Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For the Boys...and us girls too!

retromom147

One of the Regulars
I'm new so I don't know if this is an ok thread? I want to post this link so you guys can see the Elvgren style pinup reproductions. They are really cute with a modern edge in some. It is a magazine for the troops whether they be in or out of the country and although my husband was a soldier, I in no way am trying to sell any of their books or trying to garner troop support.
I hope you enjoy the pictures and the effort on the part of the models to bring back the REAL idea of feminine beauty, and sexiness.

www.forthetroopsonline.com

Hugs everyone!:)

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Gillette Elvgren's pin-ups have always been amongst my favourites. It's a nice twist to see the modern-day photo interpretations of his work alongside the originals. It looks like one of these will find its way to my bookcase! :eusa_clap

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I wish the "For The Girls" one had the guys looking a little more vintage (Clark Gable? Errol Flynn? Pleeease?) but this is a really cool idea.

carter

I'll Lock Up
I picked this oversize volume up on sale at the local Barnes & Noble last evening. It may be the best compendium of American pin-up art and information on the artists ever published.

11967199.jpg

This book is also available from Barnes & Noble online.

Camille

Familiar Face
Viola said:
I wish the "For The Girls" one had the guys looking a little more vintage (Clark Gable? Errol Flynn? Pleeease?) but this is a really cool idea.

I couldn't agree with you more. That "modern man-pinup" look just doesn't do it for me.

But the girls-section was amazing! :eusa_clap

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
True. I can't see my soldier husband getting worked up about those, but I think they are fun for me to look at, and to see the illustration and photograph side-by-side. The cute doggie! Thanks for posting the link. Oh, and they needed to have more pictures of the boys as so few really didn't give an accurate sampling of the calendar. Yeh, I'm boy-crazy.

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
carter said:
I picked this oversize volume up on sale at the local Barnes & Noble last evening. It may be the best compendium of American pin-up art and information on the artists ever published.

11967199.jpg

This book is also available from Barnes & Noble online.

I was able to find this book. It's amazing! As for the website.......loved the retro girl pinups. The other one "for the girls" wasn't quite my cup of tea. The "for the boys" had more artsy, classy photos.

Thank you Retromom!!!!

retromom147

One of the Regulars
for the girls was okay....I prefer men in BDU's and a gun...lol. Okay I'm a little closed minded cause my husband is 6'3", blond, german and 230lbs. hahaha, definetely the warrior type.
And I do agree with Eliza about the 'real' beauty being different for every person. I was simply refering to the fact that the pinup girls of old were an average of 5'6" and weighed about 135-140 lbs...so they weren't twigs driving the beauty industry and ruining the self image of young teenagers. I am definetely a curves woman...I would prefer them to skin and bones as does my husband.
Not to make this too long but almost every great and studied art form featuring women had a healthy and respectful view of them. Look at Michaelangelo, DaVinnci and the many renaissance artists...some of their female subjects bordered on pregnant looking. Whenever I'm tired of the stick figures in magazines and blasted onto billboards, I pull out my art book and look at Madonna and child or Mona Lisa by Davinci, or the Birth of Venus by Bottecelli, or Venus and Cupids by Makowsky...I don't know...it seems the true human form, is the most beautiful, despite it's flaws and scars.
Elvgren girls seemed to know that and not only accepted their curves but flaunted them as well. But that's just me.:) [huh]

carter

I'll Lock Up
A.R. McVintage said:
Carter, how big of a section does the book have on Al Moore compared to the other artists? Moore's my favorite.

The Al Moore section is four pages with eight full-color illustrations, two of which are full-page.

This 379 page volume covers fourteen artists from the Art Deco Period (1920-1940), twenty-three artists from WWII to 1970, and thirty-two additional prominent artists from 1930-1980. It is filled with full-color illustrations and would make a wonderful gift for anyone who appreciates pin-up art. At $19.98 less my Barnes & Noble membership discount, this was well worth the money.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
2 cents

I have always loved the classic pin up art... Because that's really what it was.. Art! The difficulty with trying to reproduce such shots is they occasionally need "enhancements" to full fill the look of the artwork. But I love the idea of recreating the shots.

Now as far as a fella's pinup... I could see more of the classic images from the golden era...But I'm sure what really sold the ladies pinups was the "oops" aspect.. However I don't know if that would work with the fellas.[huh]

"Afternoon miss...(as I tip my hat) Oh no! :eek: My shirt has just been ripped off by the revolving door, showcasing my flawlessly masculine chest and titan-like arms..." :eusa_doh:

Hey... quit laughing!!!

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
retromom147 said:
for the girls was okay....I prefer men in BDU's and a gun...lol. Okay I'm a little closed minded cause my husband is 6'3", blond, german and 230lbs. hahaha, definetely the warrior type.
And I do agree with Eliza about the 'real' beauty being different for every person. I was simply refering to the fact that the pinup girls of old were an average of 5'6" and weighed about 135-140 lbs...so they weren't twigs driving the beauty industry and ruining the self image of young teenagers. I am definetely a curves woman...I would prefer them to skin and bones as does my husband.
Not to make this too long but almost every great and studied art form featuring women had a healthy and respectful view of them. Look at Michaelangelo, DaVinnci and the many renaissance artists...some of their female subjects bordered on pregnant looking. Whenever I'm tired of the stick figures in magazines and blasted onto billboards, I pull out my art book and look at Madonna and child or Mona Lisa by Davinci, or the Birth of Venus by Bottecelli, or Venus and Cupids by Makowsky...I don't know...it seems the true human form, is the most beautiful, despite it's flaws and scars.
Elvgren girls seemed to know that and not only accepted their curves but flaunted them as well. But that's just me.:) [huh]

I couldn't agree with you more. That's a great idea about taking out an art book and looking through. I tend to get discouraged when looking through magazines and it does take a toll on what I think of myself. I grew up thinking that I was supposed to look like the girls in the magazines even though my mother didn't have that look. Plus having two sisters that are like models doesn't help. I need to keep reminding myself about the models of the past and to just own my curves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay