Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Again, Canuck Panda offered a very helpful suggestion, without being insulting. I think you could learn something from that.
And maybe we could all learn better than to try to help people who are looking to buy a Frankenjacket from Five Star. Aloysius is just trying to save you from yourself, that’s not insulting, that’s being helpful.

MrBlue44

New in Town
And maybe we could all learn better than to try to help people who are looking to buy a Frankenjacket from Five Star. Aloysius is just trying to save you from yourself, that’s not insulting, that’s being helpful.
Lol it's a police jacket! God minor changes to a police jacket pattern and suddenly it's a franken jacket! God forbid anyone want anything except a classic highwayman.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
I'd say this recent discussion has completely derailed this thread. Time to lock it again maybe? Feels like we have been more than courteous, polite and helpful without much appreciation. Matthew 7:6 boys!

Aloysius

Lol it's a police jacket! God minor changes to a police jacket pattern and suddenly it's a franken jacket! God forbid anyone want anything except a classic highwayman.

With all due respect, you didn’t know what a police jacket was 24 hours ago (though I recommended you check out Appalachian which made them) whereas the people you’re talking to all have owned them. And I don’t own a Highwayman, though they’re nice jackets.

I’m glad it fits your needs but again it is not what you described wanting to begin with, which is what we all gave feedback on.

MrBlue44

New in Town
With all due respect, you didn’t know what a police jacket was 24 hours ago (though I recommended you check out Appalachian which made them) whereas the people you’re talking to all have owned them. And I don’t own a Highwayman, though they’re nice jackets.

I’m glad it fits your needs but again it is not what you described wanting to begin with, which is what we all gave feedback on.
That's true, only Canuck Panda was helpful enough to point that out.

The description was close enough that he could figure out what I was thinking of without me knowing what it was called. In so doing, he proved that what I wanted was conclusively not a franken jacket because it already exists.

Read my initial post two pages back. Read the description - you'll see that it doesn't end up that far from a police jacket. I would argue that cargo pockets vs patch pockets is a small difference.

So actually I don't know what your point is. It's not a franken jacket if it already exists - unless you still want to argue this point? I didn't know what a police jacket is - isn't it nice that experts like Canuck Panda can help me find visually similar jackets?

El Marro

It's not a franken jacket if it already exists
You’re wrong and I can prove it.
IMG_0156.jpeg

Here is Frankenstein wearing an early LW Grizzly. Definitely a Frankenjacket!

Aloysius

That's true, only Canuck Panda was helpful enough to point that out.

The description was close enough that he could figure out what I was thinking of without me knowing what it was called. In so doing, he proved that what I wanted was conclusively not a franken jacket because it already exists.

I pointed you to jackets along the same lines a day earlier, which you ignored and instead decided to attack people. No, I'm not trying to get some kind of credit for it, merely pointing out that you have this oddly contemptuous attitude towards people who are taking time out of their days to offer you help and resources.

Read my initial post two pages back. Read the description - you'll see that it doesn't end up that far from a police jacket. I would argue that cargo pockets vs patch pockets is a small difference.

It ends up pretty damned far from a police jacket. It read like you were describing a beltless Barbour International with a Perfecto back.

isn't it nice that experts like Canuck Panda can help me find visually similar jackets?

Again, incredible condescending. Everyone here has been helping you find things.

bigmanbigtruck

One of the Regulars
Eh, I think its entirely rational and an important part of being an adult. If I just spent my money on whatever I wanted, I'd not only create problems in my marriage but also in my own goals like retirement and providing for my children.
I don’t mean to sound like a dick - it’s your money to spend however you want and not my business. But if spending $2k on something would mean you can’t provide for your children or put your marriage in jeopardy and that’s the reason you’re trying to go for a custom maker like 5*, I’d just hold off and save up for a maker that delivers more satisfactory outcomes.

This thread has many experienced guys who’ve gotten custom jackets from other makers, then tried 5* only to be disappointed in most cases.

And just to add, you don’t necessarily have to land at $2k. There’s good custom makers that’ll be in the $1k-1.5k range

MrProper

It's not a franken jacket if it already exists - unless you still want to argue this point?
According to your logic, a Frankenjacket is no longer a Frankenjacket when it leaves the planning phase and becomes reality? So my Frankenjacket (which I no longer own) is no longer a Frankenjacket because it exists. Interesting logic.
By the way, I don't know what you're so upset about the name Frankenjacket. That's a free invention and doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Aloysius

According to your logic, a Frankenjacket is no longer a Frankenjacket when it leaves the planning phase and becomes reality? So my Frankenjacket (which I no longer own) is no longer a Frankenjacket because it exists. Interesting logic.
By the way, I don't know what you're so upset about the name Frankenjacket. That's a free invention and doesn't have to be a bad thing.

To borrow from another hobby, the term Frankenwatch is used for watches with mixed parts, but it has also been used affectionately to describe watches that borrow elements from many different watches from a brand's history, but do it well.

Rolex did this with the Tudor Black Bay in 2012, which borrowed elements from their 1950s watches and 70s/80s Canadian Navy watches, and some additional flourishes.

tudor_black_bay_20_5510_sub.jpg

I'd say this recent discussion has completely derailed this thread. Time to lock it again maybe? Feels like we have been more than courteous, polite and helpful without much appreciation. Matthew 7:6 boys!
I feel the thread should be deleted and scrubbed from the lounge all together. This maker has run their course, with little to no improvement in 4 years. Why people are still talking about 5 Star is absolutely beyond me.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I feel the thread should be deleted and scrubbed from the lounge all together. This maker has run their course, with little to no improvement in 4 years. Why people are still talking about 5 Star is absolutely beyond me.
Also, I feel like having the 5* option deters people who are new to the hobby from having the fun experience they could have had when they would have ordered a quality jacket from one of the renowned makers. A maker who actually cares about their customers and understands their needs (even when the customer isn't able to express those needs in great detail).

MrBlue44

New in Town
I pointed you to jackets along the same lines a day earlier, which you ignored and instead decided to attack people. No, I'm not trying to get some kind of credit for it, merely pointing out that you have this oddly contemptuous attitude towards people who are taking time out of their days to offer you help and resources.

It ends up pretty damned far from a police jacket. It read like you were describing a beltless Barbour International with a Perfecto back.

Again, incredible condescending. Everyone here has been helping you find things.

You did, and I never expressed my gratitude for that, for which I apologise. For what its worth I did in fact look at the links you sent but none of them were suitable.

Lol how is it far from a police jacket? I just don't get it, maybe there is something I'm not seeing. Side warmer pockets, chest pockets and epaulettes on a mid length jacket with some kind of action back that isn't a half belt. That's essentially what I described and that's essentially what a police jacket is.

Everyone? No, I'd say only you have tried to be helpful, and Canuck Panda. Apologies if I took some of my anger at you - I should probably have directed it at MrProper in the first place.

It's not a "bizarre mix of elements" if police jackets already have epaulettes, already have have side warmer pockets and already have chest pockets. Oh and they don't tend to be half belts but have action backs, frequently shoulder gussets.

I haven't been condescending - you have all been condescending to me. You insist on calling my idea a Frankenjacket and a bizarre mix of elements that doesn't work together, when the very thing that I described actually exists in mass numbers. Come on, that's rude, and you should know better. Chest patch pockets vs chest cargo pockets is splitting hairs - find me a man on the street who would know the difference.

This is the Fedora Lounge, not vintageleatherjackets.org. On vintageleatherjackets.org, I'd expect people to be up in arms about a jacket that has military elements but is not in fact military nor accurate to any historical military jacket. I'd expect people on the Fedora Lounge to look at form and function over historical accuracy, which is why I'm surprised chest patch pockets vs chest cargo pockets is such a big deal.

A Frankenjacket is no longer a Frankenjacket when it has been manufactured by Aero and Vanson at the very least and in use in many police departments in the USA. Come on! This isn't rocket science. The silhouette of the jacket that I described is visually very similar to a police jacket, which exists in large numbers all around the world, and consequently, what I described is not a franken jacket.

No need to lock the thread - I'll bow myself out and not post again. Some members have been helpful - thank you for that. A lot of you have been incredibly elitist and patronizing. You're not welcoming people into this hobby, you're driving them away from it. The mere fact you think we should not talk about FS leather is concerning. Not good enough for the denizens of FL? Not elitist enough? No differences of opinion allowed?

I probably won't order from FS if you're curious, so don't treat this like I've got some incredible drive to give FS my money. But I think they have their place in the market and I think people should be free to make their own decisions. Advice is appreciated, condescension like from MrProper is not.

I've seen a lot of custom jacket threads on FL and I've never once seen such elitism and condescension directed at someone's idea for a custom leather jacket. Especially when, as it turns out, what the person describes actually exists today. Again, find me a normal man who could tell the difference between what I described and a police jacket.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
You insist on calling my idea a Frankenjacket and a bizarre mix of elements that doesn't work together, when the very thing that I described actually exists in mass numbers.

I'm late to the party so I don't really understand what the big fuzz is about, but if you want a design that exists in mass numbers, my best advice is to look for a vintage example of said design. It will save you money and you will have a much much much better chance of scoring a jacket that you like.
Please don't give your money to Fivestar. Read this thread again and you will realise how often they have managed to screw up custom orders.

mysternee

New in Town
I haven't been condescending - you have all been condescending to me.

Friend, maybe have a think about how likely that is. Everyone else is being condescending, insulting, rude? Everyone else has it wrong, and you have it right? I'm not saying it never happens, but as the saying goes, if three men tell you you're sick, lie down.

I bought a 5* jacket and it was great. You can read my review of the jacket here, and get my overall thoughts about 5* here, and also here. I won't repeat myself for the sake of it, I'll just add that while I had to get the buttons resown, since then it has performed wonderfully. What's more, I recently took delivery of an Aero HBD, so I'm in a decent position to make a comparison. In my opinion, the Aero is a significantly better jacket, and certainly worth the extra outlay. But it doesn't embarrass the 5* or anything. The Aero is significantly better, and more expensive. The 5* is worse, and significantly cheaper. It's a great jacket for the price IMO.

But my 5* is a reproduction. I had some very minor alterations made to a 1:1 copy of an existing, time-tested pattern. It's good because the jacket it's copied from is good. Once you start fiddling with elements and combining patterns, you run the risk of celebrating your 40th with a jacket that makes you blush, and a 25% discount from Shawn on any insult you decide to add to injury.

Be cool, be humble. Listen to the good people here. They'll do you right if you do right by them. I guarantee they'd like nothing more than to see a post in a few months time where you're wearing a killer jacket you love.

Last edited:

El Marro

I really seem to trigger you with so many direct mentions of me LOL
But anyway, good luck with choosing the right jacket, be it a frankenjacket or a police jacket.
Never in a million years would I imagine you being cast as the villain in any exchange here on the lounge. I find your posts to be concise, constructive, and almost uniformly positive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore