Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

spectre6000

One of the Regulars
The odds of me finding a solid half belt in a size remotely close to fitting are slim. If I sent them just any half decent half belt, regardless of size, would they be able to remake it to where it would actually fit me? Is that what I'm picking out in the subtext here?

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had them design a u boat jacket based off photos of original prop jackets from the movie das boot that had went on auction. I had them make two slightly different. Each has some issue but is hands above the best u boat jacket reproductions currently available.

Why didn't you just order the one they used in the film? Not much more expensive than the Five Star all things considered, not to mention you've ordered three at this point.

PilotJens

A-List Customer
Can you post a fit pic with the collar flipped up ? And one with the jacket laying flat with the collar flipped up .I think I know what the "patternmaker" did in order to "archive" this interesting result .

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Why didn't you just order the one they used in the film? Not much more expensive than the Five Star all things considered, not to mention you've ordered three at this point.
I don't think this is a U-boot, or kriegsmarine jacket. The back is completely different compared to originals, so are the sleeves.
1706899395621.png

1706899414185.png

PilotJens

A-List Customer
Someone messed up while copying the pattern of the original. The neck area has no inward curve to it .

The collar is sometimes pre stitched and then get slits cut into it while sewing the neck curve (3 layers of leather ).However the old original jacket was probably stretched and heavily worn .

After unstitching the collar someone must have stretched the leather while transferring it to a piece of paper .

The added slits from the manufacturing process pulled apart and created a straight line .

You can see the inward curve missing on the five star listing .

The CHL emphasizes that problem.

KBlake

One Too Many
@ton312 and @Marc mndt are right. 5* jackets lack shape. They are leather vests with sleeves. I was very interested in the results of @GraceNote13 recent experiment as I thought he may have cracked the code but the consensus seems to be otherwise.

5* aren't bad but for the price you can get a superior jacket secondhand. The compromise is the measurements. I have had a lot of luck getting my exact measurements with 5* and have not had great luck getting jackets secondhand that fit me perfectly. Given the choice between an inferior jacket with perfect measurements and a superior jacket with short sleeves, for example, I'm going to choose the latter going forward. If you're willing to search, are ok with wearing used jackets and are willing to buy and sell jackets to get the right fit, the secondhand market offers better value than 5*. I rescind all of my previous arguments to the contrary.

I keep reading this thread and hoping for an excuse to send my Ralphs-Pugh jacket to them for a re-make. Then, I hesitate wondering if they deserve the opportunity to pattern the best fitting cross-zip I’ve ever tried on. Jury is still hung.

Aloysius

I keep reading this thread and hoping for an excuse to send my Ralphs-Pugh jacket to them for a re-make. Then, I hesitate wondering if they deserve the opportunity to pattern the best fitting cross-zip I’ve ever tried on. Jury is still hung.

This is something I've thought for a while that we should do.

The issue is, everyone here who has ordered from Five Star has ordered something drastically individual/different. The only person who sent an original vintage to replicate was Mysteryo I think (and his jacket turned out well).

abbaralph

One of the Regulars

Which one are you referring to as the one used in the film that I could order? The dr. Who jacket in black or brown leather that wested makes?? That’s not a replica of a grey leather u boat jacket or even close to the jacket they made for das boot by any stretch of the imagination.

Aloysius

Which one are you referring to as the one used in the film that I could order? The dr. Who jacket in black or brown leather that wested makes?? That’s not a replica of a grey leather u boat jacket by any stretch of the imagination. You need your eyes checked my friend

Thanks, very polite of you.

Wested made the jacket for Das Boot and for Doctor Who except the latter was in black.

abbaralph

One of the Regulars
Thanks, very polite of you.

Wested made the jacket for Das Boot and for Doctor Who except the latter was in black.

They didn’t make the jacket for dr who. The jacket they sell is a copy of the jacket used in Dr. who. And a u boat jacket and the style used in dr who are very different if you take the time to look. And there is also the fact that wested won’t make a custom jacket that would be required to match a u boat jacket

Aloysius

They didn’t make the jacket for dr who. The jacket they sell is a copy of the jacket used in Dr. who. And a u boat jacket and the style used in dr who are very different if you take the time to look. And there is also the fact that wested won’t make a custom jacket that would be required to match a u boat jacket

"Wested Leather Co were contracted to make this ¾ U Boat Jacket in Mid Grey Leather for the Film Das Boot.

But the coat is so good we were asked to remake the jacket in Black worn by Christopher Eccleston in the TV series Dr Who."

Wested is explicit about the jackets they made for films vs the homages.

abbaralph

One of the Regulars
If you take the time to carefully read that statement it doesn’t say they made the jacket for Dr who. That being said, the jacket they sell is not by any means a copy of the jacket they made for das boot. It is have covered extensively the Dr who jacket in this forum if you take the time to look it up. Wested didn’t make it

PilotJens

A-List Customer
That's not a u boat jacket(wested)
It's a reefer coat and Shawn has a exact replica of a vintage original on his site .Ask him for pictures of the real one .

Aloysius

The guy wanted the Das Boot jacket. Wested, per about a decade of discussion at RPF and FIlmjackets, made the jackets for Das Boot.

Anyway, I'm not trying to save anyone from himself. I merely asked a question and provided a link.

abbaralph

One of the Regulars
The guy wanted the Das Boot jacket. Wested, per about a decade of discussion at RPF and FIlmjackets, made the jackets for Das Boot.

Anyway, I'm not trying to save anyone from himself. I merely asked a question and provided a link.
I all honesty I don’t understand your question. want a u boat jacket, not a dr who jacket. Wested may have made the jackets for das boot in grey leather but they don’t anymore. Believe me I have tried for years to get them to. The link you provided is not remotely like the jacket I asked five star to make if you have a discerning eye.

GraceNote13

One of the Regulars
I think it might just be modeled after a moto jacket, I have an aero Leather CHIPS and Taylor Leather jacket like this. It’s made so it won’t bunch up in the front too much and cover up your rear a little bit more when you’re riding. Definitely something that has a purpose, but I’m not sure if this design is supposed to be in a half belt.

This jacket was based on an original 1930 Ralph Pugh that Mysteryo sent 5* a few months ago.

Link to his 5* review https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...remake-of-a-30s-aviators-style-jacket.111653/

@Aloysius I thought I was safe ordering a jacket based on an original pattern, I was wrong. This wasn't a unicorn based on photos. I've learned, It only works if you want an exact duplicate of the original in the same size. Any changes to critcal measurements means were relying on their ability to alter the original pattern and that's where it falls apart.

@TartuWolf Good point on leather thickness related to size, never thought of that. I have a few 2.5oz jackets that are great but I love my 4oz Lost Worlds it feels like wearing body armor. I agree it seems 5* is always 80 to 90% there but can't get over the finish line.

@ton312 I've never minded your honesty or bluntness, I appreciate it. All good brother.

I've reached out to Shawn and Fargham today, I'll keep the thread updated. I have no ill for Shawn or Fargham, I hope they repond accordingly.

GraceNote13

One of the Regulars
Like Mysteryo, if you want an exact duplicate of your Ralphs-Pugh you'll probably get it. Just don't ask for any changes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy