Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flip Flops Hurting Career?

Siirous

One of the Regulars
I'm Best Man and my oldest friends wedding in august. His fiance planning the wedding has all the bridesmaids/groomsmen in flip flops. :(

Mike K.:

As a UCF Undergrad, I too despise the never ending stream of flip flops into classrooms. Most of my teachers are shocked when they see my fedora!

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I really don´t like flip flops. I tried them for one summer a few years ago and all I got was hurting feet. Besides they don´t look too good. When I wanna go casual I prefer ballerinas and Espandrillos for sure!

magneto

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
Flip-flops in themselves are not that bad. The truly horrible sandals are BIRKENSTOCKS. Look awful on everyone, clean feet or no. When old, they're pretty much beef jerky and stink like crazy!

Ah yes! See, flip-flops have a legit purpose (as beachwear and shower/pool shoes) whereas the purpose of Birkenstocks is null. Although, making the wearer look as paddlefooted, unattractive and dunderheaded as possible is a purpose of a sort. They also serve as a warning to all right-thinking people: "you and the wearer of this awful footwear are separated by an immense sartorial, stylistic and lifestyle gulf. Attempt at friendship (or further) is strongly discouraged. Run away now!"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Birkies make even the nicest, cleanest, most elegant feet in the world look lumpy and fleabitten. And the sad thing is, you get the feeling that's exactly what the wearer wants.

The sixties have so much to answer for. Blech.

skinnychik

One of the Regulars
Sefton said:
Will you actually be able to inact such a dress code? I think it's a good idea all around to teach young people the value of proper dress,but don't most schools tend to get cold feet (pun intended) when it comes to issues of "personal expression"? You could end up with a pack of attack lawyers on your neck. At least that's usually what happens here in Northern California.

Wow, it never occured to me to object to a professor's dress code. I had a history professor who included a dress code on his syllabus. No shorts or skirts shorter than fingertip length & no cleavage ever. He said that he was a happily married man and wished to stay that way.

He did, on occasion, request that an individual dress "in a more dignified fashion" the next time he or she attended class.

Maybe no one ever complained, perhaps because he was an old man so he was entitled to his pet peeves.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
As I said in another post . . .

If the shoe does not lace, fold over, or tie to my foot, and if it stays on the ground while my sole is in the air as Im taking a step, its wrong.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy