Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flying Tigers A2

icemanxxxv

Familiar Face
Back when I was younger in the mid 80's I put together a Flying Tigers A2 Jacket. It's custom hand made I believe goat skin A2. On the back is an original blood chit as it was sold to me. A hand painted leather 23rd Squadron AVG Tiger patch on one of the front pockets and a clothe 23rd AVG patch on the shoulder. When I used to wear it I had a lot of people ask me if it was real. I told them the chit was the jacket was a reproduction. I was once offered 450 bucks for the jacket. I had a bit less than that in it. I wish it still fit me. Any Idea of what it might be worth today? I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow.
Thanks

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Since the jacket is a repro, I really couldn't tell what something like that would fetch. It depends on who wants it and how much someone is willing to pay for it. I know for a fact that some buyers wouldn't budge past 200 bucks while another buyer would would offer you critical body parts for it. It's very variable. It also depends on the maker of the repro since some cost way more than others to start.

If you have a genuine blood chit on it, that by itself is worth a few shekels but it would depend on what type of chit it is, i.e. whether it's the type 1, type 2 or later style. It would also depend on whether it was one of the printed type or if it was one of the "one off" theater made type. Usually, for an AVG jacket, you shouldn't find a 23 FG patch. However, a handful of AVG vets joined up with the 23rd and susequently added the patch to the already existing jacket after the disbandment. There are two of them in the AF Museum that are decorated exactly like that, so if a potential buyer won't touch it because it's supposedly inaccurate, it really isn't and should not a deal breaker. BTW, I wish mine would fit me also.

442RCT

One of the Regulars
Not much more I can add to Silver Dollar's observations, I can only add my experiences as an accumulator of 'orphan' A-2 jackets. (My definition of an orphan A-2 is a jacket 'inspired' but not necessarily an exact replica of a wartime contract.)

Until you post photos of your jacket, these are assumptions...and you know how assumptions go.

1. If your jacket is classified as an "authentic" reproduction, it'll help the price, if it's not, deduct from the price. (patched, used authentic a-2 jackets sell easier, but an unpatched jacket will actually be worth more)

If your 'custom' made jacket was made to fit you, it may not have as many buyers as a standard sized jacket, i.e. sz 38, 40, 42, 44, etc. If you plan on selling your jacket, post the measurements.

2. If your Blood Chit is vintage and you have proof of it's provenance, it may actually be worth more than your jacket. Reproduction blood chits were made by the 100's out of every conceivable material, that's why you'll need proof of authenticity.

3. Flying Tigers/AVG/ 23rd FG themed jackets are a thriving subgroup in it's own right. Almost all current A-2 jacket manufacturers offer one in their 'collection' because customers want them. The AVG/Flying Tigers are one of the most recognized iconic symbols of WW2. (I've made up several A-2s and G-1s for myself and others and plan on making up a CACW version soon)

4. In the late 80's and 90's when you made your jacket up, the buyers and collectors may not have had as many choices as they do now, and the offers you had may reflect that. Unless the blood chit can be verified, your jacket may only bring a quarter of your previous $ 450 offer. [huh]

I'll wait to see photos of your jacket before making any more assumptions. I may be totally off base. :eusa_doh:

icemanxxxv

Familiar Face
I got buisy laqst night and was unable to snap some pic. I really wasn't looking to sell just interested in the market. I'll try in the next few days to get some photos up. The Chit is not a one off theater mad but still I do believe it's an original.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL