Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flip Flops Hurting Career?

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
Are flip-flops damaging your career?
Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:47 AM ET

By Belinda Goldsmith

NEW YORK (Reuters) - With more women wearing flip-flops to the office this summer, U.S. style gurus are warning that the casual shoe once mainly seen on the beach could be damaging to careers -- as well as to feet.

Lauren Cardinale, 25, who works at West Glen Communications, wears beaded or other fancy flip flops to the office -- when she can get away with it.

"Occasionally I wear flip flops to work," she said. "I wear nicer shoes if I'm meeting with clients or if I know there will someone in the office who doesn't approve of flip flops."

Cardinale is one of thousands of young women in New York who consider flip-flops an essential part of their summer wardrobe.

An online survey conducted for retailers Old Navy and Gap found flip-flops topped the list of wardrobe items that college and high school students planned to wear to work this summer.

More than 31 percent of women said flip-flops were the single "must have" item for work this summer.

But many companies disagree.

"The dress code says no beach wear and flip-flops are considered beach wear," said a spokeswoman for BNP Paribas.

Style gurus warn that flip-flops, which are worn mainly by younger women, could be harmful to a career.

"Shoes convey the mood of a woman. Wearing flip-flops conveys the mood that you are relaxed and on vacation. That's not a good message in the office," said Meghan Cleary, a style commentator who wrote the book "The Perfect Fit: What Your Shoes Say About You."

Doctors say it's not just careers they could harm.

Physicians at the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons say flip-flops are linked to a growing number of heel problems among teens and young adults.

"We're seeing more heel pain than ever in patients 15 to 25 years old, a group that usually doesn't have this problem," said spokeswoman Marybeth Crane in a recent statement.

She said flip-flops with thin soles have no arch support and can accentuate any abnormal biomechanics in foot motion which eventually brings pain and inflammation.

$140 FOR FLIP-FLOPS?

Flip-flops are far from new, dating back at least 70 years and believed developed out of traditional Japanese woven or wooden soled sandals in New Zealand.

The basic flat sole with a Y-shaped strap, that passes between the toes and around either side of the foot, is known in every nation and to every social class.

In developing countries, they are the cheapest -- and often only -- form of footwear, easy to make and easy to fit.

The term "flip-flop" derives from the noise they make while slapping against the wearer's heels and the floor but they are also known as thongs in Australia, jandals in New Zealand, and slippers in Hawaii.

But flip-flops took on a new life among the young and trendy a few years ago. They have surged in popularity with shops now selling them in every conceivable color, with sequins, flowers, and even bridal flip-flops with over 300 Swarovski crystals on the straps for about $140 a pair.

Last June the Northwestern University's champion women's lacrosse team was widely criticized for wearing flip-flops when they visited the White House and met President George W. Bush.

Ellen Campuzano, president of the Committee of Color and Trends, a New York-based forecasting service specializing in footwear and accessories, thinks flip-flops' popularity will wane.

"Usually these trends come and go in about five years," she said. "I think we've reached the peak, they can't be any more widespread, so maybe next summer something will replace them."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© Reuters 2006.

One can only hope that "something will replace them!" Let's hope it will be something vintage inspired!

Jessica

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
ugggg

I am currently wearing leather slide on sandals to work. Not flip flops, but I still feel odd about it, they feel very casual to me.

I am stuck doing this because I have an achillies tendon injury that gets worse when I wear shoes that press against it, hence the slide on sandals.

Granted, I am not even out of place, and yes, women are wearing flip flops.......
and here I am feeling horrid for wearing something even close.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
My wife talked me into getting a pair for the summer, I don't think I've owned any for 20 years. They are hands down the most uncomfortable shoes I own. They work fine for going to the beach but besides that I don't wear them, not even around the house.

Feraud

Bartender
Talk about slaves to fashion. Has anyone ever worn a pair of flip-flop and walked on a hard surface? It is murder on the feet! Why anyone would wear them on anything other than sand is beyond me.

As an alternative for work flip-flops are as appropriate as slippers are. A Human Resource department should slap 'em with the old dress code manual. :eusa_doh:

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I personally don't like flip flops either. they're just so uncomfortable! I do own lots of sandals for the summer time however.
Flip flops are just NOT a work appropriate shoe!
Also, the sounds they make when walking, really grate on me

Mike K.

One Too Many
I'm a college professor and get to see all sorts of fashion statements in the classroom. Both the guys & gals here in south Florida seem to think that flip-flops are THE footwear of choice. The guys also show up to class in baggy shorts, while the gals show up in stuff that looks more like lingerie. Used to be that attending college was an honor & privilege, and you dressed accordingly...professional. I've been thinking of instituting a dress code in my classroom. As I see it, college is not just about getting schooled in a particular field of study, it's also a right of passage into adulthood and a career. What do you think? Should the students also receive an in-the-classroom education on the finer points of life, like dressing well?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Mike, this day in age...in would most certainly help! It would be interesting to find out how many of your students do know how to dress appropriately for the work place.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I used to make a joke, and I meant it as a joke not a prediction, that dress was getting so casual that soon people would be walking around in the pajamas. Well, now in Boston, most young women now walk around in precisely that, their pajames: in bars, supermarkets, everywhere. :eusa_doh:

I am convinced that in five years, we will all be wearing towels.

Needless to say, I do not wear flip-flops. I wear boat shoes.

I'm sure we all remember the young lady who met the President wearing them!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
maybe another prediction come true? I have seen a couple of times recently of women driving around with a towel on thier head!
I see younger kids all the time wearing outfits that look like pj's. Who know's, maybe that's what they are! Even their hair looks like they just rolled out of bed!

Feraud

Bartender
Hemingway Jones said:
I used to make a joke, and I meant it as a joke not a prediction, that dress was getting so casual that soon people would be walking around in the pajamas. Well, now in Boston, most young women now walk around in precisely that, their pajames: in bars, supermarkets, everywhere. :eusa_doh:
For a while in NYC I noticed what looked to be high school age girls walking around with pajama style pants. I think it has died down. I thought it was odd but thought it better than low cut jeans with a thong hanging out. I caught myself trying to rationalize the benefit of one stupid trend over another! lol

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
"Lauren Cardinale, 25, who works at West Glen Communications, wears beaded or other fancy flip flops to the office -- when she can get away with it.

"Occasionally I wear flip flops to work," she said. "I wear nicer shoes if I'm meeting with clients or if I know there will someone in the office who doesn't approve of flip flops."

And if the big client or The Man shows up unexpectedly? That's one reason to dress appropriately every day.

Feraud

Bartender
..and appropriate does not mean dressy or God forbid "uncomfortable"! It simply means correct for the situation.
What people miss is the idea of dressing for the sitation. I will not wear a suit to a beach party yet think sandals are not quite right for work.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I’ve only owned two pairs of such horrid things and it was before I even owned a stitch of vintage! I never liked them… I only wore them if I was going to a lake or a beach… even then I wore regular shoes to the place and then put on the flip-flops… ugg, leaves a nasty taste in my mouth just saying that! But, yeah, I have pretty much always thought they were ugly looking things!

I’ve heard them called some bad things, as like non PC names… they have a history as being known as “Jap Slaps” or “Nip Slips” it’s so awful I know but, that’s the original name from the 60’s and 70’s.

I hate being in a place and hear this incessant “Slip slap, slip, slap” Arrg! It’s so irritating! And most people who wear these things don’t have the nicest looking feet either…. EEeww! Why make the public suffer?

They’re not only bad for fashion, but they’re really bad on one’s feet… they have no support and will give you foot problems down the road.

=WR=

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
The irony is that flip-flops are the single most popular item of footwear in the world. More people wear wear flip-flops than any other specific type of shoe, and for one reason alone: they're extremely cheap and available. Go to Asia, Africa, the Indian subcontinent, the Caribbean, Central America and Brazil, and what do you see? A billion people wearing flip-flops. And they're the lucky ones: a billion more have no shoes at all.

Middle and upper class Americans wearing "Third World" flip-flops everywhere is equivalent to their adoption of "working class" blue jeans for everyday use, back in the '70s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy