Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

GraceNote13

One of the Regulars
Review of 1930’s Double Rider in CHL

Background info, due to gaining a lot of weight post Covid buying an off the shelf leather jacket isn’t an option. The sad part is I have a closet full of 42 size jackets that I’m 40# too heavy to wear. I spent weeks reading this thread page by page and purchased two 5* jackets over the course of 4 months. Like others my plan was the first jacket would basically be a fit jacket, so the second jacket could be perfect. If you only read one more thing scroll down to my conclusion to save yourself a lot of time and money.

The Good

Very happy with the CHL. The leather is 2mm thick with a soft hand, very pliable, supple, minimal break in required. Yes, it sounds crazy even though the jacket weighs in at 6.6 pounds the sleeves don’t require any break-in and feel great out of the box. Compared to my Lost Worlds 4+oz jacket this thing is soft as butter. CHL reminds me of an M500 from Johnson Leathers in their naked leather I use to have. The color is a low sheen black, in certain light has greyish tones, with gorgeous grain. The sleeves bend and flex with no effort. Only part of the jacket where the leather is really stiff and feels thicker than 2mm is the large back panel. If I had to guess they used the softer parts of the hide for the sleeves and jacket front leaving the thicker stiffer section for the back panel. The 2pc sleeves taper and curve nicely, stitching is straight and very clean.

No issues with communication, once all the details were agreed on, pattern took 2 days and the jacket shipped 1 week later. When I received the finished jacket pics, I called out the pockets were wrong on the jacket but I would take it as is. Fargham went ahead and redid the pockets, and the jacket was ready 2 days later. I hope the communication continues when I reach out to address the issues.

From Mysteryo’s vintage jacket I changed a few things:

-Black CHL instead of horse hide. (Originally requested the Black overdye Brown CHL but they no longer carry it)
-Lowered D pocket and went with traditional vertical hand warmer pockets.
-Maroon thread with the burgundy wine color satin lining
-Eliminated the large pleat down middle of back
-#8 YKK main zipper in gunmetal grey (after having several of my Talon #5 zippers break over the years I went with @ton312 advice)
-Deer skin lined pockets (if you’ve never done this, highly suggest it!)
-ZigZag stitching on back of collar and reduced collar width to 3”
-Zipper sleeves

The Mediocre

Leather does have a chemical odor totally different than the goat hides. It’s not horrible but it’s noticeable I’m guessing from the tanning process.

The Bad

Shoulders are way too wide, 1.5” wider than requested.

I also requested a much smaller armhole to have a nice fitted sleeve. When I questioned the size pics they said the minimum armhole in the thick CHL with my chest size was 11” measured diagonally from shoulder seam to pit. Regardless it looks huge and baggy.

Biggest issue is the collar position, it digs into the back of my neck even with my arms down at my sides. The leather bunches up right below the collar and pushes my neck forward, no bueno. It feels like the neck hole should have been positioned an inch further to the back. It’s also impossible to lift my arms without the jacket riding up to my ears.

Conclusion

I like some elements of the jacket, but the all-in costs don’t make financial sense. At $460 USD delivered the jacket is a good value, but it cost me $850 to get here and it’s still not right. Even if Shawn offers me a 50% off remake, I’ll be over $1,100 with no guarantee the new jacket will have the right fit. It’s not all 5* fault, they’re making exactly what we ask for most time, plus I’ll admit as leather jacket enthusiasts/collectors we’re very exacting and unforgiving in our standards.

Ultimately, I’m not a professional pattern maker and can’t provide 5* with nuance subtle details that make all the difference when it comes to making the perfect fitting jacket.

Will I buy another 5*? No, but… I’m an addict with a leather jacket addiction with more money than sense somedays.

I’ll take some pics outside soon so you can see it in natural light.
IMG_E1816.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1823.jpg
    IMG_1823.jpg
    587.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1822.jpg
    IMG_1822.jpg
    684.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1799.jpg
    IMG_1799.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1791.jpg
    IMG_1791.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1793.jpg
    IMG_1793.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 109

spectre6000

One of the Regulars
Would you mind sharing your order specifications? My best guess based on the photos is that the back/front length is off. Too much back, not enough front. I'm looking at that, and trying to figure out what went wrong for my own attempt to ride the bull.

Good note on the thicker leather not being able to do super tight arm holes. Makes sense. It either has to fit around the machine arm or be able to be folded up and out of the way.

To wit, I spoke with (whomever is answering the Whatsapp messages, as that's how I've been best able to get responses) today, and what I've been calling a fit/fitment/fitting jacket they call it a "prototype jacket". It's $100 extra, and made in the same cotton twill used on the B10 jackets on the menu. Before cutting leather, you go through the whole process essentially with that (as opposed to starting with the much more expensive leather), and then any issues get ironed out inexpensively rather than getting as deep as one clearly can on a second, third, or fourth jacket.

KBlake

One Too Many

Background info, due to gaining a lot of weight post Covid buying an off the shelf leather jacket isn’t an option. The sad part is I have a closet full of 42 size jackets that I’m 40# too heavy to wear. I spent weeks reading this thread page by page and purchased two 5* jackets over the course of 4 months. Like others my plan was the first jacket would basically be a fit jacket, so the second jacket could be perfect. If you only read one more thing scroll down to my conclusion to save yourself a lot of time and money.

The Good

Very happy with the CHL. The leather is 2mm thick with a soft hand, very pliable, supple, minimal break in required. Yes, it sounds crazy even though the jacket weighs in at 6.6 pounds the sleeves don’t require any break-in and feel great out of the box. Compared to my Lost Worlds 4+oz jacket this thing is soft as butter. CHL reminds me of an M500 from Johnson Leathers in their naked leather I use to have. The color is a low sheen black, in certain light has greyish tones, with gorgeous grain. The sleeves bend and flex with no effort. Only part of the jacket where the leather is really stiff and feels thicker than 2mm is the large back panel. If I had to guess they used the softer parts of the hide for the sleeves and jacket front leaving the thicker stiffer section for the back panel. The 2pc sleeves taper and curve nicely, stitching is straight and very clean.

No issues with communication, once all the details were agreed on, pattern took 2 days and the jacket shipped 1 week later. When I received the finished jacket pics, I called out the pockets were wrong on the jacket but I would take it as is. Fargham went ahead and redid the pockets, and the jacket was ready 2 days later. I hope the communication continues when I reach out to address the issues.

-Black CHL instead of horse hide. (Originally requested the Black overdye Brown CHL but they no longer carry it)
-#8 YKK main zipper in gunmetal grey (after having several of my Talon #5 zippers break over the years I went with @ton312 advice)
-Zipper sleeves

The Mediocre

Leather does have a chemical odor totally different than the goat hides. It’s not horrible but it’s noticeable I’m guessing from the tanning process.

The Bad

I also requested a much smaller armhole to have a nice fitted sleeve. When I questioned the size pics they said the minimum armhole in the thick CHL with my chest size was 11” measured diagonally from shoulder seam to pit. Regardless it looks huge and baggy.

Biggest issue is the collar position, it digs into the back of my neck even with my arms down at my sides. The leather bunches up right below the collar and pushes my neck forward, no bueno. It feels like the neck hole should have been positioned an inch further to the back. It’s also impossible to lift my arms without the jacket riding up to my ears.

Conclusion

I like some elements of the jacket, but the all-in costs don’t make financial sense. At $460 USD delivered the jacket is a good value, but it cost me $850 to get here and it’s still not right. Even if Shawn offers me a 50% off remake, I’ll be over $1,100 with no guarantee the new jacket will have the right fit. It’s not all 5* fault, they’re making exactly what we ask for most time, plus I’ll admit as leather jacket enthusiasts/collectors we’re very exacting and unforgiving in our standards.

Ultimately, I’m not a professional pattern maker and can’t provide 5* with nuance subtle details that make all the difference when it comes to making the perfect fitting jacket.

Will I buy another 5*? No, but… I’m an addict with a leather jacket addiction with more money than sense somedays.

View attachment 586331
Are the sleeves curved? I wanted to convince myself that the CHL is wearable but, for me, its just too thick.

The Good

-Zipper sleeves

The Mediocre

The Bad

Conclusion

View attachment 586331
This is a shame. It also illustrates why the 5 Star model just doesn’t add up. 1.5” over on the shoulder measurement is like going up 4 or more sizes. If I can be frank, the jacket is a disaster. The sleeves are just impossibly constructed. I’ve never seen anything like it. I would demand an immediate return for refund
$460 can buy a jacket 10x times nicer than this.
I can also see your issue with the neck:
IMG_9491.jpeg

This looks down right painful.
IMG_9492.jpeg

Last edited:

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I feel like there's a chance TFL has actually made 5* worse. :D

The mil repros they've made with/for VLJ members have all been pretty solid and, crucially, those guys (as annoying as they can be especially with their contempt for TFL) really emphasized getting the pattern details right.

Meanwhile over here at around the same time people were much more interested in getting them to make ever-thicker leathers and check off features from jackets in photos; this was like a signal mechanism that pattern didn't matter, only millimeters do.

And our newest entrant to the ring is about to repeat our mistake.

Aloysius

I don’t understand the attraction, not even for a second. I get that the freedom to create is appealing to some but Johnson Leather will give you that same freedom while not using poisonous leather and making jackets that are unwearable.

I think a lot of the stuff they've done reproing jackets from collectors on VLJ has actually been pretty great. Mostly it's been G-1 (and ancestor) jackets as well as US and RAF shearlings.

But by and large the TFL crowd isn't into military jackets and didn't put their money where their mouths were in terms of sending originals to study. I think the other difference is that the VLJ guys would send over jacket X, and then 5* would post pictures of their version for feedback from a whole bunch of people.

In contrast, the TFL orders have mostly been one individual's wish list item; there isn't the same kind of rubric to correct, if that makes sense.

I feel like there's a chance TFL has actually made 5* worse. :D

The mil repros they've made with/for VLJ members have all been pretty solid and, crucially, those guys (as annoying as they can be especially with their contempt for TFL) really emphasized getting the pattern details right.

Meanwhile over here at around the same time people were much more interested in getting them to make ever-thicker leathers and check off features from jackets in photos; this was like a signal mechanism that pattern didn't matter, only millimeters do.

And our newest entrant to the ring is about to repeat our mistake.
The fatal error is that one would assume 5 Star has command of basic 3 D pattern around a human beings body. They do not. The jackets will only fit in 2 dimensions. They are flat. Literally laser cut, precision stitched, flat jackets.
As far as the VLJ crowd goes, from what I’ve read, the same beefs get raised and glossed over in the same way they do here.

Aloysius

The fatal error is that one would assume 5 Star has command of basic 3 D pattern around a human beings body. They do not. The jackets will only fit in 2 dimensions. They are flat. Literally laser cut, precision stitched, flat jackets.
As far as the VLJ crowd goes, from what I’ve read, the same beefs get raised and glossed over in the same way they do here.

It depends. They have a higher batting average, and I think it comes down to the aspect I talked about in the next message.

If they do a version of a Rough Wear A-2, for example, everyone there knows how it's supposed to fit and look, so they give feedback accordingly.

TFL orders are much more specific both in sizing, so the only person who can really give feedback is the person who ordered.

Yes I’d agree, the batting average/ on base percentage is better. I don’t go there often to watch the lateral arm raise crowd attempt take off. But I have noticed the same concerns raised. And to be fair, a bag with knits is an easier cut, just straight out of the gate. It’s basic math vs advanced trig. From what I can tell anyway. But I’ll also concede those guys will fuss over details, few of which seem to concern fit.

Aloysius

Yes I’d agree, the batting average/ on base percentage is better. I don’t go there often to watch the lateral arm raise crowd attempt take off. But I have noticed the same concerns raised. And to be fair, a bag with knits is an easier cut, just straight out of the gate. It’s basic math vs advanced trig. From what I can tell anyway. But I’ll also concede those guys will fuss over details, few of which seem to concern fit.

I'm just saying they didn't expect miracles out of the gate and put in work to make the mid-tier wins viable. And I think it works because they are essentially seeking out specific models in close to bulk.

Meanwhile here we have people spending like a grand per unicorn specced Five Star and thinking they're getting a great value because it's cheaper than Aero (and maybe add in the TFL phobia of 'Aero lines' lol).

Meanwhile when I make my annual posts about the Schott factory sale and offer to pick things up for people (so they could get an actual high end jacket for 300-500 new), no one takes me up on it. Tons of actual Perfectos for not much more than the Five Star based on the photo someone sent of a 519, etc.

PilotJens

A-List Customer
I would put some oil on it and then spray it down with water .Put on a few sweaters or zip it up with a pillow of your back .Try to mold the shoulders in order to get the jacket to sit lower .The curve of the shoulders is too high .
I wouldn't write it off to quick .
The jacket rising when doing the "airplane" pose is a bummer.

I really hope that I will have solved the issue on my jacket . The angle/axis of the sleeve will be higher on mine .

PilotJens

A-List Customer
To be honest the jacket rising up with the sleeves looks a lot like a wine cork remover.
If the chance of the sleeve "axis" changes that then I am baffled because that Idea was mentioned like 300 pages ago and was completely disregarded

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@GraceNote13
Thank you for taking the time to review/report on your newest 5*!
That jacket looks like a total beast.
If it had the correct shoulder width, high armholes and neck hole positioned further back - it would be a huge success.
But that's always the story with 5* - 80-90% there but always something off / wrong / missing.
With rare exceptions like Kblake.

The leather thickness also reminds me of the idea I had quite a few times - the thickness of the leather should be at least somewhat proportional to the size of the jacket and how bulky the wearer is.
Would not make sense for an elf like me at 172cm/57kg to wear a 1.5mm+ thick XS jacket, but it does make sense for a bulky and stout person to wear such thick XL+ leather jacket.

Regarding what others have said about VLJ and military repros - no reason why we could not do the same with civilian jackets. There are plenty of members on this forum who have fantastic originals with great patterns. What is missing is the incentive/motivation to take up this endeavor. Ideally we would agree with Shawn that he would arrange a separate and clearly labeled catalog of civilian reproductions based on originals and that, for example, he would make a jacket for you for free (you would only need to pay for the shipping/taxes) if you send in your existing original. That would benefit both him (getting great patterns) and us (getting a free exact fresh copy of an original jacket, potentially with small improvements in terms of fit).

Eddiesuave

Familiar Face
Would you mind sharing your order specifications? My best guess based on the photos is that the back/front length is off. Too much back, not enough front. I'm looking at that, and trying to figure out what went wrong for my own attempt to ride the bull.

Good note on the thicker leather not being able to do super tight arm holes. Makes sense. It either has to fit around the machine arm or be able to be folded up and out of the way.

To wit, I spoke with (whomever is answering the Whatsapp messages, as that's how I've been best able to get responses) today, and what I've been calling a fit/fitment/fitting jacket they call it a "prototype jacket". It's $100 extra, and made in the same cotton twill used on the B10 jackets on the menu. Before cutting leather, you go through the whole process essentially with that (as opposed to starting with the much more expensive leather), and then any issues get ironed out inexpensively rather than getting as deep as one clearly can on a second, third, or fourth jacket.
I think it might just be modeled after a moto jacket, I have an aero Leather CHIPS and Taylor Leather jacket like this. It’s made so it won’t bunch up in the front too much and cover up your rear a little bit more when you’re riding. Definitely something that has a purpose, but I’m not sure if this design is supposed to be in a half belt.

El Marro

I would put some oil on it and then spray it down with water .Put on a few sweaters or zip it up with a pillow of your back .Try to mold the shoulders in order to get the jacket to sit lower .The curve of the shoulders is too high .
I wouldn't write it off to quick .
In my experience these techniques sometimes work to correct small problems or to stretch a jacket just a wee bit so it fits better. In this case though the photos of the jacket show a massive fold of leather behind the neck because the neck hole is in the wrong place. Putting a pillow inside the jacket like the hunchback of Notre Dame is not going to fix that.

Harris HTM

One Too Many

The Good

-Zipper sleeves

The Mediocre

The Bad

Conclusion

View attachment 586331
I would recommend to stop wearing the jacket. The continuous radial pressure, especially with such heavy hide that will never drape, on your neck can cause serious problems. They should offer you a free remake or a refund

1706887505863.png

abbaralph

One of the Regulars
I had them design a u boat jacket based off photos of original prop jackets from the movie das boot that had went on auction. I had them make two slightly different. Each has some issue but is hands above the best u boat jacket reproductions currently available.

I have recently sent them an original I acquired on eBay with the understanding. they would me me the prototype jacket free of charge. The jacket fits me good so I said make it exactly stitch for stitch and inch for inch the same. Communication has left a lot to be desired since they recieved but they said it is in the works, We will see what happens, will post an update.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I had them design a u boat jacket based off photos of original prop jackets from the movie das boot that had went on auction. I had them make two slightly different. Each has some issue but is hands above the best u boat jacket reproductions currently available.

I have recently sent them an original I acquired on eBay with the understanding. they would me me the prototype jacket free of charge. The jacket fits me good so I said make it exactly stitch for stitch and inch for inch the same. Communication has left a lot to be desired since they recieved but they said it is in the works, We will see what happens, will post an update.
This one?

abbaralph

One of the Regulars
That’s the original design they came up based on the pictures I had sent them, although the ones I had made I didn’t have them include the bone buttons and sewed my own metal buttons on. The second of those I had them make with single stitching instead of double stitching, changed the size of the hand warming pockets and lowered where the buttons start on the jacket and slightly increased the overall length.

I have asked them to try to better match the color of the leather to the original I have sent them. We will see what they do with regards to that or if they just use the same matte grey steerhide.

Here is a picture of the original I just sent them

Attachments

• IMG_4661.jpeg
    IMG_4661.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 73

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy