Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else hating the hot weather

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
On this side of the Pond (the UK), summer has arrived with a vengeance, with gentle spring days and cool nights giving way to heat and seemingly interminable bright light. I have suffered from seasonal depression in summer for many years - I come alive again in autumn /Fall and love three out of the four seasons in different ways.

Are any of you also already dreaming of falling leaves, soft cool light, crisp mornings, etc.?

On this side of the Pond (the UK), summer has arrived with a vengeance, with gentle spring days and cool nights giving way to heat and seemingly interminable bright light. I have suffered from seasonal depression in summer for many years - I come alive again in autumn /Fall and love three out of the four seasons in different ways.

Are any of you also already dreaming of falling leaves, soft cool light, crisp mornings, etc.?

I’m definitely right there with you. I used to live on the coast in the Pacific Northwest and we rarely saw a summer high temperature that exceeded 75 degrees Fahrenheit, and we often had summer days where the highs were in the 50s. I loved it. The marine layer was an almost daily blessing and there wasn’t any harsh glare.

Currently, we fell lucky if the summer highs don’t break into the 100s, and it’s not uncommon to have a couple weeks in a row of over 100 degree days. The nights offer only minimal relief.

The coolness of autumn and the crispness of the air and the crunch of frost beneath my feet; these are the thoughts that keep me going through the long summers. Sadly, our summers seem to last longer than they used to and our winters have been warmer too.

I’d welcome warmer, sunnier weather here, where we’ve had a springtime quite untypically cool and rainy for this region. At this time last year my rose bushes were ablaze with blooms. This year only one bush has produced blossoms, and only three or four so far.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We've had two hot days since April, and everything else has been cold and raw and Octobery. Right now it's threatening to get out of the sixties, and people are standing on the street blinking into the sun and trying to figure out what's happening. I spend twelve hours a day working in rooms without windows, so I'm generally oblivious until I realize it's raining and I forgot to bring my raincoat.

Well, here on the west coast of Canada it is still cool. Mid to highs teens (C) ...mid to low 60's (F). I could use a little heat but will have to wait another 3 weeks or so. Our summers show up in July sometime.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I feel extremely envious of belfastboy in Western Canada, Lizzie in Maine and tonyb wherever he is in North America.

‘Raw and Octobery’: bring it on.’

‘Summer shows up in July’: my kind of place. …

Last edited:

Jon Crow

One of the Regulars

Here in Madrid 22c 5am 38c or more days, not always enjoyable

Edward

Bartender
London is beginning to enter that time of year that I find quite beastly. This is the time of year when, were I of means, I'd seriously consider decamping to a holiday home somewhere like Rye for the worst of July. A more realistic prospect post-pandemic with WFH a more viable option, albeit that UK academic salaries have not shifted in the right direction to make it something that can be realised. It could, of course, be worse: I am just back from a week in Beijing, during which we had a single day under 30 Celsius (mercifully, the day of the graduation ceremony when we were in gowns, albeit that we mostly retreat to shirt sleeves under the same to make it bearable). Several days last week reached 39, and a number of our downtime activities were chosen exclusively on the basis of being indoors and air conditioned. I'm not looking forward to my leave at the end of July, usually the hottest part of the year in London. I would wait and take it later on, but unfortunately the University changed the leave year to end in July rather than follow the calendar year, so if I don't take those three weeks then, I'll lose them. (There's no mechanism for us to sell leave back, and we can only carry over a maximum of five, which I do each year. I'll lose four days this year in all probability. It's a real pest).

Leather Walker

Practically Family
I live in Barcelona, walking the streets from 1 to 7 pm it's like when you open the oven to take the pizza out. It's horrible, the little air that blows is warm, like a giant breath. The worst thing is humidity: yesterday noon went up to 70% and 30ºC. You come out of the shower and you're sweatin' again. Every day I feel more like this:
51ABVYEYEEL.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The hot weather I can enjoy, there again I live on the edge of a National Park known as The New Forest. It's a far cry from the overcrowded area of East London from where I once hailed.

Living where I do is not without it's problems though. The forest itself is very popular with Brits and others, add to that the main highway through the forest is the route to the popular coastal towns and resorts beloved by sun worshippers.

Winchester is about thirty miles from here, at Winchester two arterial routes merge, one from the south side of London, the other from central England, what we term as, The Midlands. When the weather turns warm that thirty miles can actually fill with traffic, nose to tail. That is how it's been since the start of the current heatwave. Sunday evening sees the scenario in reverse. That's the reason I prefer it cooler, it means far less traffic.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Most mornings at my place this time of the year it's around 4° C, though last week there were two mornings at 0.7° and 1°. It's bearable so long as there's not a wind chill factor to drop it down further, which makes the 15-minute trudge to work from the car park pretty unpleasant. We get a layer of frost on the lawn at those temperatures. Heavy snowfalls in the southern part of the Great Dividing Range this year.

Autumn was late this year, about a month behind, as was Summer before it, so the cold weather may persist right to the end of August. Nice for wearing suits, fedoras, overcoats and scarves. Summer here is awful. There was a huge shift in climate in the late 80s-early 90s and since then we get tropical humidity here, so that 36° C feels like 42° and you can literally fry an egg on the bonnet of your car - if one is so inclined.

GCinCT

New in Town
I get seasonal depression in the winter. I love summer. Here in NY, it’s been hot but I don’t find it uncomfortable. I do like fall and spring but I could live without snow and bitter cold.

For the next two weeks the local temperatures are guesstimated to be in the low-80s to low-90s (°F). We've only begun our summer weather here, so both the temperatures and humidity are going to get worse in the coming weeks. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner