Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foul weather jackets

JD ARTHUR

New in Town
Back in 1959 and 1960 I bought a jacket which was referred to as a foul weather jacket. It was available at the Army Navy surplus store in my hometown of Reseda California. I rode an old Harley back then along with some other guys, we all had these jackets as they were warm and cheap. They were made of cloth (canvas I think) and had a sheepskin wool lining. They were olive drab in color. I would love to know if anybody knows what kind of jacket I'm talking about and ANY info on them. These might have been WW2 or even Korean war surplus. The kind I'm talking about did not have a hood and had a pocket on each side. They were longer than your waist.

Peacoat

Bartender
If it had buttons and a zipper up the front, it was probably a USN foul weather jacket, cold weather (permeable A-2). I have one, as well as the impermeable version, and both are warm jackets. Still available.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
They are on eBay and often available at Army/Navy surplus stores. I am on my mobile right now. When I get back home I will see if I can find a pic to post. There is a thread on this topic within the last few years that has photos.

Often these jackets will be found with the letters, "USN" across the back.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
OK, let's see how this works:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart