Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flowers in the hair

Rosie

One Too Many
Hi ladies. This year, I've gone from wearing flowers in my hair only for special ocassions to wearing them on an almost daily basis. However, I didn't start wearing them everyday until the weather became warmer. So, for those of you who wear flowers in your hair regularly, do you wear them in winter too? I ask because, flowers in the hair seems like a spring/summer thing to do.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I do! :D
Its a nice change from the sloppy hats with the strange puffball attatched to the end of that string. Whats with that?

The thing about it is, you generally have to wear a hat cause its cold outside. But instead ofa hat, wear a scarf over your head, tied under your chin, thatway you can wear the flower without having to worry about crushing it.

I also have a knit hat that I pinned flowers to. I get a lot of compliments on that. You should try that too.

LD

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I wear flowers in my hair year round. Of course, I live in Arizona, and we don't really have a winter...but still, it works for me!

I recently saw some lovely silk flowers with their edges dipped in glitter. They had an "icy" effect that would be perfect for a winter evening event.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Hm, you could switch to "fall" flowers and leaves in the Autumn, and then berries, poinsettia, snowbells, crocus for winter.

I would avoid things that scream tropical, like hibiscus in winter, but other than that do whatever you like.

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
I wear decorations in my hair all year round. Flowers work all year as long as you're wearing the right kind. As Tourbillion said, seasonal flowers are best. I wear berries and other winter decorations in my hair during the holidays, tropical flowers in the spring and summer, and darker flowers in the fall. But I confess that sometimes I do wear big white tropical flowers in the winter to set off a black sweater - I just like the way that looks. And I agree that glitter makes it look a little icy. I also like the big furry feathers and feather flowers that you can wear year round, but they’re a little too expensive for my pocket book right now.

e6_1_b.JPG

87_1_b.JPG

RPDLWFPHL01.jpg

I also wear a lot of turbans and scarves because San Francisco is always foggy and windy. I’m hoping the Diva Pinup gal will not only make me some fruit clips for my hair, but maybe also a fruit pin to drape off the side of a turban!

Must...stop...buying...stuff...

Rosie

One Too Many
Rebecca D said:
RPDLWFPHL01.jpg

I also wear a lot of turbans and scarves because San Francisco is always foggy and windy. I’m hoping the Diva Pinup gal will not only make me some fruit clips for my hair, but maybe also a fruit pin to drape off the side of a turban!

Must...stop...buying...stuff...

I LOVE that flower (I wonder how they attached it to the plastic head?)
drool.gif

When not dressed vintage-y, I wear head wraps a lot, I wear my hair natural and so the sun, wind can sometimes be harsh on it.

I HAVE to stop buying stuff! Just this weekend alone I spent way more than I would ever mention aloud to anyone, I'm quite
ashamed.gif

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In my humble opinion, it's totally crazy not to make your own hair flowers. Just go to a craft store and get a glue gun and some flowers and the hair clip of your choice. I find that glueing a leaf to the clip then the flowers to the leaf works very well. I also find that using glitter gel glue to embellish adds a nice touch.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
In my humble opinion, it's totally crazy not to make your own hair flowers. Just go to a craft store and get a glue gun and some flowers and the hair clip of your choice. I find that glueing a leaf to the clip then the flowers to the leaf works very well. I also find that using glitter gel glue to embellish adds a nice touch.

I KNOW!

Whats the buying them all aboout. You can get a BUNCH of good quality flowers for $20 to last you all year if not longer! I just pin them into my hair, cause I like them to sit close to my head.

LD

The Diva Pinup Hair Flowers!

Hi Everyone!

First of all, thank you for all the nice comments about my products! I'm glad to know that I have fans out there.

As far as making your own hair flowers - I know first hand that there is a lot of work that goes into making them well so that they last, and by the time you purchase the glue gun, glitter, hair clips and the flowers, and then spend the time to make them, you might have already purchased the already completed one! I started out in this business for the very same reasons some of you have stated - all I ever seemed to find were hair accessories that were poorly made, looked cheap or fake, fell apart, and were overpriced to boot.

Love,
The Diva Pinup herself,
Suzanne

Rosie

One Too Many
Miss_Bella_Hell said:

I agree but, I never seem to get really nice flowers. The ones I find are kind of dingy looking. I'm big and tall so I like big "look at me!" flowers, I never seem to find any that are nice and have good quality. [huh] My mom had this great fake lily plant, I snapped one of her flowers from that and made a great hair clip. This isn't the greatest picture but it's the only one I have available, this is a night time piece, it's big.
flower.jpg

The Diva Pinup! said:
Hi Everyone!

First of all, thank you for all the nice comments about my products! I'm glad to know that I have fans out there.

As far as making your own hair flowers - I know first hand that there is a lot of work that goes into making them well so that they last, and by the time you purchase the glue gun, glitter, hair clips and the flowers, and then spend the time to make them, you might have already purchased the already completed one! I started out in this business for the very same reasons some of you have stated - all I ever seemed to find were hair accessories that were poorly made, looked cheap or fake, fell apart, and were overpriced to boot.

Love,
The Diva Pinup herself,
Suzanne

Just to let you know ladies, I was edited. "Last edited by Lauren Henline : Today at 03:53 AM. Reason: No ads for personal businesses allowed." I wasn't advertising my site so much as just wanting to let you know about other options in the hair flower world. And it was what we were talking about, after all! :)

Suzanne

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
That happens...

You can keep your weblink in your signature and people can still find where your site is, but no one is allowed to directly promote their businesses in here, or post live ebay links, etc. House Rules.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rosie said:
I agree but, I never seem to get really nice flowers. The ones I find are kind of dingy looking. I'm big and tall so I like big "look at me!" flowers, I never seem to find any that are nice and have good quality. [huh] My mom had this great fake lily plant, I snapped one of her flowers from that and made a great hair clip. This isn't the greatest picture but it's the only one I have available, this is a night time piece, it's big.
flower.jpg

That's very cute! Where have you looked for flowers? Michael's and Jo-Ann Fabrics usually have a very nice seasonal selection.

Vanessa

One Too Many
Keep an eye out at the vintage stores as well - I pick up a lot of cheap 'dying' hats just to cannibalize the flowers/veils for non-hat hair use.

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
I used to make my own flower clips, but I really couldn't find a place that sold good quality flowers. Does anyone knows a place in SF where I could find good quality stuff?

Miss Diva Pinup, I'm going to contact you soon regarding fruit clips. I'm just very, very poor right now and have to wait a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy