Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Frank Sinatra's Fedora

Sinatra

Familiar Face
This hat just sold on eBay for $575.00

Does anyone know what brand hat this might be and what size hat Mr. Sinatra wore?

Here was the description:

"Up for auction is a dark brown mens hat made on FIFTH Ave in New York. In excellent condition., Personally owned by actor and singer, "FRANK SINATRA" Who stared in many great films like, The Manchurian Cadidate. Also was the head of the Famous RAT PACK. This wonderful piece came from noted film collector and Entertainment Publicist, Robert Bosworth. . . A COA AND LETTER COMES WITH THE PIECE WHICH GUARANTEES AUTHENTICITY TO THE BUYER"

There was no mention of size or brand, and only this one picture shown:

sinatras_hat.jpg

MAN! If I just didn't have to pay rent this month! :p

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
I bet it didn't belong to FS. COA or no. Such a vague description from the seller. Were it me (well, were it me, no way would I be selling the old boy's hat!), I would be throwing as much description in there as possible, and put way more, and way better pictures on the auction. I think somebody made a tidy, quick, dishonest buck. Well, I guess it could have been authentically owned by Robert Bosworth.

BUT, if it is legitimate, I would have to say Cavanagh, except for the 5th Avenue reference. Cavanagh was on Park Avenue, to my understanding. Anything I have read (which hasn't been a bunch conerning this very subject) points to Cavanagh. In fact, very little of what I have read about FS addresses the hat(s) at all. Wish the picture was clearer. Cavanagh, while having it's signature edge (also used by other makers), also had kind of a raggedy trailing edge on the bow. The three I own have this type of bow. That might be able to tell us it is at least not a Cav if we didn't see this.

Size, I could not say. Since his proportions changed over the years (and this appears to be a later hat), it looks like his hat size would have, too. But I don't know what it was at any stage of his hat-wearing life. Big help, I know.

In Tina's book, she mentions her dad's hats as gone. "Even his Pal Joey hat..." It was during the time when Barbara "cleaned house." That's all the more she talks about his hat(s).

In summary, I wish I could help, and the end-all, beat-all answers I hope will not continue to elude us. I do believe the auction was dishonest, though.

Truly, good luck with the information quest.

Cab

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
For what it's worth, Baron's of California lists his hat size as 7 1/8+ or 7 1/4.

I just finished reading George Jacobs' book, Mr. S, and was hoping it might say something about his hats, but there was only a passing reference. More was said about his clothing than his hats.

Brad

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
Brad Bowers said:
I just finished reading George Jacobs' book, Mr. S, and was hoping it might say something about his hats, but there was only a passing reference. More was said about his clothing than his hats.

Brad

Isn't that the way? You know, for someone wearing something as iconic as himself (at least it has seemed to turn out that way), one would think more would be known about it.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Cabinetman said:
Isn't that the way? You know, for someone wearing something as iconic as himself (at least it has seemed to turn out that way), one would think more would be known about it.

If anyone would know about Sinatra's hats, it would be Jacobs, his valet for so many years. He probably does know, but just didn't think anyone would be interested. Unless he's passed away in the last couple of years, it might be worth writing and asking him, if I can figure out how to get a hold of him.

Brad

Sinatra

Familiar Face
Brad Bowers said:
For what it's worth, Baron's of California lists his hat size as 7 1/8+ or 7 1/4.

Brad

Brad, great to hear, since that is my size also. I dream of owning one of Sinatra's hats someday.

Cabinetman said:
In Tina's book, she mentions her dad's hats as gone. "Even his Pal Joey hat..." It was during the time when Barbara "cleaned house." That's all the more she talks about his hat(s).

Cabinetman

Thanks for the info Cabinetman. Finding and buying a Sinatra owned hat seems like pretty risky business at best and possibly impossible (did I really just say that? "possibly impossible")

Sinatra

Familiar Face
Brad Bowers said:
If anyone would know about Sinatra's hats, it would be Jacobs, his valet for so many years. He probably does know, but just didn't think anyone would be interested. Unless he's passed away in the last couple of years, it might be worth writing and asking him, if I can figure out how to get a hold of him.

Brad

Cool tip Brad, I love a good mystery, the search is on! :cheers1:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
It would be so nice to have a book on celebrities and their hats, but would be a nightmare to research. Information would be hard to come by, though perhaps costumer's notes in studio archives might help a bit. The actual hats are most likely either long since gone to the landfill or in the hands of private collectors. Best case scenario would be if they were still in the family's possession, and were willing to let them be documented.

The only hat I can think of that has been relatively well-documented is the Indy fedora, and that took years and the work of many dedicated (and obssessed:)) individuals. Multiply that by the many hats Bogart wore throughout his career...

Brad

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
As the saying goes , "A fool and his money are soon parted" .
If I remember , a few months ago , there was another thread about Sinatra's hats . Was this the same hat?:cool2:

Sinatra

Familiar Face
Brad Bowers said:
It would be so nice to have a book on celebrities and their hats...

Brad

Absolutely neat idea. I would purchase one at the drop of a ... well, ...hat! :p

I am fairly obsessed with Sinatra so as I learn anything new about his hats I will post here.

Slightly off-topic, there is a beautiful book called "Hollywood At Home"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0810959291/qid=1141934548/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-3905229-6439252?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

It has a fantastic section with detailed photos and article on Sinatra's Palm Springs Compound. Many, many other stars homes are treated in the same incredible way.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Dobbs

Fifth Ave makes me think Dobbs. Cagney used to wear a Dobbs (the Daily). Probably many other "leading men" back in the day did too. VHS sells a nice looking black stingy (1 3/8") called the Sinatra.

Sinatra

Familiar Face
Brad Bowers said:

Brad

On Brad's tip I began a search for George Jacobs and found this wonderful NPR interview with him:
Listen here:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1394743

...back to the search of my personal Holy Grail, the elusive Sinatra hat :)
cool_hat.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff