Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foods I can't find in my present location and regional specialties.

StanleyVanBuren

Miss Neecerie said:
Try the Kings Head in Santa Monica.... even have black pudding.

Oh, I've been there! I just hadn't thought to try them during the day. Duh, should have known. I've only ever been there before at nighttime, but I always liked that they had Fuller's London Pride on tap. It is my favorite (favourite?) British beer.

I'm assuming they must have the British style "bacon" as well -- but I can't seem to find anything like it in a store here.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
StanleyVanBuren said:
Oh, I've been there! I just hadn't thought to try them during the day. Duh, should have known. I've only ever been there before at nighttime, but I always liked that they had Fuller's London Pride on tap. It is my favorite (favourite?) British beer.

I'm assuming they must have the British style "bacon" as well -- but I can't seem to find anything like it in a store here.

Yes indeed they do have proper bacon....

and they do a proper roast dinner on Sundays...

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
StanleyVanBuren said:
OH NOES!! What do you have against Santa Barbarians? (or have I just answered my own question?) lol

Nothing...just laughing at how common it seems to be...although I was only there two years....and didn't live in IV the first of those two.....

ahhh nice -quiet- Ellwood Beach....

Technonut

Practically Family
Since moving from the DC suburbs years ago to a rural area, I must say that I miss good Greek cuisine the most... ;) Moussaka with eggplant, roast lamb, tzatziki with fresh pita bread, souvlaki..... Yummmmm... :eusa_doh:

Novella

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
We have a store up the street from us, Kiki's, that imports a ton of these things. Hobnobs (mmmmm), chocolate digestive's, Tiger Bars, and I see Kindereggs at a lot of different places. So when you return to the states, try to find a mini mart or a grocer that might import these things. We have a very large Irish population here, so we have a couple of shoppes that import, and even have kitchens that make great regional togo meals and sandwiches. I don't know what I would do without Hero!!
If you can't find any, just let me know, I'll send you what I can find:)

Aw, thanks! I usually have pretty good luck at Cost Plus stores with finding digestives and that kind of thing though - just usually at highway robbery prices.

StanleyVanBuren said:
There really is nothing like a Freebirds burrito at 4am on a Saturday morning. Even the same burrito, at 12pm on a Monday, doesn't quite compare for some reason.

That is the truth! I guess some food has not only a place to be eaten at, but also a time. I'm formerly of the 6800 blocks (sounds like prison, haha), and will be going back in the fall for one more year of Freebirds. :)

Haversack

One Too Many
A question for those of you who have lived in Santa Barbara, (or at least at UCSB), to be combined with the longing for a full English breakfast: Is there still evidence of a significant British settlement in Santa Barbara? It used to be quite substantial. It was a regualr port of call for the Royal Navy back in the 1920s and 30s. A substantial number of the store owners were British at least up until the 1950s. There was a cricket club that played down by the Bird Refuge. The Canadian Legion, (subbing for the British Legion) was as large as the American Legion in its event sponsorship. It was all rather low key but distinctly there. I have very strong childhood memories of the Sunday Roast at my grandparents there.

Haversack.

vonwotan

Practically Family
We had a great little "diner" in The Plains, VA and scrapple from the local abbatoir was on the menu. When people driving through would ask "what is scrapple" one of the volunteer firemen would inevitable reply, "everything but the oink ma'am, everything but the oink."

Absinthe_1900 said:
Habersetts will ship their scrapple. Click the order online link

http://www.habbersettscrapple.com/index.html

Apparently it all comes from here: frozen

http://www.rapascrapple.com/about.html

http://www.jonesdairyfarm.com/StoreProduct.aspx?p=198 The name we get it here locally

We can get it here in Houston, I'll never forget going to the check out and having the cashier ask what "that stuff" was,... you should have seen the look on her face, when I told her what they make scrapple from.:eek:

vonwotan

Practically Family
I have a lot of family around Mt. Carmel, PA and Philadelphia. I guess I'm a Yankee, born in NYC - but some folks back in PA might not think of themselves that way.;)

Big Man said:
Yankees eat scrapple - if you're from western NC you eat livermush. :)

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
vonwotan said:
I have a lot of family around Mt. Carmel, PA and Philadelphia. I guess I'm a Yankee, born in NYC - but some folks back in PA might not think of themselves that way.;)

Big Man:
Yankees eat scrapple - if you're from western NC you eat livermush.

I'd never heard that term before.

My parents were from Philadelphia, but I was born here in Houston, so I grew up hooked on Philly style food.

Birchbeer is another treat, sort of like Rootbeer with a lot more snap.

StanleyVanBuren

Haversack said:
A question for those of you who have lived in Santa Barbara, (or at least at UCSB), to be combined with the longing for a full English breakfast: Is there still evidence of a significant British settlement in Santa Barbara? It used to be quite substantial. It was a regualr port of call for the Royal Navy back in the 1920s and 30s. A substantial number of the store owners were British at least up until the 1950s. There was a cricket club that played down by the Bird Refuge. The Canadian Legion, (subbing for the British Legion) was as large as the American Legion in its event sponsorship. It was all rather low key but distinctly there. I have very strong childhood memories of the Sunday Roast at my grandparents there.

Haversack.

Unfortunately I don't really know the answer to this other than to the extent that there's a British Pub (Old King's Road) on State st but that it's not all that great, and that I'm pretty sure John Cleese still lives in either Santa Barbara or Montecito.

Rafter

Suspended
HadleyH said:
Pistachio ice-cream.
Marzipan ice-cream.

LOOOOOoooooooooooooove those flavors. Haven't seen them here.
Miss Hadley,
You don't have "Howard Johnson's" down under!
That's where I had my first "pistachio" and "mocha chip" ice-cream cones.

Fame_hojo.jpg

16.jpg

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
StanleyVanBuren said:
Unfortunately I don't really know the answer to this other than to the extent that there's a British Pub (Old King's Road) on State st but that it's not all that great, and that I'm pretty sure John Cleese still lives in either Santa Barbara or Montecito.

Don't forget the polo.....

There is a polo field and club nearby that plays every sunday....

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Rafter said:
Miss Hadley,
You don't have "Howard Johnson's" down under!
That's where I had my first "pistachio" and "mocha chip" ice-cream cones.

Fame_hojo.jpg

lol lol No we don't Rafter, but we DO have a John Howard. ;)

Still, I miss my pistachio ice-cream he-he...

Rafter

Suspended
HadleyH said:
lol lol No we don't Rafter, but we DO have a John Howard. ;)

Here are the 28 mouth-watering HOJO ice-cream flavors.
I always ordered the fried clams and a chocolate soda with mocha chip ice cream.

HOJO28.jpg

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LizzieMaine said:
Speaking of British delicacies, how about good cheap Stateside source for Bovril? I know it can be ordered at hijack prices by specialty shops, but there's gotta be a better and cheaper way. I was introduced to the magic of Liquid Cow by a British pal years ago, and there really *is* nothing like it on a cold winter morning.

I believe we saw it at Whole Foods, but I know definitely a market here in Renton that carries it and Vegemite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav