Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foam bendy rollers

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Unfortunately, I don't have a working camera right now so I can't post a photo. But, the idea to these is similar to that of rag curls, or anything else that will create a spriral curl; I just get a much deeper and more uniform curl than with anything else I've used. And if you get the curlformers that are long enough, you won't have to worry about loose ends falling out.

However, if you're looking for a really deep 1920s-style fingerwave, you may not get it with these. The fingerwave style I do with these is a more relaxed 1930s one. I just brush out the spiral curls, and - with a little coaxing - my hair (which is naturally very straight) falls into a faux fingerwave.

Despite how complicated they look, they're actually pretty easy to use. I asked the lady at Sally's to let me play with them before I bought them, and she pulled out a mannequin head and an already opened box, and gave me a tutorial.

I really can't stand sleeping in them, and can't stress how ridiculous these things look on your head, especially when used with a hair-drying bonet! But, like I said, I really like the results so I thought I'd share.

P.S. Thanks SarahLouise! I have a weakness for vintage sweaters!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
NO way!

I've seen the boxes of these at Sally's and just could not wrap my head around how they worked, and it looked incredibly hard!! But now that I watched the how to video, I'm totally going to poick these up!!! There is nothing I love more than some new gadget to play with hair, but these look fun and easy, in fact! Woohoo!

Rebecca & miss Crisplock, please post pics as soon as you can! I'm dying to see it the results! :D

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Rebecca D said:
Unfortunately, I don't have a working camera right now so I can't post a photo. But, the idea to these is similar to that of rag curls, or anything else that will create a spriral curl; I just get a much deeper and more uniform curl than with anything else I've used. And if you get the curlformers that are long enough, you won't have to worry about loose ends falling out.

Thanks for posting about these, I just saw them at Sally's yesterday and was very curious about how well they'd work. I think I might give them a try.

leaette

A-List Customer
OMG! Those curlformers look fantastic. I want to try them. I have a chin length bob hairstyle though. Do you think they will work with shorter hair? I saw on the website that they do have a short and narrow size.

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
leaette said:
OMG! Those curlformers look fantastic. I want to try them. I have a chin length bob hairstyle though. Do you think they will work with shorter hair? I saw on the website that they do have a short and narrow size.

I think these would actually work best with shorter hair. I'm in the process of growing out a bob, and after using these things I kind of wanted to cut my hair again.

Warning though: The short ones are really short and may not be long enough for even a chin-length bob. I bought the shorter ones for my bangs, which are now grown out just above my lips, and they just barely cover that hair. Buy the longer ones to be on the safe side. Plus you'll still be able to use them if you decide to grow out your hair.

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
with regards to the foam sticks in the uk, i have been using them for a little over a year now. they're cheap which is always a plus. i needed 2 packs for my hair cos it's quite thick.

so... you can use them all over and they give you quite a nice curl. but it's not as good as pincurling, obviously. i tend to use them over night or blast them with the dryer. i have also worked out that if you can't bear sleeping in them, you can put all of your hair into just a few and wind them down to the very top of your head. so you can sleep without them getting in the way. or they're good just to fix around your hair line.

the best thing about them is you can put them in in 5 mins so there's no sitting around pincurling when your uber tired. and also the curl is just right to brush out into waves.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
TWISTY CURL REPORT

Yes, indeed I did look a sight with them in. I washed my hair, used setting lotion and put in the twisty things.

EASY, EASY, EASY

I didn't have much of a plan, and needed more twisties.

Slept on twisties - no problem.

Woke up, took them out - - Beautiful spiral curls!

Brushed out the curls. :eusa_doh: Not so beautiful. I am so thankful that they love me at work and odd didn't raise a comment:rolleyes:

I went back to Sally's, picked up more twisties, and will set tonight with a bit more of a plan.

leaette

A-List Customer
thanks for the review. i think i'm going to go to sally's tomorrow to get mine. i got some cash for my b-day last week and it's been burning a hole in my pocket. i think these may be a good purchase.

i'm glad to hear they are good to sleep in.

Fleur de vanité

New in Town
I've noticed with the regular foam rollers (light pink color) when I roll my hair when it's wet and sleep with them in overnight I wake up and my hair isn't even curly,it's slightly wavy. I have use the small and large sized rollers,also when I wake in the morning my hair isn't completely dry either.

I haven't tried the pillow rollers,although I may in the near future.

I really like to use the heated rollers. They make my hair super shiny,smooth and soft after i use them.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Fleur de vanit?© said:
I've noticed with the regular foam rollers (light pink color) when I roll my hair when it's wet and sleep with them in overnight I wake up and my hair isn't even curly,it's slightly wavy. I have use the small and large sized rollers,also when I wake in the morning my hair isn't completely dry either.

Are you dry or wet setting your hair? Are you using setting lotion?

leaette

A-List Customer
i bought some Curlformers with some birthday money. Here is my review. First off....I totally forgot to add setting lotion in my hair. I realized this when I was taking the curlers out. Anyway...

here is what I normall look like. I have an inverted bob (back is layered and shorter than the front, it goes at an angle)
hair001.jpg

Here are the curl formers in my hair.
hair002.jpg

Like anything, they take practice. By the time I was almost done, I had it pretty well figured out and was doing it much easier. I had to re-do some of them because I had the curlformer down next to my scalp. You can't do that. You have to have it an inch or two off your scalp (see the video on their website to see what I'm talking about). Overall, it was easy and I'm sure it will get easier each time I do it. Doing the back of your head is easy to do too. You just have to have the hook part facing towards the ceiling so your hair doesn't fall out.
I didn't want to sit all day like this, so I put a scarf on. That looked silly too, but it's better than without one!
hair003.jpg

Now here is one thing bad about these...you can't tell when your curls are dry. At least with pincurls or rollers, you can slightly unroll one to see if it's dry. You can't do that with these because you will mess up your curler. But, maybe you can, I have to play with it some more. I have thin hair, but a lot of it. So my hair dries fast. Normally, pincurls should dry about 8 hrs. I had these in for 4 hrs and they were dry. So that's a bonus.
They were super easy to take out. And here is what it looks like right out of the curlers, not brushed.
hair004.jpg

hair005.jpg

After a few brushings, my back turned out really nicely
hair006.jpg

However....the rest of my head, well, I'm not too happy with it. I can't do anything with this. I have to play with it more I guess. This looks like a frizzy mess.
hair007.jpg

I like it better without a brushing. Next time, I will finger comb it and leave it alone. I think it looks nicer before I brushed it.

leaette

A-List Customer
review part 2:

so all in all, i think this would be better suited for longer hair.
i don't think these would be nice to sleep in. the ends of the curls have rubber grips that really grip your hair. and i tried laying down and they pulled. and it hurts.

i don't think you get the pincurl look with this. so for when i want to do tru 40's styles, i will stick to the good ol' faithful pincurl.

i'm not upset with these, i think i will use them for when i want to dress up for date nights, etc. but not for vintage nights.
someone posted that she got her hair to fall in waves. i'll have to play with mine more to see if i can do that too. so far, not working like that.

the end.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Thanks for the review Leatte!! I think they came out cute! Especially for a a first go on a new form of curler! I bought a pack fo teh pink and ornage ones to try out on my daughter. We'll see how that goes. She is a good guinea pig..hee hee.. she actually likes when I roll her hair now. :eusa_clap

I'll let you know when I give 'em a go!

leaette

A-List Customer
new update....i just put in some Biolage smoothing shine milk. basically it's a liquid with light hold that smooths your hair. and it took away the frizziness and put it back into somewhat ringlet curls. MUCH better and i'm really happy with the results. i will be using these again soon.

still...not the look of pincurls though.

leaette

A-List Customer
me again....

i just want to add, now that i'm done with it and looking in the mirror, it looks like a natural curl. like i was born with this. so since i was born with stick straight hair, it's nice to see what it would look like if i had naturally curly hair.

ok, i'll shut up now :)

~*Red*~

Practically Family
leaette said:
me again....

i just want to add, now that i'm done with it and looking in the mirror, it looks like a natural curl. like i was born with this. so since i was born with stick straight hair, it's nice to see what it would look like if i had naturally curly hair.

ok, i'll shut up now :)

lol , you're cracking me up!

That's really cool actually!

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
leaette said:
new update....i just put in some Biolage smoothing shine milk. basically it's a liquid with light hold that smooths your hair. and it took away the frizziness and put it back into somewhat ringlet curls. MUCH better and i'm really happy with the results. i will be using these again soon.

still...not the look of pincurls though.

Thanks so much for the review and the pics. I've been really curious about those things! Too bad they don't turn out very vintage, but you do look really cute :)

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Hey Leaette,
I noticed that you used different colors throughout your head, which means the curls are going in different directions. You should use the green curlers on one side of the head and the blue on the other. Also, when I do mine I line them up very carefully in very straight rows across my head so the wave, when I brush it out, goes evenly across my head. Then I just play with it and coax it into faux fingerwaves. I use the side of my hand sometimes to push up the curls into a wave. You can also use wave clamps to help create the look after you've brushed out the spriral curls.

I don't achieve a pin curl look with these at all - but it was a fingerwave look I was going for, which I can achieve - on a good hair day.

I hope this isn't too confusing!

leaette

A-List Customer
nope, not confusing at all. i understand. thanks for the advice. can't wait to try it out. i knew the different colors were for different directions, but i didn't even think about using all one direction on each side.

ThatPoshGirl

New in Town
Hi,

First time poster here. I'm really curious about the curlformers. My hair is very long (close to hip length) so I don't think the starter kit is the right choice for me. Do you have to get the starter kit to get the hook? or is there some other way to get it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy