Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

dannyk

One Too Many
To clarify my opinion on them. I dont mind graining and I dont mind wrinkling happening eventually. I dont like how the toe caps have literally like no grain but the side panels do. I would like a more uniform look whether its grain, or no grain. Im not opposed to leather having natural graining or even scars and marks. In some boots that a feature not a flaw. I also dont like it looking that wrinkly fresh out of the box. If I were buying used or 2nds doesnt matter. If they were mine and I wore them for 6 months and they developed like that also fine. Its the fact to me its fresh out of the box that way and no uniformity to them, and I doubt were advertised that way. I could be wrong though if the sale photos or advertising language spoke about the natural graining of the leather etc.....well then thats on the buyer.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
11.5 Viberg size in the 2040 last. I believe their sizing is similar to UK sizing. I wear a 12 in most boots and a 13 in running shoes.

This is the only panel on any of the boots with this issue, the rest are uniform.
These are my Vibergs, both sides. As you can see, the grainy panels are there on purpose. Look awesome, too, but that is a matter of taste. If your boots have only one grainy panel, and the rest are smooth, something's wrong. Do you have shots like these below of your boots?

DSC_2536.JPG
DSC_2537.JPG

Last edited:

Observe

One Too Many
These are my Vibergs, both sides. As you can see, the grainy panels are there on purpose. Look awesome, too. If your boots have only one grainy panel, and the rest are smooth, something's wrong. Do you have shots like these below of your boots?

View attachment 428413 View attachment 428414
I don't have the boots handy right now but here's an on foot shot where you can see almost all other parts of the boots. Not exactly the same situation as your boots above, which, I might add, I quite like the appearance of and don't consider that to be a defect or flaw, just different grain tension.

Attachments

• 20220521_005933.jpg
    20220521_005933.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 110

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
^^
Okay, I see. The rest of the panels on your boots being smooth, I think your doubts are justified. Could be poor clicking on Viberg's part, to use the industry term. If it bothers you, I'd ask to see a different pair, particularly if you are paying full retail.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
11.5 Viberg size in the 2040 last. I believe their sizing is similar to UK sizing. I wear a 12 in most boots and a 13 in running shoes.

This is the only panel on any of the boots with this issue, the rest are uniform.

Okay, I am a US 10 (UK 9) in the 2040. I was half-hoping for (half-fearing;)) an easy way out for your dilemma. I do repeat that the boots are super-sweet, but I do also repeat that I fully respect your differing opinion...

Observe

One Too Many
Here you can see the creasing on my 2 year old Whites Bounty Hunters in black CXL horsehide. Variation in tension between panels, but nothing that I'd consider to be at the level seen on the brand new Vibergs.

I've also included my pair of Eastman Tanker boots which exhibit some pretty striking grain variation, again which I'd argue is not the same as what we see on the Vibergs.

Attachments

• 20210617_184726.jpg
    20210617_184726.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 95
  • 20210617_184747.jpg
    20210617_184747.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 93
  • 20210617_184758.jpg
    20210617_184758.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 95
  • 20220524_114907.jpg
    20220524_114907.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 92
  • 20220524_114924.jpg
    20220524_114924.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 90
  • 20220524_114950.jpg
    20220524_114950.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 95

Fonzie

One Too Many
Here you can see the creasing on my 2 year old Whites Bounty Hunters in black CXL horsehide. Variation in tension between panels, but nothing that I'd consider to be at the level seen on the brand new Vibergs.

I've also included my pair of Eastman Tanker boots which exhibit some pretty striking grain variation, again which I'd argue is not the same as what we see on the Vibergs.
Mate those Eastman Tanker boots are off-the-chart cool.

marker2037

Practically Family
Got these Viberg 2040 service boots in Shinki horsebutt the other day. I immediately noticed the below pictured panel of the outside quarter of the left boot had some pretty questionable looking grain compared to the rest of the boot. I only tried them on for sizing and my concern for the quality of the leather only grew, as the top layer of the leather appeared to be delaminating further. What do you guys think, would you consider this acceptable for a 6 month wait for pre-order? I'm personally rather disappointed and have already contacted Viberg by email, waiting for their reply after the long weekend here in Canada. I'm hoping that I'm not being too picky in expecting a bit better QC, but I'm open to other's opinions on it too.
The loose grain in that spot mostly wouldn't be a problem for me, but ONLY if the same panels on both sides of both boots had the same loose grain. Considering that every other panel on your boots has smooth, tight grain I would definitely not be happy with those.

Observe

One Too Many
The loose grain in that spot mostly wouldn't be a problem for me, but ONLY if the same panels on both sides of both boots had the same loose grain. Considering that every other panel on your boots has smooth, tight grain I would definitely not be happy with those.
I'm of the same mind as you on this. I hope that in showing some of my other footwear I've demonstrated some level of understanding of the mechanics of leather as it ages and the characteristics of the hides. It's the irregularity of it which bothers me.

Viberg got back to my email, stating that they were dealing with a couple other similar issues (I assume QC related from this pre-order), and that they would be back in touch with me "if" there are further steps to be taken. I hope to hear from them soon.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Here’s a shot of my Viberg (last 310).
Grain on the left boot is considerably more pronounced than on the right. also, the leather marks and scuffs super easily. I don’t mind both, and indeed these are my fave boots (when the colour fits my outfit).

No right or wrong when it comes to personal taste, of course.

6EAFA275-593E-4A84-A559-D996B7191700.jpeg

Mich486

One Too Many
Loose grain (not just grain) is passable on sub $300 boots but on these expensive makes imho is just bad publicity for the brand. I get it they are trying out new leathers and whoops shit happens. I also get we are talking about boots meant to be trashed but still…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112