months, cannot be produced for peanuts.

Eddiesuave

Familiar Face
View attachment 567196
It fit nicely but I couldn’t convince myself it wasn’t cheaply made. So it went with all my 5 stars, eBay graveyard.
What was it the cuffs? For me I am rethinking the cuffs, they have been looking like gauntlets to me. I’ve been considering ordering another with just a strip covering the sleeve and adjustable sleeve strap and actual belt straps to tie in the sides. But I’ve been considering finding someone else who makes these with better materials without paying upwards of $800

The more I looked at and wore that wool...it's very thin, coarse and I think cheap. Almost like a very coarse felt. Again, compared to other wools it just did not stack up. Simply not as good, not as nice, just not as....everything.
What was it the cuffs? For me I am rethinking the cuffs, they have been looking like gauntlets to me. I’ve been considering ordering another with just a strip covering the sleeve and adjustable sleeve strap and actual belt straps to tie in the sides. But I’ve been considering finding someone else who makes these with better materials without paying upwards of $800

Eddiesuave

Familiar Face
Military jackets from 5* are a different story. 5* invests a lot of work, buys originals or is provided with them. And they can definitely copy.
Their patterns on their military jackets are great, but I get disappointed in their Horsehide leather. In my opinion the leather is too soft and too inconsistent, they sent me leather with leveling tape last time. It looks good sometimes and maybe at times I can convince myself that leather is good soft, but my expectations are too high having leather jackets from Aero Leather, Real McCoy’s, Golden Bear and Buzz Rickson. I’ve considered getting a rough out jacket just to experiment to see if maybe they can do it, but their leather’s fleshy side is so soft and brittle it just falls off when you brush it with your hand. Still not black listing five star since my success with wool jacket, but I’m cautious to say the least.

Eddiesuave

Familiar Face
Ton
The more I looked at and wore that wool...it's very thin, coarse and I think cheap. Almost like a very coarse felt. Again, compared to other wools it just did not stack up. Simply not as good, not as nice, just not as....everything.

Do you know anybody that makes good wool sport’s coats under $500 or am I just having a pipe dream I mean there has to be someone better out there right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou