Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flying boots

WalkingBoy

Familiar Face
well done, I'm glad they did.

re RMW's and the Air Ministry boot..looking at the pics of the two pairs held at the War Memorial, the tops do look wider, bearing in mind I haven't seen them physically, but the British made versions 'appear' to be more straight up and down, even with the wear/stretch factor. Also the toe cap appears wider with a higher fit across the top, if that makes sense. The English repros i've seen to date have a narrower flatter toe...but thats just my opinion looking through the bottom of beer glass a thousand miles from home.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I don't mind the Lewis offerings. They're not spot on but they are nice boots and the quality should be good.

If RM do go ahead with 36ers then I think it's safe to say they end up being the benchmark of repros - and especially with Andrew about to help and advise. The only thing will be that they will I imagine have a hefty price tag. I'd envisage them being around $AU1,000 a pair - remember a bog standard pair of Craftsman are around $AU400 so these won't be cheap.

Last edited:

WalkingBoy

Familiar Face
Yep.. for $1000 they would have to be, so RMW's would then be 'under oath' so to speak to make them the benchmark....i would hope.

Andrew, what do you think about the toe caps on the Bedggood boots? Are they wider and higher than their British counterparts?
Also the soles on the War Memorial boots don't look like they're welt sewn, but double thick, brass screwed...?

Martin

Windsock

A-List Customer
Boots gone...

Sent 2 pairs to RMW today for assessment. Hope the news is good.

Here's some comparison shots. NOS brown Bedggoods size 6 and named RAF Air Ministry tagged size 12's. The two totally unrelated boots are surprisingly similar.

It's not easy to exactly compare due to the size diff and the wear but it appears that the toe may be flatter on the AM's (may also just be because of the huge size), the Vamp detail's the same, the stitching of the rear seam strap is different- the BG's have a more substantial fold over the top, the strap fixing point is slightly more rounded on the AM's, the soles are nailed on the AM's and stitched on the BG's and the uppers on the AM's may be wider but this is possibly an illusion due to the deterioration of the fleece over time. I used to have a pair of the pebbled leather Hawkins boots which had exactly the same shape as the BG's and they were UK made.

But as I said, very similar.

Collages2.jpg

Collages1.jpg

WalkingBoy

Familiar Face
Geez those Bedggood boots look nice. Am keeping my fingers and toes crossed for a happy outcome. If i could make a comment, the BG's 'tongue' where the vamp is sewn into the shaft looks to have a square shape while the AM's have a more rounded look, but that might be moot point...Thanks for all your work by the way. fantastic.

kowalski

Practically Family
Bedggoods are amazing,!!!! I can not wait to see what it all came out, I hope it will be good, all thanks Mr Windsock, goooood job. I already have place in the queue behind them :)

Mr Spitfire , next year??!! :( THIS YEAR!!!!

Last edited:

kowalski

Practically Family
hello ,my question is, if anyone has the original raf boots (probably everyone :)) , is it true that the size of the period of the war are overstated
For example, the original raf boots size 8,probably repro now it would be 9, or not? , whether it is the same; size oryginal 8 = repro 8. Judging from the size clothes , I think so, but I do not know how it is for shoes
regards

Last edited:

Windsock

A-List Customer
Just received brief preliminary advice from RMW which is cautiously positive. Hopefully they'll provide some more advice before long.

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
http://cgi.ebay.com/RAF-FLIGHT-BOOT...406?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c15b30fe
what do you think? you are probably already here, price good, made in mexico

Kowalski - those boots look very similar to the boots that I bought from What Price Glory (onlinemilitaria.net). The insignia on the heel is different but everything else looks the same. The overall shape of the What Price Glory RAF boot is not perfect for the 1936 RAF pattern but the quality of the boots is very, very good.

If you are after the ultimate 1936 boot, you might want to wait for the RM Williams version - if they decide to produce it.

Noel

kowalski

Practically Family
well, I like to have a choice, and wait for the MRI.'ll see what they do and what will the price, I need shoes every day. so far in Poland is mud everywhere, and snow above the knees

H.Johnson

One Too Many
SM Wholesale. I used to buy their gear for re-enactment before more accurate kit became available. My experience (somewhat out of date) is that the quality is OK but the shape etc. is often very wrong. I think they use(d) photographs rather than originals as patterns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo