Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flip Flops Hurting Career?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Not the same now

When I was growing up, flip-flops were called "thongs." We wore them to the pool or beach, which is where I wear my $3 pair. They serve the purpose of keeping my tootsies out of other guy's toe jam in the locker room.

(yuck. that picture was too gross even for me - deleted)

A female employee in my office wore them to work last Friday. I just looked down at them and said "uh-uh."

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Should the students also receive an in-the-classroom education on the finer points of life, like dressing well?

I always dressed very well when I was in college, to the point that most people thought I was faculty, rather than a student. I simply could not stand to walk around in sloppy pajamas and flip flops. Yuck!

I did have a marketing teacher that spent an entire class session discussing how to dress for interviews and your career in general. He was very big on presenting the right image (after all, this was an advertising course) and went so far as to point out the little details that make you look sloppy—and remarked that yes, people do notice even the tiniest of details. I enjoyed that class session, as about 2/3 of the 200 students in there needed his advice :rolleyes:

Irena

One of the Regulars
I wear flip-flops at work... because I work at a pool. They save my feet from the concrete, and that's all (I found a pair with a bit of arch support). To and from work I dress decently, and change when I arrive (edit: no, I don't change into indecent clothing). The others come in pj's and flip-flops. How can you drive in flip-flops? I tried it once... doesn't work very well.

Mike K.

One Too Many
blew out my flip-flop, stepped on a pop top....

I finally figured it out. That incessant noise I've been hearing...it's the sound of millions of Floridians all wearing those darn flip-flops. I must admit that I own one (and only one) set of flip-flops. They get worn to take the dog out to pee and to go to the beach (even then I often wear boat shoes instead). I'm off for the summer doing field research but I've decided to enact some changes in my college classroom once fall semester rolls around. I have noticed a small number of students who dress well (i.e. decent, professional, with style, etc.). I suspect these are the ones coming to class directly from work. However, there are still way to many baggy shorts, flip-flops, thongs showing, lingerie as outerwear clothing styles present on campus (some of the gals can be a real distraction:eek:). I'm definitely considering a few "life lessons" on professionalism and classroom dress/etiquette...will keep you posted on the results

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I don't even like sling-backs for that thwopping sound they make. The only sling-backs I own have little straps attaching the sling back to the sole.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wear 'em when I step outside for a smoke, that's about it. I used to wear them a lot as a kid during summer vacation, and they're practically a requirement in Hawaii.

But yes, no support at all, and the soles of my feet rub back and forth on them when I walk, giving me a rough approximation of the ol' "Hot Foot."

SWTroopers

Familiar Face
mysterygal said:
Also, the sounds they make when walking, really grate on me

That and the fact that most folks can't seem to manage to pick up their feet while wearing them. The sound of them dragging on the ground just bugs me. Sounds too much like laziness!

Irena

One of the Regulars
mysterygal said:
Also, the sounds they make when walking, really grate on me

I hate that sound! thwappettey, thwappettey... Since I do wear them at the pool, I've learned to walk silently! It's not that hard, and I do wish that others cared enough to do the same.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Mike K. said:
I finally figured it out. That incessant noise I've been hearing...it's the sound of millions of Floridians all wearing those darn flip-flops. I must admit that I own one (and only one) set of flip-flops. They get worn to take the dog out to pee and to go to the beach (even then I often wear boat shoes instead). I'm off for the summer doing field research but I've decided to enact some changes in my college classroom once fall semester rolls around. I have noticed a small number of students who dress well (i.e. decent, professional, with style, etc.). I suspect these are the ones coming to class directly from work. However, there are still way to many baggy shorts, flip-flops, thongs showing, lingerie as outerwear clothing styles present on campus (some of the gals can be a real distraction:eek:). I'm definitely considering a few "life lessons" on professionalism and classroom dress/etiquette...will keep you posted on the results

Will you actually be able to inact such a dress code? I think it's a good idea all around to teach young people the value of proper dress,but don't most schools tend to get cold feet (pun intended) when it comes to issues of "personal expression"? You could end up with a pack of attack lawyers on your neck. At least that's usually what happens here in Northern California.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Sefton said:
Will you actually be able to inact such a dress code? I think it's a good idea all around to teach young people the value of proper dress,but don't most schools tend to get cold feet (pun intended) when it comes to issues of "personal expression"? You could end up with a pack of attack lawyers on your neck. At least that's usually what happens here in Northern California.

They won't be able to do anything about him telling him, surely? In fact I'd be inclined to suggest that not telling them would be a failure to properly prepare them for the workplace. Suggesting that it would be a good habit to get into can't be that bad either, even if you can't make them dress like they care.

G. Fink-Nottle

One of the Regulars
Baron Kurtz said:
Dammit, i thought this thread was about someone's career which simply involved harming flip flops.
bk

I'm not sure that anyone's career will be hurt by this. The move towards slobbism is unstoppable. While I'm not sure that everyone will be wearing a towel in public in five years, I do see the day when shorts (sitting below the belly, of course) and flip-flops will be acceptable business casual during the summer months.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There is only one career where flip flops are appropriate workplace attire.

lifeguard.jpg

Simple rule of common sense -- if this isn't you, flip flops stay home.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:
Dammit, i thought this thread was about someone's career which simply involved harming flip flops.

bk
lol If I ruled the world I'd harm flip flops on a daily basis. I hate those toe post things, they really hurt. I think I'm just higher up the evolutionary chain and my toes are welding together into one! :D Flip flops. Beach, garden, club, and informal shopping wear. Not work, unless you're a beachcomber, and even then, what about all those spiny, lurky sea creatures. Paddling pools...

Mike K.

One Too Many
Didn't mean to sound too "forceful" about the dress code thing. Unless the university enacts some sort of policy the students are free to wear what they choose. However, professors can employ certain classroom "rules" such as chemistry instructors prohibiting open shoes (like flip-flops) in the lab for safety reasons. I always look for those "teachable moments" to educate my students about issues outside the typical lesson plan of the day, and this is what I hope to take advantage of regarding student attire. Personally, I'd like to see everyone set a good example (dress, manners, etc.) and not be afraid to speak out against what others are doing. You don't have to be brutally honest, rude, or inconsiderate. Many people don't realize their clothing, mannerisms, language, etc. are a problem for others. They can be made aware in a way that makes them actually want to change.

Slightly off topic, but has anyone read Dale Carnegie's book "How to Win Friends and Influence People" - great words of advice straight from the era we love here at the FL.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Idea!

Mike K. said:
Didn't mean to sound too "forceful" about the dress code thing. Unless the university enacts some sort of policy the students are free to wear what they choose. However, professors can employ certain classroom "rules" such as chemistry instructors prohibiting open shoes (like flip-flops) in the lab for safety reasons. I always look for those "teachable moments" to educate my students about issues outside the typical lesson plan of the day, and this is what I hope to take advantage of regarding student attire. Personally, I'd like to see everyone set a good example (dress, manners, etc.) and not be afraid to speak out against what others are doing. You don't have to be brutally honest, rude, or inconsiderate. Many people don't realize their clothing, mannerisms, language, etc. are a problem for others. They can be made aware in a way that makes them actually want to change.

Slightly off topic, but has anyone read Dale Carnegie's book "How to Win Friends and Influence People" - great words of advice straight from the era we love here at the FL.

Maybe use Dale Carnegie's book as part of your curriculum? Or is that what you are thinking? :)

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Synchronicity at work.

I went into the front office today, and one of the ladies that holds a fairly prominent position there was wearing,...you guessed it, FLIP FLOPS!!! lol
It was "Casual Friday" afterall, and if I had mentioned this topic to her it would have been a complete waste of time and energy. :eusa_doh: lol
So I just let it slide. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy