Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For Sale: Good Wear Leather Type A-1 Vermont Espresso HH (44-46)

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I had really hoped to hold on to this rare early Good Wear, obtained from another FL member, but a change of circumstances means that I'm reluctantly offering this beautiful jacket for sale.

This is an early Good Wear Leather Type A-1 in Vermont Espresso HH. I believe that John no longer offers this lighter weight horsehide, which is of a similar weight/drape to my ELC .50cal A-1 in capeskin. The aroma of the leather is marvellous with no nasty smells/stains.

This is tagged 44, but I wear this comfortably (and I typically wear a vintage 46).
I believe that a former owner treated this with hot water once to expand a bit, which was entirely successful: there are no holes and no issues. Great grain to yoke and back panel, some paler marks to leather (shown). There are a couple of small nips (less than 2 mm in diameter) in the rear waistband, which can be darned easily.

This is John's house style A-1 with a finer woven lining than the A-2, three part sleeves with triple stitched raw edge, and a correct knitted collar (higher at the rear, lower at the front). It is based on the example shown in Suit Up.

Please check dimensions (measured with a soft tape while buttoned and laid flat) carefully.

Pit to Pit: 24 inches.

Sleeve (top seam to the end of knits/including knits): 22 inches (these are original length, the top stitching is still present, but the shorter length is offset by the broader shoulder).

Sleeve (armpit to end of cuff) 18 inches.

Nape of neck to end of cuff 33 inches.

Front (collar to bottom of leather/knit): 22.5 inches

Shoulder (straight across): 20 inches

Back (from top of leather panel to the end of knits/including knits): 25 inches

£500 plus any shipping/PayPal costs.

Attachments

• IMG_1590.JPG
    IMG_1590.JPG
    826 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_1591.JPG
    IMG_1591.JPG
    890.9 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_1592.JPG
    IMG_1592.JPG
    732.7 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_1593.JPG
    IMG_1593.JPG
    603.1 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1594.JPG
    IMG_1594.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 202
  • IMG_1595.JPG
    IMG_1595.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 189
  • IMG_1596.JPG
    IMG_1596.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 191
  • IMG_1597.JPG
    IMG_1597.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 191
  • IMG_1600.JPG
    IMG_1600.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 187
  • IMG_1600.JPG
    IMG_1600.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 218
Last edited:

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Thanks @MET for the tip. This is exactly the jacket that I am hunting for. Strange measurements for a JC tag 44. Shoulders, P to P, would all work for me. But 22" sleeves", no way. Plus the front length at 22.5" doesn't seem like a standard JC tag 44. But I am still learning. It wold not work for me, unfortunately.
If anyone sees one that is longer, and has at least 26" sleeves, this is my grail.
Thanks!

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
The previous owner expanded the jacket slightly using hot water treatment (see listing) and so it’s more properly a 46 now. The sleeves are short measured from the top seam to the end, but the wider shoulder compensates a little for this, making them more like a 23” if that makes sense. I’ll measure the distance from centre of nape of neck to cuff in the manner of a dress shirt.
The front measure on the other hand is quite conventional for an A-1 (it’s cut lower at the front) and sits comfortably below the belt buckle on western style jeans.

MET

A-List Customer
I am sorry that I forgot to mention that Dr H is Dr. Ian. He is a real gentleman and very helpful, communicative and will answer your questions about sizing and etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran