Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flightsuits G-1 collar

pwd

New in Town
2-3 years ago I got a Flightsuits/Gibson & Barnes Expedition--fantastic jacket.

A little later, I got a Flightsuits Civil G-1 jacket with a leather collar instead of the standard mouton wool collar. One thing I always notice is that the G-1 collar is much rounder and not nearly as pointed as the Expedition collar. In fact, its roundness does not seem to fit with the squared pockets on the G-1.

I've considered having the collar replaced, but wonder why they would put a rounded collar on a G-1 in the first place, when most of the other military jackets in their catalog have sharper collars. Any thoughts?

Hamsterjeep

New in Town
Flight Suits Civil G-1

If you are the original purchaser of the FS's civil G-1 you can send it to them to have a genuine mouton collar installed. (a plain collar was an option)
I picked up an almost new jacket exactly like yours on ebay for about $100, and decided that the collar should be mouton so I sent it in to them to have one installed. It cost a total of about $65 including shipping to have the work done, and the results are perfect- it looks like it always had a fur collar. Not bad to spend just over $150 to get a new G-1. This made the jacket much more wearable and better looking.If you didn't buy the jacket as the original purchased then just don't mention that fact. I don't know why it would make a difference as 1) they made the jacket to begin with, and 2) you're paying for the work to be done. Also, they do not work on any other jackets not made by them (duh!) and lately they haven't even done any resto work on original WWII jackets like they did in the past. FS's, (now G&B) makes the best jackets for the money. Other jackets are very nice as well, but they can top $700 or more, some having to be imported from the UK or NZ and the added customs/import duties.
My FS/GB count is around 10 or so jackets. They fit me the best.
Hope this helps.:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925