Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flight Apparel Industries

omar

New in Town
Hey guys; anybody know about these jackets? I thought it was Gibson and Barnes, then realized that they were Flight suits inc. Thanks Omar

omar

New in Town
Thanks Bellytank, that's just what I needed to know, and about what I thought.Like so many of these "mid-line" jackets it seem that if the price is right it's worth pursuing. Thanks also for the quick response- faster than fumbling around on the internet! best wishes, Omar

galvestonokie

Familiar Face
Flight Apparel G-1

i think they also made some G-1s that were sold on Navy and USMC bases in the PX, maybe in the 1980s. i'm pretty sure these jackets were sold there as a buddy of mine has one. not sure of the date. bob

omar

New in Town
Thanks, the date sounds right after reading Bellytank's post. I'm looking at a A-2,but it is interesting to know they made a G-1 also. From what I've seen, their jackets look pretty good, and if they were selling them "on base" so to speak, they can't be too bad; thanks for the info! Omar

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
cLassic footnote to a-2/g-1 history

flight apparel industries produced a-2s and g-1s in hammonton new jersey...i've one of each from them...or him

i say him as the owner of the co. sadly died in a plane vs. plane accident in hammonton in 1983, so nothing more was made by them after that

the a-2s are thin leather with biG 70s collars that are really dated and of the shaft era (talkin' bout shaft?)

despite my disappointment with a second grade a-2 i later purchased a g-1 and was surprised to find it on par with the best of that era...i have both for sale...both in mint condition...after this post i clearly won't ask much for the a-2, but the g-1 is superb...size 46 long, equal to a civilian size 44-46...the size of the fai g-1 is a bit more accurate than most g-1s of the era

go for a g-1 by them, stay away from an a-2 unless you like thin leather and a disco collar

good luck

Interbak

One of the Regulars
Sorry Johnny,

I have to disagree 100% with your assessment of the FAI A-2. The leather on mine is an excellent mid-weight hide in a great medium brown. The collar is not over sized at all, and is comparable my current Aero real deal. This is one of my favorite A-2's, it some how seems more real than the current crop of repo's that seem to try too hard to be perfect. Obviously it won't compare to a high end repo like a Goodwear, but for under a $100.00 (I paid $80.00 Canadian)you can't beat them. My only complaint on details is the epaulets only have s single stitch line down the edges rather than dual. If you can pick one up for a good price I think you'll be surprised at how good a jacket it is.

Brian

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
A-TWO

well, don't be sorry for disagreeing! i think it's wonderful if you have a good one, or if maybe i was just being a bit too critical

these were made for actual sale to military personnel, full milspex and contract numbers. i know the g-1 is amazing and as good as it gets...it's nice to know the a-2 has some respect as well

i'm just wondering if there was some variance between the different a-2 cuts produced by FAI...i know on a much earlier thread on fedLounge here, the jacket looked pretty sharp on someone, but there were indeed comments about how big the collar was...FAI made jackets through 1983 so i'm wondering if the collar, and thickness, improved as the 70s receded in time

i'm not going to get another to compare them, tho i'd have no qualms getting another FAI g-1...my 46Long is a bit tight around the neck when fully zipped up...it's minty with no damage, so if anyone's interested

i do like FAI as one of the authentic mil providers, and a co. that has a place in post war military jacket history, and am happy to hear good reviews for their A-2...thanks for adding additional info as my review have been a bit sour on their a-2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner