Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flat Head Riders Jacket

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Flat Head leather jackets cost more than McCoy's, Rainbow Country etc. so they are not that popular. Even shops that carry their jeans would not necessarily carry their jackets.

Are they better made? or just more money?

Shinki tends to raise the price but as far as the craftsmanship and quality go, I have yet to see a jacket that justifies its price over whatever Vanson's asking for their gear, so...

Blackadder

Last edited:

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
Shink, it I does nothing for me. It's devoid of personality. The cut looks ok, the stitching from what I've seen of flat head is not great, the price? No way.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Old Crow are you saying you dislike the look of Shinki full stop? I've never seen it in life, but the photos I've seen make it look full of personality. Certainly more so than, say, FQHH when new. That said, I'm happy enough with cowhide and goat for my jackets.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Shinki seems to vary greatly in its character. I've seen both very flat, pretty lifeless stuff and hides that have loads of grain and ldepth of colour. I don't think there's a single, set 'shinki'.

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
Old Crow are you saying you dislike the look of Shinki full stop? I've never seen it in life, but the photos I've seen make it look full of personality. Certainly more so than, say, FQHH when new. That said, I'm happy enough with cowhide and goat for my jackets.

All of the shinki I have seen have had any personality pressed out of them.

devilish

A-List Customer
If you read what John Chapman had to say about Shinki you'll see that it all depends on the buying companies taste. The Japanese prefer it flat because so do their customers. Western makers like it with character. John was one of the first, I believe, and had to take special pains to get them to produce leather that looked natural. Consequently his Shinki is right up there with the best leather from anywhere in terms of look and feel. So as Sloan says it's horses for courses. Pun intended.

Superfluous

Old Crow are you saying you dislike the look of Shinki full stop? I've never seen it in life, but the photos I've seen make it look full of personality. Certainly more so than, say, FQHH when new.

Completely agree.

Aero Horween FQHH:

5755319a7bc9747f_s2683-collar-800.jpg

That’s flat!

All of the shinki I have seen have had any personality pressed out of them.

Respectfully disagree. While certain Italian HHs may have more grain, this Flat Head Shinki definitely has personality:

FH_HORSE_06-1025x682.jpg

So too RMC:

RealMcCoysBucoJ10053_zpse6dfea8f.jpg

If you read what John Chapman had to say about Shinki you'll see that it all depends on the buying companies taste. The Japanese prefer it flat because so do their customers. Western makers like it with character. John was one of the first, I believe, and had to take special pains to get them to produce leather that looked natural. Consequently his Shinki is right up there with the best leather from anywhere in terms of look and feel. So as Sloan says it's horses for courses. Pun intended.

I know you are a huge fan of GW and a friend of JC. I too have immense respect for JC and believe his jackets are spectacular (I hope to own a GW jacket soon). That said, many of GW's Shinki jackets are very similar in character to the above-depicted Flat Head and RMC Shinki. For example:

collar_back.jpg

The Shinki that JC uses on his pocket flaps and epaulettes tends to have more character than the leather used on the body.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, I agree that, on average, GW Shinki has more character than many Japanese manufacturers. I simply disagree with the notion that ALL Japanese manufacturers press ALL character out of their Shinki leather. The above-photos demonstrate otherwise. Moreover, it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

I don't know, can't say I've ever seen Shinki in person, but my black Horween FQHH from Aero arrived with more character than most of the 50+ years old leather jackets I've gone through ever displayed - and those are all motorcycle jackets I'm talking about, jackets that have been through a lot. Photos can be deceiving but the stuff the jacket on the first page is made of does look rather flat. Same as how this BK looks beyond incredible: 1621865_728688553828105_885956184_n.jpg

devilish

A-List Customer
Yes, I am a customer and fan of GW but I'm not a friend of John's. We've had some friendly emails and I hope to get to meet and talk at Denimbruin this year but that's it. I was actually arguing against the statement that all Shinki is flat. Trying to explain that it all depends on how it's treated and what the various makers and customers prefer.
That Flat Head jacket isn't that bad as far as leather character goes. It's just a little underwhelming to me. Middle of the road in design and appearance but with a top end premium price. It's just an opinion and nothing more.

I think a lot of this "character" being discussed might be "graining" or the "jerky" parts. When Goodwear sent me various samples of horse hides, I chose the Shinki because the "grainy" parts were more pronounced. Also, The piecing together of the jacket parts would account for where the "grain" shows up. Some larger makers might forego using the wrinkly parts, while some smaller companies may use the whole hide...or mix-n-match.
I don't think the flat-head leather lacks character so much. But the color sure is lackluster to me...not very much depth going on there.

Last edited:

Superfluous

I don't know, can't say I've ever seen Shinki in person, but my black Horween FQHH from Aero arrived with more character than most of the 50+ years old leather jackets I've gone through ever displayed - and those are all motorcycle jackets I'm talking about, jackets that have been through a lot. Photos can be deceiving but the stuff the jacket on the first page is made of does look rather flat. Same as how this BK looks beyond incredible: View attachment 15607

That is F'ing gorgeous! if your leather arrived looking like that, I want that leather!

Yes, I am a customer and fan of GW but I'm not a friend of John's. We've had some friendly emails and I hope to get to meet and talk at Denimbruin this year but that's it.

My apologies. Your posts, here and elsewhere, suggested inside knowledge. BTW, I am eagerly awaiting information about GW's forthcoming new design which apparently will be revealed at Denimbruin.

I was actually arguing against the statement that all Shinki is flat. Trying to explain that it all depends on how it's treated and what the various makers and customers prefer. That Flat Head jacket isn't that bad as far as leather character goes. It's just a little underwhelming to me. Middle of the road in design and appearance but with a top end premium price. It's just an opinion and nothing more.

Understand. The FH certainly is top end price. The design is rather simple, but that is part of what attracts me to it. Not sure about the color or overall appearance. I have to see it in person. I wish there wasn't a 2 year wait for JC's Californian Ventura.

devilish

A-List Customer
^It's all good. Sometimes this internet stuff can be tricky. I am friends with Mr. Randal on denimbro which sometimes gets me a little inside info but that's as far as it goes.

That is F'ing gorgeous! if your leather arrived looking like that, I want that leather!

Hah, unfortunately, since they deal mostly in A2's and MC jackets is what I wear, I've never handled a BK jacket so I can't claim anything, but Bill Kelso facebook page is often updated with new photos of jackets and leathers and so far, I have yet to see one that was anything short of perfect. So, I'm guessing they really do arrive like that. Damn shame BK doesn't do riding jackets...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner