Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Freakish Weather

Nashoba

One Too Many
For those of us here in the states, just wanted to make sure that those affected by the freakish weather we've had in the last week are okay. I know that there were some major problems in the Midwest and some serious snow dumped in a lot of places.
Here in Tennessee it's been odd indeed. Yesterday we were at 75 degrees. In fact I was outside at 8:30 at night and it was still quite warm though rather windy and starting to rain. Today we topped out at 37 with winds at up to 40mph in some places (I thought our flag pole was going to snap at one point, I'm glad I took the flags down). It's freakish.
Has anyone else had really wacky weather?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member

Yes! In my part of Ohio, yesterday it was nealy 70 and raining all day. Today the wind is so rough it rocked my car at a stoplight, and they just canceled the Christmas parade. :(
It has been dropping about 10 degrees each hour. I think we're in the thirties now...

Avalon

A-List Customer
scotrace said:
they just canceled the Christmas parade. :(

:(

Here on Long Island we reached the upper 60s; now it's getting very windy and we're expecting thunderstorms tonight.

In December. :eusa_doh:

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Freakish Weather?

The weather you are all describing is typical Colorado weather. A sunny morning, a blizzard in the afternoon, snow melting within two days.

Nashoba

One Too Many
lol Paisley. We have a saying here in Middle Tennesse...You don't like our weather? Wait 5 minutes.
But even for us, this is wierd. I just went out to get the mail and practically ran back inside I was so cold. With the wind chill right now it's 30.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Texas is the capital of extreme weather conditions. Hail, severe thunderstorms, dust storms, tornadoes, extreme heat, ice, high winds, drought, bitter cold? We've got it!

Tuesday we hit 80 degrees. By 6:15 that night, we'd dropped into the 50s and by the next morning we had temps in the upper 20s, ice, and a wind chill in the teens.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If winter comes late, I fear it will stay late

Incredibly Freakish here in Boston. Yesterday we topped 68 degrees! A record high that was last broken in 1881!! Usually the beginning of December it is in the high thirties, low fourties during the day. At night it's not uncommon to dip into the twenties. Well, last nights low was higher than an average day's high, 58 degrees! It's hot and humid and it's December!! So strange, but honestly I don't mind it. I'll take as few twenty degree day's as possible. Today it was balmy and rainy, almost like it was June. It's pouring right now and there's a threat of thunder storms. Very Very odd. My only concern is, they say if winter comes late then it will stay late. A few years back we actually had a blizzard in April, I've even seen snow in May. After a few dark cold winter months, when I flip the calendar to May, I get a little twinkle of hope that I can put the down parka away. No more freezing cold days that numb the toes and burn the ears or any other part of the skin accidentally left uncovered. But, I think New England might have some of the oddest, most un-predictable weather.
So, I'm not complaining about this heat wave. I'll take as much warm weather as I can get. I don't even mind the fall weather, when the air gets cooler and dryer, but you don't really need to wear a coat, just a warm cashmere sweater, and maybe a scarf. I suffer through the winter months, they make me miserable. I really hope this war, crazy weather doesn't mean we'll have a May day blizzard!

Yesterday eastcentral Indiana was a rainey 66. Today(Friday) 25 degrees with 50 mi pr gusting winds. Sleet and flurries. BUT...somehow the snow moved around us. Chili weather..!!..or creamy potato soup for sure.
HD

pigeon toe

One Too Many
It's been ridiculously cold in LA for the past couple of days Alright, maybe it was in the 60's, but for some reason its much easier for me to handle rainy, 40 degree weather in the SF area than the dry harsh cold down here! Today it was a lot warmer though. I can't take the flip flopping, it gives me a cold every time!

olive bleu

One Too Many
that's pretty frickin' crazy!! Here in eastern Canada where we can expect some pretty frigid temperatures by now, today it was 61.And my family out in B.C. is buried in snow.Maybe by Christmas, i can go to the beach:)

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Bad Day to Fly

Talked to a person fllying into Baltimore today who said the air turbulance was the WORST they had ever experienced . Up & down, bouncing side to side. REALLY bouncing people on board throwing up, screaming even one person passing out UGH :eek:

SC :(

DocBob345

Familiar Face
What a storm

I live west of Chicago - we had 15" of snow. It was the first true blizzard I've ever experienced on the road. What a mess! The winds were near 40 mph, and THAT my friends will make you think a lot about keeping track of one's hat!

Nashoba

One Too Many
well it would appear that we're all getting strange weather coast to coast! The wind has died down here but it's still rather cold. My husband said it's been in the 60's - 70's at Ft. Lee in Va. I agree with Elaina, all this flip flopping of weather is going to make me sick again. I can handle the cold and I can handle the heat but the transition between the two kills me everytime!
At least everyone is doing okay!

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wacky summer

We used to get summers here. Now, we get, well, everything all in the one week!

Friday it reached 102 degrees, I don't want to know what the humidity level was, but I almost needed a snorkel to breathe through that hot thick soup that passed for air in the afternoon.

Yesterday, I went to Carols By Candlelight, it was struggling to get over 60 degrees. Eveeryone was wearing jackets, hooded sweatshirts and beanies. No wonder everyone's got a cold or the 'flu around here.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I got the photos to upload this time...

This is Friday at sunset at the city park in Frederick, MD. One reason I always keep a camera on me at all times.

clouds1.jpg

clouds4.jpg

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
It's been freakishly mild here in the UK, by now I should be in a scarf and gloves but it's really been almost too mild for winter coats some days and nights. We've had a couple of really cold days but it is very unusually warm here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24