Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foods I can't find in my present location and regional specialties.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
vonwotan said:
There is a long list, but one regional specialty (mid-atlanitc) I haven't seen in years is scrapple.

Habersetts will ship their scrapple. Click the order online link

http://www.habbersettscrapple.com/index.html

Apparently it all comes from here: frozen

http://www.rapascrapple.com/about.html

http://www.jonesdairyfarm.com/StoreProduct.aspx?p=198 The name we get it here locally

We can get it here in Houston, I'll never forget going to the check out and having the cashier ask what "that stuff" was,... you should have seen the look on her face, when I told her what they make scrapple from.:eek:

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Absinthe_1900 said:
We can get it here in Houston, I'll never forget going to the check out and having the cashier ask what "that stuff" was,... you should have seen the look on her face, when I told her what they make scrapple from.:eek:

"The parts of a pig that aren't good enough for sausage" is what I always heard. lol

-Viola

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Scrapple, All the "you don't wanna know" parts. lol

We had Tastykakes until recently, then they mysteriously vanished.

We get most of the other things like Taylor Porkroll etc, though the locals haven't quite figured out how to make a proper Hoagie. They get close with Cheesesteaks.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Their one brewery makes it best

I'm from Atlanta. I moved north to Rochester NY. I miss The Varsity and maybe Fellini's Pizza. But there are foods to eat at restaurants here that more than make up for those: Friday night fish fry made with haddock. Tom Wahl's cheeseburgers and homemade root beer, followed by homemade frozen custard. Genesee Light beer. Many people here enjoy Chicken French. Any groceries I got in Atlanta at Big Star I can get here at Wegman's, even Cheese Waffles and John Morrell lard.

Haversack

One Too Many
What I hear a lot from people who have moved to the San Frnacisco Bay Area from other parts of the USA are variations on the theme: "Where can I get real [insert favourite ethnic cooking] like back in [where they moved from]? A very common reason for regional variation in ethnic cuisine is that it is due to settlement patterns. In short, people from different parts of the world settled in different parts of the USA at different times. For example, in the case of why Italian restaurants here aren't like they are on the East coast is that the Italians who predominantly settled here and established the base cuisine came from Liguria, a different part of Italy than those who settled and established the base cuisine on the East Coast, who I believe were predominantly from Sicily and Calabria. Different places got a different mix of people, (and their cuisines). I wouldn't want the country to be so homogenous, (or so equally diverse so as to be homogenous), that there were no regional variations.

The things I would like to be able to get here but cannot are: Bundaberg Rum, Bauernschinken direct from the Bauer, and Moreton Bay Bugs. Tim-tams used to be on this list but have recently been found hiding at Cost Plus import stores maskerading as "Arnott's Originals".

Haversack.

warbird

One Too Many
While I can't stand it myself, my wife really has a hard time getting Marmite.

I miss all sorts of good stuff when I have left the south in the past. One thing I miss from living on the Chesapeake is fresh soft shelled crab, she crab soup and broiled crab cakes. And really fresh, inexpensive seafood in general I guess.

Some other things I miss from my travels which I can't get here, excellent Italian in a restaurant, I make it better than anyone down here.

I used to get fresh rootbeer from Amish communities in Ohio. Man that was good stuff, best I ever had. It came in brown glass bottles with the old style metal swivel top . I miss dim-sum. Can't get that here either.

Big Man

vonwotan said:
There is a long list, but one regional specialty (mid-atlanitc) I haven't seen in years is scrapple.

Yankees eat scrapple - if you're from western NC you eat livermush. :)

Big Man

Absinthe_1900 said:
... We can get it here in Houston, I'll never forget going to the check out and having the cashier ask what "that stuff" was,... you should have seen the look on her face, when I told her what they make scrapple from.:eek:

If knowing what scrapple is made from gets funny looks, then don't ask about souse meat (also known as "head cheese"). :D

As they say at hog killin' time around here: "parts is parts". :eek:

Zig2k143

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
As a former NYer living in LA I can say i am amazed at the fantastic variety of foods that are out here BUT!

Chinese food out this way is different that what I remember in NY either long Island, NYC, or even up in Plattsburgh which wa outstanding.

Here in LA, I cannot find the great appetizer "SHRIMP TOAST" anywheres. It is a favorite of mine that I can only get when visiting back East.

A good tip for east coasters coming out west, Hellmans mayonaise is available as Best Foods Mayo, same recepie and flavor.

Out this way two burritos that were more common but harder to find now are: "The Hollenbeck" and "The Okie" which were scrumptious!

So if you have moved and you're Jonesing for a dish you can't get where you're at now it is time to put in a call.

You didn't mention our NYC Pizza? I'm in Pa and can't even get good Pizza :)

Big Man

BegintheBeguine said:
Mmmmmmm headcheese. My late great-aunt in Basile, Louisiana made the best I've tasted so far. Ate it on Premium Saltines. Mmmmm.

A woman who likes souse meat. Where were you when I was single? [huh]

I can still see my grandmother quartering the hog's head with an axe getting ready to make souse meat. My, my, my. What great memories.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
warbird said:
While I can't stand it myself, my wife really has a hard time getting Marmite.

Your wife has impeccable taste Warbird, especially if it's the antipodean variety ;)

StanleyVanBuren

Novella said:
Freebirds nachos

Ah, I see you're a fellow former Isla Vistan!

I'm formerly of 6703 -- and if you have to ask which street, you've been gone too long. ;)

There really is nothing like a Freebirds burrito at 4am on a Saturday morning. Even the same burrito, at 12pm on a Monday, doesn't quite compare for some reason. :)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
StanleyVanBuren said:
Ah, I see you're a fellow former Isla Vistan!

I'm formerly of 6703 -- and if you have to ask which street, you've been gone too long. ;)

There really is nothing like a Freebirds burrito at 4am on a Saturday morning. Even the same burrito, at 12pm on a Monday, doesn't quite compare for some reason. :)

oh no....more sb folk......

*runs now*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav