Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

Oooh, right, there is one boot thread that's allowed to be here! :D

20210117-230342.jpg

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have no idea how you guys walk around all day long in those clunky boots. They look great and I love the photos. Its one think if you have a genuine need for boots (e.g., for your occupation, riding a motorcycle, or off-road hiking), but for day-to-day walking around town, it just doesn't make sense to me. I'll take sneakers every day of the week for comfort and practicality.

For the very few here that wear sneakers, I recently discovered a new brand that I like: www.nothingnew.com . Well-made, study sneakers at a reasonable price. And, for those who care, they are "sustainable."

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I have no idea how you guys walk around all day long in those clunky boots. They look great and I love the photos. Its one think if you have a genuine need for boots (e.g., for your occupation, riding a motorcycle, or off-road hiking), but for day-to-day walking around town, it just doesn't make sense to me. I'll take sneakers every day of the week for comfort and practicality.

For the very few here that wear sneakers, I recently discovered a new brand that I like: www.nothingnew.com . Well-made, study sneakers at a reasonable price. And, for those who care, they are "sustainable."
You may think I'm crazy, but over a full day of walking and/or standing I find good boots to be vastly more comfortable than sneakers. At work, I'm on my feet a lot and I need the support. The fact that the leather actually molds to your foot really makes a huge difference to me as well. If you're just driving or sitting in a train or sitting at a desk, then yeah sneakers are more comfortable, but for me, if I'm standing and walking then I would go with certain pairs of boots.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
The

the leather is really nice - I look forward to it how it ages.
Walking is different compared to a laced boot. I have almost no heel slipping and I feel comfortable to wear these boots a whole day.
With my other boots I always had to break them in in stages (1 Hour, 3 Hours, half a day...).
It s a new feeling to put new boots on and walk in it for the rest of the day...

That's good to know, I'm really pleased that you like yours. That's really a good looking boot with wonderful leather. I hope you wear it well and see the transformation later on. I feel the same way wearing my Chelsea boots so I'll get an engineer boot sometime this year.
Thank you

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
Comfort is subjective but I think my most comfortable pair of footwear is a pair of Lucheese cowboy boots that have molded to my feet. I love my vans, Jordans, ultraboosts, and airmaxs like the next hypebeast, but there’s something about a leather footbed than forms around your feet with every step, along with a proper heel and arch support that evenly distributes your weight. Sneakers have great cushioning for your footbed, but that’s about it. They don’t have the same secure “firm handshake” feel around your entire foot like well made leather boots. There’s just no substitute for this boot fanatic.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Comfort is subjective but I think my most comfortable pair of footwear is a pair of Lucheese cowboy boots that have molded to my feet. I love my vans, Jordans, ultraboosts, and airmaxs like the next hypebeast, but there’s something about a leather footbed than forms around your feet with every step, along with a proper heel and arch support that evenly distributes your weight. Sneakers have great cushioning for your footbed, but that’s about it. They don’t have the same secure “firm handshake” feel around your entire foot like well made leather boots. There’s just no substitute for this boot fanatic.
Yup I'm with you on this. For sure, comfort is subjective.

I would say that over a short period of time, sneakers might be more comfortable, but that cushion in sneakers doesn't work for me over a long day. The support of leather that has molded to my feet gives me less pain after a full day of standing/walking. Obviously, if I'm on my feet for 10 plus hours, my feet hurt no matter what, but it's less with boots for me.

andyone

A-List Customer

Apart from all the points allready mentioned, there is one thing that makes me prefer leather shoes in general compared to sneakers: I have much less foot sweat in leather shoes.

red devil

With all these cool chelsea showing from Benzein, I decided to make the jump :)

As far as I can tell they have 2 lasts the bormeo and and the Kujang. Is the Kujang a bit more shaped?

Also do you know what is the cloe leather?

Tom71

Call Me a Cab

I usually take a 45-60min walk on my lunchbreak. I wear suit and tie and my dress shoes. Luckily, my feet don´t bother me much, and I don´t get sores or blisters at all. Yesterday, the weather was so foul, that I put on New Balance sneakers for my daily walk and guess what: my feet were hurting in the evening. Lack of insole and to much "wobbly" cushion, I suppose.

Totally subjective, I know. I guess, you can get used to anything (whether its sneakers, boots etc.) and then don´t feel great once to sway from your normal path.

red devil

I usually take a 45-60min walk on my lunchbreak. I wear suit and tie and my dress shoes. Luckily, my feet don´t bother me much, and I don´t get sores or blisters at all. Yesterday, the weather was so foul, that I put on New Balance sneakers for my daily walk and guess what: my feet were hurting in the evening. Lack of insole and to much "wobbly" cushion, I suppose.

Totally subjective, I know. I guess, you can get used to anything (whether its sneakers, boots etc.) and then don´t feel great once to sway from your normal path.

The human body is great at adapting

While I haven't got anything else to add what @dudewuttheheck and @Ayeteael haven't stated already - Just gotta point that the "firm handshake" analogy is simply the most perfect description of what a good pair of boots feel like; keeping your foot firmly in place, supporting it and actually make walking or standing seem easier - I'd just like to say how from a subjective standpoint, I feel genuinely lousy when not wearing my boots. While I'd occasionally wear boots during the summer, it wasn't until the last year that I decide to stick only to harness boots and now I can't think of ever going back to any other, lighter footwear. Wearing boots makes me feel better.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
With all these cool chelsea showing from Benzein, I decided to make the jump :)

As far as I can tell they have 2 lasts the bormeo and and the Kujang. Is the Kujang a bit more shaped?

Also do you know what is the cloe leather?

Alright! I hope you'll like it!

The kujang looks more of a refined last with shaped heels that help keep my feet in place. Pity they don't have half sizes, I have size 41 (US 8) on my boots and would be better with a 40.5.

The Cloe they offer is horse butt made from somewhere in Italy. I have the cigar brown and I love it, I'm also ordering a burgundy one as well but with a lace to toe boot.

red devil

The kujang looks more of a refined last with shaped heels that help keep my feet in place. Pity they don't have half sizes, I have size 41 (US 8) on my boots and would be better with a 40.5.

The Cloe they offer is horse butt made from somewhere in Italy. I have the cigar brown and I love it, I'm also ordering a burgundy one as well but with a lace to toe boot.

Ok, so need to go with the Kujang last, the sleek shape is very attractive.

Now need to choose between badalassi black, shinki black or cloe burgundy... I asked them if they have more than the 3 colours with badalassi and waiting for the answer. The petrolio would be really cool!

Ayeteael

A-List Customer

Echo what @Jin431 wrote. I've got the Kujan lasted chelseas and they have a very nice almond toe. Not overly pointy like SLP or the like, and not chiseled like RM Williams.

I've also got some cloe horsebutt boots on order. Maryam seems to get all the buzz, but Cloe is another Italian tannery that seems to produce quality hides. Peng over at Flame Panda is a big fan, so that's a good enough cosign for me.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Echo what @Jin431 wrote. I've got the Kujan lasted chelseas and they have a very nice almond toe. Not overly pointy like SLP or the like, and not chiseled like RM Williams.

I've also got some cloe horsebutt boots on order. Maryam seems to get all the buzz, but Cloe is another Italian tannery that seems to produce quality hides. Peng over at Flame Panda is a big fan, so that's a good enough cosign for me.

Yes sir the cloe cigar horse butt is Beautiful, hopefully they offer a black version too. The burgundy horse butt looks cool too, I'll getting a TDD01 with that. I do have the black horse butt from Maryam (Truman boot) and it's thick but supple leather, that's what I'll use with my flame panda order as well

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Ok, so need to go with the Kujang last, the sleek shape is very attractive.

Now need to choose between badalassi black, shinki black or cloe burgundy... I asked them if they have more than the 3 colours with badalassi and waiting for the answer. The petrolio would be really cool!

For Badalassi they have the black/cognac/tobacco. Maybe you can special order something so they'll source it for you.
I also have the black shinki teacore Chelsea and I think the cloe horse butt is a little nicer.
I'm getting the cloe burgundy as well, that looks cool. I'll pair that with my tumbled cordovan aero Premier hwm that will be coming in the next few months

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Alright TFL brothers there’s been a few Wesco Engineers posted here the last few days. I’m into it. Not sure if I’ll go stock, custom, or used, but I’m in. I have owned exactly one pair of engineers. Red Wing Engineers in Black Klondike. They didn’t fit quite right and they’ve been sold after wearing for only about an hour to test out the fit. I always enjoyed engineers but was scared of them. But that little experience got me roped in. I know there’s Lofgrens or Clinch or Attractions but Wesco make a really solid engineer without breaking the bank. Definitely a step or two above Red Wing so I can get a true engineer experience but not feel completely sick if they don’t work out and have to flip them. So anyone here that owns any Wesco Engineers let me know what they are, why you like them, why you don’t, favorite model etc.. thanks in advance everyone.

Danny - I have Wesco Mr Lou's right now (12D), along with a pair of 12D John Lofgren's. The Lofgren's run wide, so I have to double-sock them to fit. The Mr Lou's run a bit narrow, and actually fit perfect as is. That's where the simularities end. They look but do not feel or walk similar to each other.

Suprisingly, the JL's walk very comfortably. They have a moderate arch support and well shaped heel, however the forward portion of the boot is relatively flat & straight instead of shaped.

The Wesco's are still in thier beginning stages - I have still not taken them off carpet yet - still "100% new". However the actual act of walking in them is very different than the JL's. This is why I have not yet "committed" to them. It seems like an opposite issue of what I typically have had.

Usually if I get the fit right, everything else just falls in place. I will keep this updated as to what I decide in the next few weeks.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up

For insight into this, ask an actual, working cowboy why he never takes off his boots, even sometimes while he sleeps.

I'm a "hybrid" in this area. I grew up on a farm and wore boots a lot, but also wore tennis shoes and correct running shoes given the curcumstances. That is how I still am - I have on my feet now "non-heritage" Keen-branded made in China boots that fit & feel like tennis shoes. In the YMCA I most certainly wear supportive athletic shoes. However I also really enjoy boots, especially leather boots inside & out that have good arch support and mold to your foot. What I have again realized this winter is that the "smooth" Vibram soles that most of my leather boots have on them are not very good at navigating icey sidewalks & streets. A couple times landing on your bottom end (or worse) and you begin to re-think what is good for you and your health.

Plus wearing something like a pair of White's or Wesco's you get a free workout for your 10,000 steps a day. 8 lbs of weight verses 1.5lbs. Makes a pretty big differance...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider