Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Forbidden items in my home...

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yes, those and talking dolls :eeek: I still can't watch that Twilight Zone episode.

I really hate dolls, I find them to be pretty creepy. One or two childhood dolls, fine. But many, many dolls? Creepy. Doll museums freak me out. All those little beady eyes staring at me... I even get creeped out when I walk by the museums, and I can't see the dolls.

I really don't like the idea of dolls with real people's hair on them. Or victorian mourning jewelry with the persons hair in it. I could see making myself a piece of mourning jewerly with a loved ones' hair, I just don't want strangers' hair in my house. And I'm not going to wear stranger's hair.

So no huge doll collection and no hair jewelry.

I do smoke cigars, but only on the weekends and never indoors!

I always have the TV running when I'm at home, just for background noise mostly. It's just too quiet all by myself.

Non-smoking, bacon-eating, Fox News-watching*, modern music-hating... C'est Moi :D

*actually I very seldom watch TV of any kind.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Clowns, yuk! Or dolls, (although i weirdly don't mind a troll doll, i'm with Sheeplady on that one. Although i do like a bit of mourning jewellery, so i do have some hair chez moi.

I refuse to have those shower and bath mat things with the rubber suckers you stick to the bath in my house. Terrible things. Or those things towelling mats you put round the loo - a heinous invention if ever there was.

Any seventies decor, if it is hessian, brown or orange, it ain't crossing my threshold!

El Sid

New in Town
There is no such thing as unbiased news, for the very act of choosing which stories are worthy of time exhibits bias. Of course, one always views that with which we agree as truthful.

So true, Subvet. Perhaps it is more appropriate to this thread for me to mention that I am forbidden from cooking live lobsters in our house. For a native New Englander, that is a real sacrifice.

TCMfan25

Practically Family
This was not during the war itself, the photo was taken in 1937, these were diplomatic missions intended to gain alliance with the new German government, the genocide occurring was not brought to British attention yet and the war was not on. Even if he was in cahoots with the Nazis, he was a traitor, tramp, and a disgrace to the Crown and Britain by marrying Wallis. He was of weak will and had no sense of national pride and responsibility....

Last edited:

TCMfan25

Practically Family
180px-Nazi_Windsors.jpg

This was not during the war itself, the photo was taken in 1937, these were diplomatic missions intended to gain alliance with the new German government, the genocide occurring was not brought to British attention yet and the war was not on. Even if he was in cahoots with the Nazis, he was a traitor, tramp, and a disgrace to the Crown and Britain by marrying Wallis. He was of weak will and had no sense of national pride and responsibility....

Last edited:

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Genoa salami, and gin. If I bring them in, they are gone in a matter of hours. I have that little self control.

That would be some smoothie.
Smoking. I can actually say I hate it. Meat, Im vegan. TV, don't watch it. Really loud people.

LD

Last edited:

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Woody Allen tells a story from his childhood when he said to his mother "I hate Uncle Fred"
His mother replied "Hate is a very strong word; you hate Hitler, you don't care for Uncle Fred"

Having said that, I hate smoking

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Woody Allen tells a story from his childhood when he said to his mother "I hate Uncle Fred"
His mother replied "Hate is a very strong word; you hate Hitler, you don't care for Uncle Fred"

Having said that, I hate smoking

Exactly. I use that word in only the most extreme of cases. Rarely is anything to the level of hate.

LD

RichardH

One of the Regulars
I allow no smoking in my house. I don't want smoke damage to my antiques, paint, curtains, fabrics, etc, etc, etc.

Modern music is also a no-no.

That's the only channel for news my folks watch, and that I watch lol To each their own!

What is "modern music" ?

I can´t really think of anything that I absolutely do not want in my house except for smoking. (For the same reasons as you) And no drugs of any kind obviously.

GamaH

A-List Customer
Idols. I'm extremely paranoid, and I keep getting this feeling that I'm being watched. For that reason, I have no collectible statues of anything, not even my favorite comic characters or whatnot.

Edward

Bartender
I wouldn't let a mime in my house. I absolutely cannot stand mimes. I want to push them over when they start doing that "I can't get out of a box" thing.

I just wish they'd learn the damn words.

That's a very good point, Edward. However, in order to avoid the same tiresome battles over doctrine, I try to argue at home that my ban on Fox News is merely a matter of taste. It should stand to reason, I was once told, that if the same newscasters were to deliver truthful, unbiased information with the same style, then my revulsion should disappear. I wholeheartedly agreed that this is an experiment worth pursuing.

I feel very fortunate to have the broadcast regulations we do in the UK. While they are on occasion breached, for the most part the legal requirement that all broadcast (TV and radio) news in the UK is bound by a duty of impartiality does improve the quality of journalism no end, IMO. Newspapers are free to editorialise, which is fair enough. Without being intentionally elitist, however, I tend to be mistrustful of anyone who requires a television station to tell them what their views are in place of being able to formulate their own opinion based on impartial coverage.

I always have the TV running when I'm at home, just for background noise mostly. It's just too quiet all by myself.

I used to do that, but I've come to prefer the radio or putting on some music instead as I came to feel the television was becoming too dominant a presence. I now try only to put the TV on when I am specifically going to watch something. I'm looking forward to getting rid of my CRT when I decorate and replacing it with a large flatscreen that can be closed away behind a door when I'm not watching it. I'm certainly not one to reject the modern world, especially modern television, wholesale, but I have come to dislike having the television be the focal point of the lounge when it is not in use.

This was not during the war itself, the photo was taken in 1937, these were diplomatic missions intended to gain alliance with the new German government, the genocide occurring was not brought to British attention yet and the war was not on.

It is a very common misconception that WW2 was fought, in part, to stop Hitler's death camps - as you are aware, they weren't known about til the allies reached them. That said, even by 1937 there was abundant evidence that anyone with a sense of ethics could never have condoned the Nazi regime. After his abdication, and during the war, the former Edward VIII gave serious consideration to the Third Reich's offer to install him on the English throne in place of his brother in the event of a successful invasion of Britain. I gather that in the end he turned them down for the reason that he was not convinced they were going to win the war and he didn't want to be pulled down with them if they lost.

Even if he was in cahoots with the Nazis, he was a traitor, tramp, and a disgrace to the Crown and Britain by marrying Wallis. He was of weak will and had no sense of national pride and responsibility....

The Crwn is a disgrace to the British people, but let's not go down that route. ;) The fact remains that Wallis Simpson provided a convenient device, a front for the establishment of the day to push him out, nothing more. Given the degree of deference with which the royals were treated by the population at large in those days, had the establishment backed his marrying Wallace Simpson, I doubt it would have been a problem. Of course, it did seem to me from what I have read about the man that he never rally wanted to be King anyhow, so I don't imagine he was all that concerned.

JimWagner

Practically Family
No illegal substances. No rap. No salesmen. No proselytizers. No uninvited critters - any number of legs. Smoking outside only.

Derek WC

Banned
No cigarettes, pipes and cigars welcome
anything of an illegal nature, including anybody on the lam
Hippies
ultra-modernist type people
anybody willing to try to argue with me or my family about anything, period (I get angry fast when arguing)
foul language
post '85 television programming, discluding the weather, regular news is out
anybody who wants me to adjust the AC or heating (60 to 65F is good enough)
anything contradicting the Good Book
rap, techno, basically any music post 1967
anybody who wants to talk about religion, discluding of course the clergy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112