Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For once vintage in a positive way on TV

Louise Anne

Suspended
I'm sure the Daily Mail link got nasty comments not because these people dress vintage or collect things, but because every one of them was glorifying strict gender roles and the article made them sound holier than though - ie. my marriage is so much better because he works and I don't, I always look perfect and the house is clean, things were all better and less violent back when, etc. Sorry to say, but what a load of c%^*! It might have been editing, but the readers can't know that for sure, and of course that puts people's backs up.
Not too sure about that!
My family for one would think seeing some one wear full vintage is really funny, not my DAD as he was a young man when these fashions were first around and remembers by mother wearing similar, but the other generation mine and younger would roll around laughing.
I know this becuse it happened at a vintage event which we came across by change.
Not in ear shoot becuse they not as rude as that ...
Personally I thought it was not worth an argument with them, bite my tongue and all that.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
:eeek: Well I now am now well embarresed and wish I had not.:eeek:

Don't think that! It was a great piece and I think all of us here are glad you posted it. My comment was based on my experience with vintage where people would say to me, "I love your look and wish I could wear that! But I have nowhere fancy to wear an outfit like that (while I was in a house dress in the grocery store)!" And the comment of limiting that beautiful outfit to just specialty times made me think of all the times people wished they could "dress like that". Perhaps I should have mentioned that. But I think you are absolutely right that it was such a positive piece for the vintage wearer. :)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Possibly, but you don't have to prove people right, and they may be surprised. All the vintage girls I know in real life are quite self-sufficient, and many are feminists. The women interviewed there didn't just dress like it because they love those eras, but sounded like they were hiding from the world and life.
I don't think articles like that which focus on that particular kind of vintage woman are in any way representative of the vintage community, and that is where the problem lies.

Well, it's been gone over in a tonne of detail before, but the article was definitely skewed. Joanne Massey did a post-TWW interview on the blog of the same name, and her life is a very different story than the one told on TV.

But back to not proving people right - Absolutely. It's a well known fact that those who have a very unique look or tastes make great fodder for unkind speculation. I myself am one of the vintage girls who probably surprises people.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Say no more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1042702/Time-Warp-Wives-Meet-women-really-live-past.html

They don't display the comments anymore, but it was relentless and cruel. If you run a couple Google searches, you'll find blog entries about them where it gets really horrific. Interestingly enough, people are so much more kind to their male counterpart, not just in the comments but in the tone of the article.

The "Time Warp Wives" generated a lot of astonishingly negative discussion right here at the Lounge, with so much piling on and judgementalism that we had to close the thread. If vintage enthusiasts themselves are so ready to devour their own, why should we expect any better from the outside world?

Most of that negativity came before Joanne Massey told her side of the story, and revealed just how distorted the original TV series actually was. The presenters went out of their way to create a perception of the women involved that did not reflect the reality of their lives, for the specific purpose of creating a response. Once the truth was known, there were a lot of apologies offered all around -- but the fact remains, a lot of people here weren't willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. And, again, if *we* don't feel the need to try and understand, why should we expect anyone else to?

Drappa

One Too Many
I'm really confused, I can't find the other thread anywhere on here? I also didn't realise this was a tv show, and that the editing was completely fabricated. I have to say though, that allowing the Daily Fail to interview one requires a lot of faith in the goodness of humanity, which I am lacking. There has never ever been a balanced, well researched piece in that "paper". If they're not busy hacking people's phones they're making sexist comments on women's bodies (whether too thin or too big according to them), and fabricating myths about the scary immigrants and benefit scroungers we all need to watch lest they kill us in our sleep. So, it seems the comments on the article were not only anticipated, but manufactured on purpose by the crazy editing of the "piece".

Louise Anne

Suspended
There has never ever been a balanced, well researched piece in that "paper". If they're not busy hacking people's phones they're making sexist comments on women's bodies (whether too thin or too big according to them), and fabricating myths about the scary immigrants and benefit scroungers we all need to watch lest they kill us in our sleep. So, it seems the comments on the article were not only anticipated, but manufactured on purpose by the crazy editing of the "piece".

I think we should put our heads together and tell it as it really is ...

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
Say no more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1042702/Time-Warp-Wives-Meet-women-really-live-past.html

They don't display the comments anymore, but it was relentless and cruel. If you run a couple Google searches, you'll find blog entries about them where it gets really horrific. Interestingly enough, people are so much more kind to their male counterpart, not just in the comments but in the tone of the article.

Sometimes, I don't get it. People can be very cruel and very judgmental to eachother. :( If dressing up a certain style or decade makes you happy, that's all that matters. I can relate to the idea that these women feel like we are living in very uncertain times. It's not the only time where I thought that this decade (whatever in the heck you call it) to be very alienating.

I guess I've always assumed that vintage (maybe where I am at) is usually something (well except for the price) is very positive. It's not the only time, where I see TV programs dedicating a segment on how to get the "Mad Men look". What I have noticed though, especially at events, is how judgmental women can be on "how vintage are you". I saw a bit of that today.

BTW, I love the 1940s woman. I want her house, her dress, her car, and her sewing skills. lol!

I also want to marry that 1940s man. :)

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
but because every one of them was glorifying strict gender roles

I agree that there is a element of this in their criticism. I could never quite understand this either. Women seem to be very harsh on women that choose to "stay at home". That's their choice and as long as their relationship with their spouse is healthy (no abuse or anything like that) that's all that really matters.

Why should we criticize other women for their life choices?

Last edited:

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I think the most logical explanation is that women do this when the life choices of other women make them feel, consciously or subconsciously, less secure about their own choices.

This is so true - a prime example being since having my daughter I have become so aware of the criticism piled on women (on internet forums etc.) by other women for how they (a) chose to have their baby (b) how they decide to feed it (bottle vs breast being the one that brings out the worst in people) (c) whether they let their children watch tv (d) whether they cook/bake for them from scratch (e) stay at home or go to work. Some of the comments made have been so scathing and downright vicious - so much for sisterly solidarity.

I think a lot of these women should just mind their own business and busy themselves doing some growing up instead of berating other women for their choices.

rue

This is so true - a prime example being since having my daughter I have become so aware of the criticism piled on women (on internet forums etc.) by other women for how they (a) chose to have their baby (b) how they decide to feed it (bottle vs breast being the one that brings out the worst in people) (c) whether they let their children watch tv (d) whether they cook/bake for them from scratch (e) stay at home or go to work. Some of the comments made have been so scathing and downright vicious - so much for sisterly solidarity.

I think a lot of these women should just mind their own business and busy themselves doing some growing up instead of berating other women for their choices.

But they were taught to roar :rolleyes:

Women are vicious creatures...... until I found the FL I never felt a whole lot of support from them [huh]

Louise Anne

Suspended
I also blame Twitter now as people seam to vent at strange thing and about others then their followers agree and egg them on they get into the habbit and it spills out into other places.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
But they were taught to roar :rolleyes:

Well, that's just it. A lot of gals know the words -- the "ITS ALL ABOUT CHOICE" refrain -- but they don't know the melody, so to speak. It ends up being just rhetoric and not something they understand how to actually put into real-life application. And what that translates into is freedom for *them* to choose, but not for someone who would choose something else.

In real life, freedom of choice means an awful lot of people are going to choose to do things you personally don't agree with, that you might even find personally repugnant. And they might feel the same way about you. And everybody just has to learn to deal with it.

I was a bottle baby, I eat white bread, red meat, and canned vegetables, I bake with lard, and I have watched my share of TV. There's something there to offend everybody, I'm sure.

Last edited:

rue

Well, that's just it. A lot of gals know the words -- the "ITS ALL ABOUT CHOICE" refrain -- but they don't know the melody, so to speak. It ends up being just rhetoric and not something they understand how to actually put into real-life application. And what that translates into is freedom for *them* to choose, but not for someone who would choose something else.

In real life, freedom of choice means an awful lot of people are going to choose to do things you personally don't agree with, that you might even find personally repugnant. And they might feel the same way about you. And everybody just has to learn to deal with it.

I was a bottle baby, I eat white bread, red meat, and canned vegetables, I bake with lard, and I have watched my share of TV. There's something there to offend everybody, I'm sure.

Well, you're certainly not offending me, but I know what you mean.

I think it comes back down to the way people are raised. I was taught that if you don't agree with someone's choices or beliefs, you should keep it to yourself. I fail at it sometimes, but I'm only human :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think there's a difference between commenting on broad questions of culture and attacking the choices of individuals. I'll criticize modern culture to beat the band because I think it needs to be discussed -- and if it takes that kind of criticism to get people to look at their culture critically, so be it. But I try not to criticize specific individuals for their private choices -- they make their beds, and they're the ones who get to lie in them, whatever bedclothes they choose.

rue

I think there's a difference between commenting on broad questions of culture and attacking the choices of individuals. I'll criticize modern culture to beat the band because I think it needs to be discussed -- and if it takes that kind of criticism to get people to look at their culture critically, so be it. But I try not to criticize specific individuals for their private choices -- they make their beds, and they're the ones who get to lie in them, whatever bedclothes they choose.

I completely agree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy