Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Forum Upgrade -- POST ANY ISSUES HERE

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Did the colors change again? The stickies look more reddish-brown now. I like it.

Yes they did. I also lightened up the main message text.

While perusing the Members List I noticed the absence of one Marc Chevalier. That's akin to the NBA record books making no mention of Michael Jordan. Just an observation; I assume it's a tech gremlin at work.

It was a gremlin, thanks for pointing it out. Fixed now.

Thanks for replying. Security holes? What security issues were there?

Tons. More than I can possibly get into. If you're really interested, check out http://tracker.vbulletin.com and go all the way back to version 3.5.4 from 2005, which is the version of the board software we were using. Five year old software is going to have lots of issues.

Although Id been a big advocate of black text on light background, after reading the forum that way for a couple of days, I have decided that it doesnt look like The Fedora Lounge, so I am back to blackend. I just wish the letters in the posts were the same shade as those in the signatures - not completely white (that was too jarring for me and was the original reason for my desire for black on white), but not as gray as they are currently.

I tried setting the message color exactly the same as the Signatures, and that was tremendously jarring to the eyes (and I asked several folks for independent opinions on it). Still, at the time I write this it is 40% lighter than it was at the time you wrote your message. A good bit lighter, but not so much as to be terrible looking. For those who want to have stark white text on a plain black background, I'll try to find a style that does that.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Have you tried deleting the cookies in Firefox?
Unfortunately I have to leave various cookies from certain financial institutions in the cache or I'll be locked out of the accounts and have to talk to bankers for half a day to reopen them.:(

That said, I just successfully logged in on Firefox. :eusa_clap

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I tried setting the message color exactly the same as the Signatures, and that was tremendously jarring to the eyes (and I asked several folks for independent opinions on it). Still, at the time I write this it is 40% lighter than it was at the time you wrote your message. A good bit lighter, but not so much as to be terrible looking. For those who want to have stark white text on a plain black background, I'll try to find a style that does that.

Whatever iteration of the colour scheme we are up to now, I am finding this pleasantly readable.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Unfortunately I have to leave various cookies from certain financial institutions in the cache or I'll be locked out of the accounts and have to talk to bankers for half a day to reopen them.:(

If you go to Tools>Privacy in your Firefox menu, you should be able to selectively delete cookies. If you navigate to a page like google.com , then delete the Lounge cookie, then go to the Lounge, it should start working correctly.

Is there any chance of the tag being allowed in signatures?[/...od at the end of your link in your signature.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
It already is allowed-- You have a period at the end of your link in your signature.

Oops.

Although it was the weirdest thing. When I deleted the period earlier today, and typed the tags manually, it said that they w...end, but it was really bizarre. Well, thanks.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
1. What browser are you running? The editing window color should be white by default. If it's not, you can click the button on the top right above the editing window that looks like it has a small, black letter 'A' and a larger blue letter 'A', and that will change the color of the editing window from black to white.

2. What browser/OS are you running?

3. As I have said earlier in this thread, many of the icons need to change. Especially the post icons and the smileys.

4. I'll check on the deal with the image resizing.

5. Re: the message count glitch, what resolution are you running? This stylesheet isn't set to a fixed width, so some things will compress if you're running a really low resolution display.

6. Thanks for your support.

1. I'm running Avant browser.
2. WinXP SP3
3. -
4. -
5. 1600x1280. Should be large enough... ;)
6. You're welcome! :)

Lily Powers

Practically Family

Well, since you asked... I've noticed that when someone posts the smilie of the happy guy clapping, the smilie doesn't appear, but the code does (see above post as an example). Ditto on the "doh" smilie: :eusa_doh:

Change always takes getting used to for this stubborn Taurus, but the colors are much less jarring than the solid black background with the harsh white white white letters. Thanks for all the hard work in the upgrades, although I'll miss closing my eyes and being able to still see a post for another 20-seconds.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Liking the colors much more! There is one thing I've noticed lately; the minimum character limit is at 10, making a 'bump' to a question or post kind of hard, or at least overly wordy.

I wish the avatars on our profile pages were bigger. I would always like to see some peoples' closer, but it's so little...

And one question--is the max character limit for signatures still the same? I think it was at 120 or so, which I always found was just a bit too short to fit in some poignant quotes.

Last edited:

W4ASZ

Practically Family
It Cooks !

The thread URLs are now different after the upgrade, and it will take a while for googlebot to reindex our pages. It's actually doing it now, so expect googling things to not work exactly right for the time being. Our in-house search has been vastly improved, though...

That answers my only question so far.

Thanks for all your work on the upgrade, Nathan.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
A little update to my previous post:

The glitch in the postcount display only starts to occur if the first number exceeds one figure, eg. Results 1 to 10 of 26847 gets displayed correctly while Results 11 to 20 of 26847 ends up garbled.

Good:

fed_lounge_menu_prob_03.jpg

Bad:

fed_lounge_menu_prob_02.jpg

As soon as the first number exceeds two figures the blue navigation button on the far right ends up displaced as well.

fed_lounge_menu_prob_01.jpg

BTW: The glitch disappears if I turn off my favorites - which I don't really like... I'm running my computer at a resolution of 1600x1280, which should be plenty.

Lest I forget: The image resizing 'glitch' still persists. For example, the image above doesn't get displayed at the original resolution... I figure that image resolutions are simply no longer allowed to exceed the spatial resolution of that gray frame containing a single post, which would make it a 'feature' and not a bug... :mad: Ah, the humors of CSS. :rolleyes: The problem is that the image doesn't get downsized to the maximum possible resolution that would fit in the container but to a fixed horizontal resolution of 640 px.

Another strange thing I noticed is that in the main menu there are numerous backslahses (\) displayed in the description, usually where apostrophes or quotation marks appear in the text.

Note the backslash between doesn and 't in the screencap:

fed_lounge_menu_prob.jpg

Last edited:

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
yep...bottom left hand corner there is a pulldown box. (its in the same bottom area bar where 'contact us' is...) three styles to choose from.

Darkend, Default (white background black text and blue elements) and lightweight, the mobile style.

Its super dooper easy to toggle back and forth.

And this ability was yet another reason to upgrade the software....since there were many many discussions of people Loathing the black based design.

Now there are choices!

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
A little update to my previous post:

The glitch in the postcount display only starts to occur if the first number exceeds one figure, eg. Results 1 to 10 of 26847 gets displayed correctly while Results 11 to 20 of 26847 ends up garbled.

Good:

Bad:

As soon as the first number exceeds two figures the blue navigation button on the far right ends up displaced as well.

BTW: The glitch disappears if I turn off my favorites - which I don't really like... I'm running my computer at a resolution of 1600x1280, which should be plenty.

Lest I forget: The image resizing 'glitch' still persists. For example, the image above doesn't get displayed at the original resolution... I figure that image resolutions are simply no longer allowed to exceed the spatial resolution of that gray frame containing a single post, which would make it a 'feature' and not a bug... :mad: Ah, the humors of CSS. :rolleyes: The problem is that the image doesn't get downsized to the maximum possible resolution that would fit in the container but to a fixed horizontal resolution of 640 px.

Another strange thing I noticed is that in the main menu there are numerous backslahses (\) displayed in the description, usually where apostrophes or quotation marks appear in the text.

Note the backslash between doesn and 't in the screencap:

I fixed the slashes. Trying to figure out the image resizing and postcount. Smileys are mostly fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Impressive work all-around. I would add an applause emoticon but I can't find them. (I would add a shrug....) Now, I'm starting to get silly. Where IS that laughing emo' and...?

Also, when I do see that other more clever people have made use of the little faces, those new style emo's are very difficult to see. The old-style ones were more clear in their expressions.

Again, though; impressive overhaul.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Impressive work all-around. I would add an applause emoticon but I can't find them. (I would add a shrug....) Now, I'm starting to get silly. Where IS that laughing emo' and...?

Also, when I do see that other more clever people have made use of the little faces, those new style emo's are very difficult to see. The old-style ones were more clear in their expressions.

Again, though; impressive overhaul.
:eusa_clap
:D;):eusa_doh::cool:[huh]:eek:fftopic:lol:rage:[bad]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925