Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FQHH jackets in Buenos Aires / Argentina

Windward

Practically Family
Hi all,

I'll go with my wife to Buenos Aires / Argentina and consider to open a special AERO Leather shop - or similar shop - for horse hide leather jackets.
What do you think?

Windward

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
No idea but have you done market research and a business plan? I wouldn't start a business without some evidence based analysis. I think the conventional wisdom (from the Washington Post fact checker page) is that around 50% of businesses fail within the first five years and having optimism is no inoculation against this.

schitzo

Suspended
How's the climate over there with regard to heavy leather jackets? In my experience of places hotter than the UK I don't think heavy steer and horsehide jackets are the order of the day. IMO goat and the other lighter hides are a lot more suited

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Unhh... also Argentina's economy right now... in a word... sucks. However there are folks with money EVERYWHERE so it might not be too bad a risk. However any country close to defaulting on its debt doesn't sound like a safe place to open up shop... unless its alcohol, drugs or guns.

Worf

Windward

Practically Family
A bit hot for FQHH?

SJ

Thanks for the comments....It can be very cold in Argentina - and there is also snow areas...
If you're used to lot of heat, with 40 degrees C and more, then you feel 8-12 degrees C veeeery cold!
Today there are only 12 degrees celsius - great jacket climate.

Edward

Bartender
I'm sure they get the weather for the jackets - the thing you'd have to figure out would be whether there is the market for it. Sometimes starting a business unlike any other in an area gives you the best of the market, sometimes the reason there's no business like it anywhere in the area already is because there's no market! Hope it works out for you - look forward to hearing more about it.

Windward

Practically Family
I'm sure they get the weather for the jackets - the thing you'd have to figure out would be whether there is the market for it. Sometimes starting a business unlike any other in an area gives you the best of the market, sometimes the reason there's no business like it anywhere in the area already is because there's no market! Hope it works out for you - look forward to hearing more about it.

Edward - many business doesn't start even though the market would be there...
Sure, someone need an entrepreneurial spirit and courage and vision ( and love what you do)!

Edward

Bartender
Edward - many business doesn't start even though the market would be there...
Sure, someone need an entrepreneurial spirit and courage and vision ( and love what you do)!

Also true! It's just a mattrer of figuring ouyt which this is! It'd be a great venture, though, if the figures show it'll be a goer. :)

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I read an article a while ago in the NY Times about a couple of leather and tweed shops in B.A. , and since then I've spoken to Argentinians here who've confirmed that those materials are very popular there. I'd follow Seb's idea about research, and then perhaps speak with Carrie at Thurston Bros., who seems very knowledgeable on the subject. Best of luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy