Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foods that shouldn't be allowed in your house because you will eat it all

Kimberly

Practically Family
ShooShooBaby said:
i probably shouldn't even ask, but have you tried Kettle Chips?

mmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

I LOVE Kettle Chips!! A few summers ago my favorite snack was the Cape Cod chips and Paul Newman lemonaide! So good!

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Diamondback said:
Girl Scout cookies. One box=one helping...

Oh my gosh, thank you/darn you for jogging my memory! I have NO discipline when it comes to them!:eek: lol Samoas are the bane of my existence!lol
Great, now I'm going to spend the whole night craving them. :rolleyes: :p

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
NUTS!

Pistachios, cashews and macadamias especially. Chips and dip. Chocolate. Ice cream. Is beer food?

Kimberly

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
Pistachios, cashews and macadamias especially. Chips and dip. Chocolate. Ice cream. Is beer food?

I am the same way and can do mega damage with pistachios in particular. Now I buy the unsalted peanuts still in their shell. I can't do as much damage because it takes me a while to get the penuts out of the shell so I can't cram a handful in my mouth. :D

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Kimberly said:
Shoo, I try and do the same but sometimes it's so hard. I remember buying cajun style pistachios from Trader Joes thinking they were healthy and I wound up eating the entire bag in 3 days! :D

The one fruit I can't ever get enough of are mangos. I buy a dozen a week at BJ's and have at least one a day.

OOhh, I love mangoes!! I didn't realize you could buy them at BJ's in bulk. I'm totally gonna go there tomorrow.
If you like mango and you have a bit of a sweet tooth, check out your local Thai restaurant to see if they make the dish sticky rice with mango. MMmmm, what a delight. As far as treats go too, it's probably better than eating chips or candy and is just as sweet as candy. It's definitely not low calorie or carb, but the sugar in it is all natural, and at least it's preservative free.
Basically it's sticky rice, which is a glutenous type of rice, shorter grain and obviously sticky and much sweeter than regular rice. You can't just put it in boiling water to cook it. It has to be soaked in warm water for at least 8 hours but I soak mine for about 24 that's if I have the patience to do so. Then you line a bamboo steamer (these are cheap and can be found at any Asian market) with cheese cloth or banana leaves (the leaves are harder to find but they add an extra sweetness to the rice so if you can find them at the Asian market I recommend getting them), then you spread the rice over the cheese cloth or banana leaves, the thinner the layer the quicker it will cook. Then just put the covered steamer over a pot of boiling water. Let it steam for about a half an hour, less if the layer is thin.
For the sauce, you can do a few different things. I got my recipe from my roommate in college who was from Cambodia, but there are lots of different variations that can be found online. I use 1/2 can coconut cream, 1/2 can coconut milk, 2 tbs sugar, and 1/4 tsp. salt. Mix all ingredients in a sauce pan over lo heat until it starts to bubble and is well combined.
After the sticky rice is fully cooked, the rice grains will have a bit of translucency to them, take the steamer off the pot and let it cool for at least an hour. You can open the lid to check for doneness, it should feel sticky, not mushy not hard.
After it has cooled, place a serving size on a plate or in a bowl. Drizzle some of the coconut cream mixture over the rice. I like a little more than what they put on the servings in the restaurant, but you don't want to soak the rice or it will get too saturated and mushy. Sprinkle some lightly toasted white or black sesame seeds and sprinkle over the rice and coconut milk mixture. Then top it off with slices of room temperature ripened mango. I like to cut the mango into bite sized pieces, it's just easier that way. But when I make this for company I make pretty designs with the mango slices:D

Well, this is my favorite snack. It sounds like it's time consuming to make, but most of the time is really just waiting for the prep of the sticky rice. You can get sticky rice at the Asian Market, some other markets sell it too, but it's easier to go to the Asian market and they have all different kinds. If you have trouble finding it, look for glutenous rice. I prefer the white grain over the black grain, it's sweeter and takes less time to cook. Of course, if all of these seems like it would be a royal pain in the butt, you could always just order it from a Thai restaurant:D
I have a lot of different "sweet fruit" (this is what my roommate from Cambodia called it) recipes if you ever want to try one. I have a major sweet tooth, and these treats are just as good as candy to me. I know, they aren't a completely healthy alternative, but they aren't full of preservative or deep fried.

Things that I shouldn't have in the house, especially when I'm on prednisone (a steroid I have to take) are Fruit Loops and Fruity Pebbles. I ate an entire box of Fruit Loops in 2 days once when I was on a really high dose of prednisone!
Another thing I'm addicted to are cherries. I can't get enough of them. I guess there could be worse things to eat, even though it's a natural sugar, it's still sugar and carbs.

One thing I'm addicted to right now are called "hot apple cinnamon sticks" from a restaurant near my house. They are some sort of light fluffy dough that is filled with fresh apples and cinnamon. They are fried, sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar, served with homemade caramel sauce and homemade vanilla bean ice cream. They use the freshest apples that are so crispy even though they are baked. It's like an apple pie on the inside and a thin funnel cake with cinnamon and sugar on the outside. Mmmmm so darn yummy!!

Add me to the Nutella Lovers Society. Mmm, nutella and banana crepes. Or just banana with nutella, or with strawberries, raspberries or blackberries. So very good. I just discovered white chocolate nutella. I don't know how it is, but Hemingway Jones is allergic to cocoa, so he can't eat chocolate. But since white chocolate is cocoa free, he can eat it. Now that company's like Hershey's, Nestle and Reese's are making a lot of their goodies in white chocolate he can finally know what a candy bar tastes like to a certain extent. But, I've always wanted him to know what nutella tastes like. I think I'm gonna get him some of the white chocolate kind. I know it won't be exactly the same, but it will give him an idea of what I'm so gaga about!!
Ok, this thread is making me so darn hungry for sweets. Thanks Kimberly!!!:p lol :p

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
Dried apricots, and black sesame crackers (they're Chinese, and I don't know what they're called in English)

Kimberly

Practically Family
Daisy, it sounds as if you and I have the same taste in food. A friend of the family lives in San Fransisco and whenever he comes east or I go out there I have him make his sticky rice. I can eat it plan with just a little soy sauce! Yes BJ's has magos and I am going to have to check out you suggestion next time I am at a thai restaurant. Another thing I like doing w/ mangos is making my own salsa.

I have not heard of white chocolat nutella, and I am glad I haven't as it has the potential of being just as addicting as the regular! :D

Kimberly

Practically Family
Feng_Li said:
Dried apricots, and black sesame crackers (they're Chinese, and I don't know what they're called in English)

We have something similar here in the US what they are regular crackers. They are really good with hummas or peanut butter and not that high in calories. I would love to get my hands on the black ones as they sound yummy.

Okay, I am seriously going to bed in a few minutes. I am getting hungry and feel like raiding the fridge. lol

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ShooShooBaby said:
i probably shouldn't even ask, but have you tried Kettle Chips?

mmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

I second the mmmmmmmmmmm!!! I really like the Salt and Pepper ones. I was visiting my sister a few years back and she had them. I was so hungry and they were the only snack she had in the house so I tried them, not really excited or thinking they would be satisfying, but with one bite I was addicted!!

I really am a junk food junkie which is really bad considering I'm on a medicine that makes me hungry all the time. I go through phases, one week I'll crave something and can't get enough of it, and the next week it's something different. A few weeks ago it was Entemans coffee cake, in the individual serving packs. For a couple of days I was craving butternut donuts. The cravings are really random, and I definitely have to have some serious will power. Funny thing is, they put me on this drug because I actually needed to gain 10 pounds. I ended up gaining a bit more than that:eek::( and now the doctors are telling me I need to lose weight. Argh, how darn frustrating. Even more difficult is they want me to lose weight but I have to still take the steroids because I have become steroid dependent. Every time I try to wean off of them I get sick, so just when I think I'm home free and going to be off of them, I have to go back on them. I end up having to go on a high dose to control the illness, and since it is addictive I can't just go off of it, I have to wean down and very slowly. So it's a real pain in the butt:( The good thing about it is it gives me enough energy to make me feel like a super hero, and it does allow me to eat. So, even though I hate the weight gain I wouldn't be able to eat and I'd end up pretty miserable. I do think of just stopping them, dealing with being sick for a few months and dropping the weight! But that's not a very good idea. Thanks again for starting this thread Kimberly. I just don't have enough will power to read this thread, it's making me have some serious cravings!!

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I'm usually pretty good about behaving myself when it comes to goodies. While I have a weakness for dark chocolate, I don't tend to overdo it.

My achillies heel however, is nuts, particularly, cashews. I don't tend to keep cashews in the house because I will eat them, not to mention, the expense.

LadyStardust said:
Oh my gosh, thank you/darn you for jogging my memory! I have NO discipline when it comes to them!:eek: lol Samoas are the bane of my existence!lol
Great, now I'm going to spend the whole night craving them. :rolleyes: :p
Hey, so am I, now that you specifically mentioned 'em, so we're even on that one...;)

ShooShooBaby said:
this goes without saying!

mmmm samoas/tagalongs/thin mints....

Kimberly said:
That's what my favorties are samoas. Those things are so good they should be illegal! ;)

Ummm, this is scary, ladies. Remind me that if my little Texas project's ever built and I host a group of Loungers, I gotta lock up the GS cookies! Think my demolitions locker will do for keeping 'em secure?:eek:

Kimberly, you are so right--the darn things are even worse than those miniatures I collect for addictiveness, and the latter have been described as "plastic crack"!

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
I can't eat sugar, which is no longer a problem, but opening up a jar of smuckers natural peanut butter is opening pandora's box.

MR. PEANUT STRIKES AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
Kimberly, you are so right--the darn things are even worse than those miniatures I collect for addictiveness, and the latter have been described as "plastic crack"!

you collect miniatures???

o732000_6_0am.jpg

20002.jpg

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I am the WORST at portion control when it comes to snacking. Especially when it comes to chocolate and sweets. There's a cookie shop a few blocks from my apartment that makes heavenly cookies, so I bought 6 today, hoping they would last the whole weekend. I ended up eating 5 today! And they are BIG! God help me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic