Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fountain pens

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
I make sure to only use a permanent ink when writing checks, yet I also knew you should only use fountain pen ink with a fountain pen. I have drawing pens which are fed only drawing ink and nothing else, and that ink is used only for these pens. I guess I had a bit of a brain fart about the idea of possibly using a fountain pen to write checks with, even though I knew the ink wasn't permanent. I think I was half hoping I could carry a single pen to use for everything, but the idea of me only having one pen on my person is pretty loopy as it is.:p

Aquia33

One of the Regulars
Montblanc Meisterstuck

... a gift from my wife in '86. Wonderful pen.

I have had a few unplesant experiences with several different pens while on a flight. I believe the pressure differences in the cabin and ink bladder caused some leaking, use caution when opening after a flight.

Under pressure

Aquia33 said:
I have had a few unplesant experiences with several different pens while on a flight. I believe the pressure differences in the cabin and ink bladder caused some leaking, use caution when opening after a flight.
Few fountain pens are able to fend off the pressure changes of jet flight.

If flying, they say to either fill completely or empty the pen.

They also suggest putting them in a zip lock bag.

Ink being mostly water is incompressable, but any air in the resevoir (sp) of a fountain pen can contract and expand, and that expansion is why the pen leaks. The force overcomes the delicate balance of ink to feed attraction and out comes the ink.

lenj

New in Town
Ventidue

I had the same problem with my Ventidue - skipping, uneven ink flow.

Had the feed replaced with a vintage Esterbrook feed - now writes the way it should have from the start.

The new Stipulas with titanium nibs have a new feed system and they have corrected the problem.

lenj

ObscureRefMan

New in Town
Just wanted to put in my $.02... They haven't been mentioned yet, but I have a couple of Monteverde fountain pens. I'd say they were "middle of the road", but I like them. Also a Waterman Etalon extra fine point which is great when small writing is called for.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
I'd have ink in the cap when I used to fly with my technical pens. I learned to put up with it or make sure the pens were empty beforehand. I'd be interested in flying with a full fountain pen to see how that works. I know a full ink bladder is supposed to help prevent leaks (as opposed to a full human bladder leaking:p ) but I have yet to try it. I should see how well my vintage Eversharp Skyline holds up to its original claims.

lenj said:
I had the same problem with my Ventidue - skipping, uneven ink flow. Had the feed replaced with a vintage Esterbrook feed - now writes the way it should have from the start. The new Stipulas with titanium nibs have a new feed system and they have corrected the problem. lenj
I can't believe that system survived any testing! Modern manufacturer's should not be making and repeating these mistakes.

sincerely,

ObscureRefMan said:
Just wanted to put in my $.02... They haven't been mentioned yet, but I have a couple of Monteverde fountain pens. I'd say they were "middle of the road", but I like them. Also a Waterman Etalon extra fine point which is great when small writing is called for.
Monteverde is a maker I don't have any experience with, but tthey do have some nice looking pens.

I used to work in Huntington in one of the Buildings along the 110. What's new back there?

zeus36

A-List Customer
I may have posted it before, but of all my various FP vintage and modern, my Sheaffer Targa is the smoothest writer I've tried.

Didn't see it mentioned, but most of the manufacturers offer nib exchange if your not happy with your current one or just would like to try something different. Most of the pens I come across are fine point (popular in vintage FP) but I like a medium nib for signatures.

I've tried four different nibs on my MB 149 and two on my Pelikan. (just a low end 150) via factory nib exchange.

If you really are into nibs, check out John Mottishaw of Mottishaw Nibworks:

http://www.nibs.com/

He did a repair of my flex nib on a Waterman #5 and reground it for my left hand. I met him at a pen show over at Fred Krinkle's when the shop was still in downtown LA.

His site also features info on fountain pen maintenance:

http://www.nibs.com/PenMaintenance.htm

zeus36 said:
I met him at a pen show over at Fred Krinkle's when the shop was still in downtown LA. His site also features info on fountain pen maintenance:http://www.nibs.com/PenMaintenance.htm
Hi zeus36!

Do you get over to Fred's place in Monrovia at all? Usually a few of the SCPCC guys are there on Saturdays. The Southern California Pen Collectors Club has a forum under the Yahoo groups under SCPCC. We'll be having our next meeting in April, and they'll post the meeting info on the group site pretty soon I think.

When I get back to work I have 2 Parker Duofold Seniors that need repairs for cracked nibs and an early Parker needs retipping nib repairs, those will have to go to John Mottishaw. I got to talk to him when we had the November Meeting that Huell Howser has as an episode of Visting with HH.

Sincerely,

zeus36

A-List Customer
Haven't been to the new shop in Monrovia... I used to visit Fred every few months-- back when I sat at a desk and did a lot of handwriting at my old job. Now, I'm mainly on the computer keyboard and do much less writing. Also, my interests have moved away from the pen arena. (the thrill of the chase has worn off :) ) I've got more than I can use and I keep a few close by on the desk. The rest are waiting their turn.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Old Parker Duofold

I have a duofold that belonged to a relative. I think it is late 20's, early thirties.

I'd like to send it away to have it repaired (fountain pen hospital comes highly recommended). The button isn't springy and I'm sure it needs new internals). I'm afraid of what this may cost. Does anyone have a ballpark for what an overhaul might run?

EdinLA44

Familiar Face
scotrace,

It sounds like all it needs is a new sac and a pressure bar. That's usually what goes wrong with these pens. It probably needs a thorough cleaning too. Dried up ink can clog the feed.

I would send it to Victor Chen at Penopoly in San Francisco. He fixed a Big Red Duofold that I had and he's really good. It should be under $50 unless it's got serious problems like the nib is bent or something. They're pretty backlogged with repair work so it may take them a couple of months to get it done. Victor has repaired several of my pens and I'm quite happy with his work.

http://www.penopoly.com/repairs.html

Duofolds are classic!

scotrace said:
I have a duofold that belonged to a relative. I think it is late 20's, early thirties. I'd like to send it away to have it repaired (fountain pen hospital comes highly recommended). The button isn't springy and I'm sure it needs new internals). I'm afraid of what this may cost. Does anyone have a ballpark for what an overhaul might run?
If you can take a picture of it we may be able to narrow down the years. Duofolds are top of the line Parkers and unless really screwed up always worth restoring. FHS is in NYC, there maybe others local that can do the job and save you shipping. If it is just a new sac figure 15-25, as they do more it jumps to $30-40 and up depending on what need to be done, especially if the nib needs work. To get a new Duofold it's around $400 OR MORE. For under a hundred you have a well made and well known, period pen with history.

The best thing to do is find out if there is a regional pen club, usually a club will have members that are skilled at restoration that you can have do it. OR they will be able to make recomendations as to who to send it to.

I use the Fountain Pen Shop, Inc. in Monrovia, CA and Fred Krinke who is 3rd generation pen repair man. 626-294-9974. Victor Chen is a noted repair guy.

Figure it will need to be disassembled, flushed out, cleaned out, new sac, re-assembled and a nib adjustment. maybe a little polishing. You want to try first to take it to someone and have them examine it and tell you what it needs. Search around to see if their are any Fountain Pen shops or vintage sellers, if you can't find a local club first.

I have only vintage Duofolds: 4 Seniors- 2 flat tops and 2 stream lined, 3 Junoirs- 1 flat, 2 streamlined, 2 ladies ring tops, and a vest pocket model
All are very cool vintage pens.

One of the seniors I will need to send to Mr. Motishaw for a cracked nib, along with two other cracked nib pens.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
John in Covina said:
If you can take a picture of it we may be able to narrow down the years.

The nib is fine (I've cleaned it up and polished it a bit since this picture). The green has darkened, which I understand is fairly common. I've posted about this pen before and just really need to get it fixed because I woud like very much to use it.
It's 4.5" long capped.
pen.jpg

scotrace said:
The nib is fine (I've cleaned it up and polished it a bit since this picture). The green has darkened, which I understand is fairly common. I've posted about this pen before and just really need to get it fixed because I woud like very much to use it. It's 4.5" long capped.
pen.jpg
Streamlined model with 2 rings on the cap maybe 1929-30 or 1933 is my guess. I'll try to get to a couple more books later on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24