Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Food Network

LadyStardust

Practically Family
I think it's fun, and like was said, it's a -whole- lot better than most other offerings on T.V. Paula's nuts, but a hoot and a half, I adore her, and I'll jump on the Alton Brown bandwagon. :) I also liked the guy who used to host "The Secret Life of..", but I think he got replaced. :mad: :(

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
vonwotan said:
One cooking show I miss is Justin Wilson, the name of the show escapes me but I loved the recipes and he was quite a character.

Louisian Cookin AKA the Cajun Chef. I was beginning to think I was the only person who remembered him. "Now den, we gonna add joost a liddle big of Lea and Puh-RANS..."

There was an episode of the Cosby Show where the on-going gag through the episode was everytime Cliff turned on the TV or radio, you'd hear someone doing Joo-STAN Wil-SOHN.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mark George said:
There was a new show on FN last night called "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives," and unless I am mistaken, I spied Dinerman living up to his name and enjoying an unctuous morsel at a diner in New Jersey. Which hat were you wearing D-man?

Interesting - they say that show doesn't run until a week from now. Maybe they had a pilot episode and the one listed is the first episode of an actual series.

UPDATE: Did some further digging - It appeared as a special last night and early this morning but not down as being repeated on the upcoming schedule that I can find..

woodyinnyc

One of the Regulars
For my money, it's new addition Nigella! See could just stand in front of the camera for half an hour and do nothing and I'd still watch!

vonwotan

Practically Family
I GARONTEE!

His daughter maintains a Justin Wilson web site

http://www.justinwilson.com/

Including recipe books, recordings and DVDs and a couple audio files she calls Justins Sayins, "Hear Justin saying some of de tings dat have made him famous!"

Mike in Seattle said:
Louisian Cookin AKA the Cajun Chef. I was beginning to think I was the only person who remembered him. "Now den, we gonna add joost a liddle big of Lea and Puh-RANS..."

There was an episode of the Cosby Show where the on-going gag through the episode was everytime Cliff turned on the TV or radio, you'd hear someone doing Joo-STAN Wil-SOHN.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
A show I really enjoy on this channel is Ace of Cakes. I think the creativity Duff and his team exhibit are astounding, and their cakes are nothing short of works of art. They also just have a really good dynamic on that show, not pretentious, not condescending, not grating at all. AND, the best part is, every so often they'll do cakes with classic themes. For example, last night they did an antique typewriter with, yes, a fedora resting on top. :) No pictures up online yet, though hopefully eventually there will be. There IS a picture of another fantastic classic cake they did a while back, Art Deco styled, based on an Aubrey Beardsley drawing.
0606031715203438_1.jpg

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
I've seen a few shows on that channel, none of which really appeal to me.

I do enjoy fine dining. My favorite restuarants are Bayona in New Orleans and Graindorge in Paris.

M8

Liz

LadyStardust, I love Ace of Cakes too! Of course, cake is my favorite food, so I may be a bit biased! It's definitely my favorite Food Network show. As someone who works in the food industry and has an art background, I find their work so fascinating. I watch several "reality" shows (mostly the ones on Bravo) and there is so much petty drama and nastiness that I always find it so refreshing to watch Ace of Cakes, because everyone on the show seems so nice and cool!

Rafter

Suspended
scotrace said:
Ditto. And I can't stay away. MOST unhelpful.
Except Nigella. She is MOST helpful. ;)

Giada is the MOST helpful!:eusa_clap

giada_de_laurentiis_049.jpg

Emeril is the MOST annoying, BAM!![bad]

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Rafter said:
I agree! Plus, if you were to eat his stuff on the set, it would taste like shite. I always thought that from day one, but then a NYT food writer concurred.

Rosie

One Too Many
Emril isn't that annoying. It's mostly his audience.

Emril: "Here, we're going to put a little paprika"

The audience: "Yay! Wooooooo! Yeah! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap "

Are they REALLY cheering for paprika?! What's with these people? lol

Don't let him add chocolate, way too much butter or anything alcoholic! These people act as though someone just paid off their mortgages.

Rosie

One Too Many
Mike in Seattle said:

My brother and I loved this show when we were younger. It came on PBS in the afternoons before all the kids shows and on Saturday I always loved the way he said onion (Un-nohn). GREAT!

Rosie

One Too Many
Rafter said:
Giada is the MOST helpful!:eusa_clap

giada_de_laurentiis_049.jpg

I'm not a big fan of Giada. She was on NBC's Today show everyday for a week about a week or two ago. She was very annoying.

I should add her to my "stars who annoy me list"

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Martinis at 8 said:
I've seen a few shows on that channel, none of which really appeal to me.

I do enjoy fine dining. My favorite restuarants are Bayona in New Orleans and Graindorge in Paris.

M8

I gotta agree. Food Network is pretty hack to me, though I have moments of appreciation for Alton, 'Iron Chef,' and Tony Bourdain.

Anyone remember 'Great Chefs of the World'?
Now that was a brilliant show.

Show me knife techniques, tell me why you always hit a full soup ladle on the surface before serving, and then we are talking...
How to doll up Ritz crackers and spice up your fifteen-minute boxed pasta dinner? No thanks.

Viviene

Vendor
My girls and I are Food Network junkies. We love Alton Brown (try his sugar cookie recipe). The Ace of Cakes is tops. We eat dinner with Sandra Lee and mock her through the entire show (tablescapes and cocktails!). Once in a while when I try something new I'll ask the girls how it tastes and they get an evil glint in their eyes and they say in unison, "DELISH" or "Yummo." I can't abide Rachael Ray. We love the Barefoot Contessa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats