Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Food Network

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
vonwotan said:
Yes, agreed. The original or new Iron Chef? I am still a huge fan of the original announcers, and one of my favourite all time cooking shows was the episode when they had to cook with Sturgeon.
Allez Cuisine!
"Todays' secret ingredient.... SPINY LOBSTER!"

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Hemingway Jones said:
Allez Cuisine!
"Todays' secret ingredient.... SPINY LOBSTER!"

Have you seen the SNL sendup?

"I love this chef's seamless way of incorporating the salmon farts into the spring melon ice cream..."

lol

Mark George

New in Town
Dinerman sighting?

There was a new show on FN last night called "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives," and unless I am mistaken, I spied Dinerman living up to his name and enjoying an unctuous morsel at a diner in New Jersey. Which hat were you wearing D-man?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I used to really like the Food Network when I first got it circa 1990.

The problem is, they gradually morphed from an interesting station about recipes, food chemistry, food history, etc. into a mostly infotainment channel. They got into the cult of personality approach big time, building up Emeril (who I found interesting in his first no-audience-to-showboat-to series), Bobby Flay (who just rubs me the wrong way in every regard), Rachel Ray (who I thought was charming for a while, but is now just so overexposed that I can't stand to watch her), Mario Batalli, Jamie Oliver, that too-glamous-to-believe-she's-actually-cooking Giada person, etc. I liked Good Eats for a couple of years and it does often include some interesting info, but I find that it's become too overloaded with gimmickry to hold my attention. (And is it just me, or does Alton Brown always find the *most complicated way* to cook anything? E.g., starting a steak in a cast iron skillet and finishing it in the oven vs. just broiling it like an ordinary person!)

Anyway, it's sad. Another originally interesting channel derailed by its own star-making machinery...

vonwotan

Practically Family
Arrgh...

Now you have this topic stuck in my head - food being our family's number one passtime.

Other shows I miss are Julia Child, Graham Kerr, and James Beard. Some of my earliest TV memories are Julia Child's show.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Doctor Strange said:
I used to really like the Food Network when I first got it circa 1990.

The problem is, they gradually morphed from an interesting station about recipes, food chemistry, food history, etc. into a mostly infotainment channel. They got into the cult of personality approach big time, building up Emeril (who I found interesting in his first no-audience-to-showboat-to series), Bobby Flay (who just rubs me the wrong way in every regard), Rachel Ray (who I thought was charming for a while, but is now just so overexposed that I can't stand to watch her), Mario Batalli, Jamie Oliver, that too-glamous-to-believe-she's-actually-cooking Giada person, etc. I liked Good Eats for a couple of years and it does often include some interesting info, but I find that it's become too overloaded with gimmickry to hold my attention. (And is it just me, or does Alton Brown always find the *most complicated way* to cook anything? E.g., starting a steak in a cast iron skillet and finishing it in the oven vs. just broiling it like an ordinary person!)

Anyway, it's sad. Another originally interesting channel derailed by its own star-making machinery...

You have exactly outlined my thoughts about The Food Network.
They quickly over-expose their properties and burn them out.
I miss Sarah Moulton and the quiet show she did with guest chefs.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, her shows were very good. The one that I really miss is "Taste" with David Rosengarten - I found that show fascinating, but he clearly wasn't sexy enough to survive when the channel glammed itself up...

Kimberly

Practically Family
vonwotan said:
Now you have this topic stuck in my head - food being our family's number one passtime.

Other shows I miss are Julia Child, Graham Kerr, and James Beard. Some of my earliest TV memories are Julia Child's show.

I loved watching the French Chef on Channel 2 Boston with Julia Child. When I was in grade school I would run home to watch her at 3PM Monday through Friday. While my sister was on one TV watching Mighty Mouse, I was watching Julia. Yes I was a strange child. lol

warbird

One Too Many
I like Alton the best. Mario is also up there. Some of the shows about places to eat in different cities is helpful. I have eaten at some of the highlighted places on my business travels.

By the way Giada DeLaurentis, may be HOT, but she's also a classically trained chef and not simply a mouthpiece foe entertainment. I enjoy that nut Bourdain.

Ming Tsai is another favorite. I've always enjoyed cooking shows going back the Child, Wilson and Prudhomme, who is still found on New Orleans pbs channel if I'm not mistaken.

vonwotan

Practically Family
I have another question for those who do remember Justin Wilson. What type of hat was it that he wore? I don't think we were ever shown the crown, but from from and side it looks flat on top, with wide brim turned up all the way around - turned up as much as a homburg.

I also agree with folks on the early days of the Food Network being better. Over the years I have been happy to see chefs receiving more recognition, but this new cult of the celebrity chef, with several owning five, six or more restaurants, doing TV shows and writing (those not ghost written) books, makes me wonder about the focus on the food itself and the quality. We even see big mall chains with celebrity chefs as spokespeople describing the recipes they have contributed to the chain's menu.

Now, some of these chains might be good for what they are, but I have yet to find a place that can turn out truly outstanding assembly line food.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Re Giada... Hey, I didn't say that she didn't have credentials - I just find her personally too distractingly gorgeous (and impossibly unstained when cooking red sauces in white tops!) to keep my attention on her recipes. I also tend to distrust any chef who is model-thin...

lindylady

A-List Customer
I met Giada about two years ago at the National Book Festival. She is VERY tiny, but I think it's just genetics (lucky lady). She does eat her food, but she said that she is very cautious of portion control. You can eat rich foods, decadent desserts, starchy pastas, etc., but not on huge platters and definitely not all in one sitting ;)

RedPop4

One Too Many
Paul Prudhomme is, on New Orleans PBS.

I like the Food Network. Infotainment, is better than soulless sit-coms. and other offerings on network television, in my estimation. I can let my kids watch it and they'll learn something, as well as be willing to try and DO something constructive. They both wish to help in the kitchen when we cook. My seven year old made pound cake with me not long ago.

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
Food Network is one of my favorite channels. Giada is absolutely lovely, but Alton Brown is my favorite. I love the how and why of cooking.

--Leslie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats