Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lightweight Jacket Options - California Weather

dovahkiiin93

New in Town
Hello, new member here :)

*I tried to search before creating this, so if a dup thread forgive me*

leather jackets have always been my passion, and I always had those very cheap fake leather in the past because I couldnt afford a nice legit leather jacket

Recently I pulled the trigger and in the beginning of the year I gift myself with a nice schott perfecto 118, and I'm super happy that I did

but, since I'm living in California, the weather here is very hot and I would like to hear from you guys my other options for a nice lightweight leather jacket

I already tried the schott 626 both regular and VN, but I kind didn't like how it fits me, I'm short guy

1,72 height - 76kg

38 inch chest (measured with t shirt)
17 inch shoulder
24 inch sleeve length

Was looking at those Saint Laurent L01 used on grailed and I questioned myself if I should try it, found some options around 1.4K but since I'm a noob in leather jackets I decided to post here and do a little bit of research to check if I have better options

thanks guys

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
replace the quilted liner with basic cotton drill liner, or cotton ripstop liner for thin breathable yet very sturdy fabrics. have a liner pocket and use mesh fabric as the pocket bag, so it also function as ventilation to circulate air inside the jacket but the mesh won't be visible since it is a pocket bag. the leather shell itself especially as you mention 118 that is naked cowhide with minimal coating should have active pores and can breathe well. you can also add grommets/ eyelets on the back maybe bigger one on the side panel under the arm facing backward, and another pair near the kidney panel, so as you wear the jacket open the air coming from the front can escape easily on the back carrying your body heat vapor with it. also try to wear the jacket with the pocket zip half or completely open it would make a difference too.

Last edited:

TartuWolf

Practically Family
- Lighter / thinner leather (1mm or under).
- Light breathable lining would be the highest priority. Unlined would be even better.
- Light colored (tan, natural, white..) helps reflect heat from the sun
- I guess naked/aniline leather would breathe better than coated ones
- Perforated leather might be a good idea for breathability but it's a very specific aesthetic
- Shorter jackets will also work better than longer ones
- Buttoned jackets have better air circulation when closed up.
Some thoughts..
I'd say the Mister Freedom campus jacket would be an obvious choice if you like the cossack style.
Would also consider a natural unfinished shirt like this one:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/iron-heart-„pale-rider“-evolution-thread.111516/

Last edited:
The Mr Freedom Campus is a fun project, and option.

Welcome to Cali! Yes, it’s been hot recently. Good news is that if you are willing to go vintage the world is yours! Lots of 40s and 50s styles are perfect for guys around 5’8.. I love my Kehoe which is made from 60s Steerhide (lightweight and flexible but still more substantial than lamb). Goat is great too. Take a look at the Thedi thread, he makes beautiful jackets that are not suits of armor. I own a sheepskin Lewis Leathers Dominator that also is a pleasure to wear, but for me the 60s Steerhide is tops.

Last edited:

Brandrea33

One Too Many
I really enjoy wearing this jacket.

Im not sure it’s what I’d call light weight, but I don’t heat up in it like I tend to wearing leather jackets. Super comfortable with shoulder gussets that work like a charm. The lining is beautiful as well, and satin lined sleeves are a nice touch.

Its my go to for weather around 5-15C

D46A65D1-7A0F-4E66-8BD0-048ADE99368D.png

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Hello, new member here :)

*I tried to search before creating this, so if a dup thread forgive me*

leather jackets have always been my passion, and I always had those very cheap fake leather in the past because I couldnt afford a nice legit leather jacket

Recently I pulled the trigger and in the beginning of the year I gift myself with a nice schott perfecto 118, and I'm super happy that I did

but, since I'm living in California, the weather here is very hot and I would like to hear from you guys my other options for a nice lightweight leather jacket

I already tried the schott 626 both regular and VN, but I kind didn't like how it fits me, I'm short guy

1,72 height - 76kg

38 inch chest (measured with t shirt)
17 inch shoulder
24 inch sleeve length

Was looking at those Saint Laurent L01 used on grailed and I questioned myself if I should try it, found some options around 1.4K but since I'm a noob in leather jackets I decided to post here and do a little bit of research to check if I have better options

thanks guys
Do NOT pay $1.4K for an Yves Saint Laurent jacket. I am sure other Cali members such as @dudewuttheheck and others will chime in to help you out. Being in Cali, I would probably start with Johnson Leathers in SanFran. Local, will recommend the right leather, and can build you any jacket for better than 1.4.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Sorry OP, I missed the plot .. you said leather jacket ….

I need another coffee and some remedial reading comprehension lessons.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
California was probably the largest producers of leather outerwear from the 1930s through 1970s. California Sportswear Co. specialized in leather outerwear. Lighter weight windbreaker leather jackets were very popular.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The easiest way is to get your 118 relined in a woven cotton fabric. Least expensive way too, about 150 ish. Since you already like the fit, it's just that the quilt is too warm for your weather.

Or sell the 118 and move onto another jacket.

YSL jackets aren't directly comparable to the heritage brands listed here, it's apple to oranges. They use calf double bends leather or treated lambskins depends on models. The heritage brand guys will think it look too smooth but they're high quality to the fashion guys. It all depends what you're looking for. 1400 is an ok price for a used Saint Laurent jacket. 1600 ish budget will get you a almost new (with original tag and hanger) YSL from Japan's resale market. The biggest difference between the luxury fashion brand jacket and the heritage brand jacket is how the leather ages. The heritage brand leathers tends to get better with wear. The luxury fashion stuff is made to look new and shiny for as long as possible. There is also the obvious price gap, but some heritage brands are also pushing into the luxury brand pricing brackets.

Stick to the bigger well known brands so when the time comes to move them its easier.

TLW '90

Practically Family
A suede trucker has been about perfect for me on the 60° mornings we've had in my part of norcal the past month.
That would be my suggestion for leather jackets, but if it doesn't have to be leather I'd go denim.

Are you planning on a lighter duty jacket for certain times of the year or year round because you're up in socal or something?
Out here in my area of norcal it tends to hover in the low 50's most of the day in the winter but gets down to the 40's in the morning , so I like a nice warm jacket and layering.

dovahkiiin93

New in Town
yeah, I'm planning just to have a lighter option to go out at night, I really love the style of the 118 (perfecto), so something like that is what I'm looking for, I tested the 626 and the 519 from schott, I personally like the way the leather feels but as I mentioned I'm one of those in between sizes, the Small is too tight and the Medium is too baggy, so I end returning it

Here are a few pictures of the 118 (size36), I end up sending it to short the sleeve 1 inch, I felt the sleeves were too long on this pics when I first tried, it was bothering me tbh

also the left epaulet seems to be more elevated than the other side, but I measured to check and they have the same size, I guess is just the way it was stitched, but is not a big deal personally, hope with the time it will move down and get closer to the shoulder

Attachments

• 118_38_002-1.jpg
    118_38_002-1.jpg
    568.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 118_38_003.jpg
    118_38_003.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 118_38_004-1.jpg
    118_38_004-1.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 118_38_005-1.jpg
    118_38_005-1.jpg
    472.1 KB · Views: 75

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Do NOT pay $1.4K for an Yves Saint Laurent jacket. I am sure other Cali members such as @dudewuttheheck and others will chime in to help you out. Being in Cali, I would probably start with Johnson Leathers in SanFran. Local, will recommend the right leather, and can build you any jacket for better than 1.4.
Agreed

The real questions is where in Cali? You say it's hot. But only certain parts here are hot. The climate changes so much.

As other have suggested, the MF campus jacket would be a good option.

I live in socal and am comfortable in a variety of leather jackets including with wool lining. Depends on your tolerances.

Definitely no fashion garbage though

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I wear leather jacket in equatorial tropics, thick leather, but the lining is very minimal, I have cotton drill liner, cotton pique (polo shirt material) as a liner, something that air passes through and always some eyelets under the arm, over light weight t-shirt or cotton shirt. another factor is whether you just relocated or have been living there your whole life or at least for years, if you've been living in a certain climate for years, you practically can wear anything in it.

cbez

One Too Many
I could probably do a tshirt 99/100 days here and be fine, so it's more picking the days that are comfortable for jackets. Also depends how active you are and how hot you run. Walking to your AC'd car, to your AC'd office job?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
If you like mc jacket, then it must be in leather, so you can only tweak on the lining, ditch the quilted liner for cotton liner the difference would be instant. another idea is to modify a leather jacket by cutting off the sleeve into a crosszip vest.

no I don't use AC, never turn them on at home and in my car, in warm climate AC is just making me feel miserable because then I would feel the contrast even bigger whenever I leave the air conditioned room, and my body would have never acclimatized to the local temp, I use fan at home and open the window on the car, but also I ride bicycle in it (short distance ride)

Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Langlitz also offers some lighter weight leather options, and most of them do not have a "fixed quilted lining" such as the Schott 118. You can get it made exactly how you want it. Price point isn't that far from the Schott these days, and since you're reasonably close to Portland (relatively speaking) plan a trip there and get fitted for one directly. They have plenty of stock jackets you can try on as well. Exceptionally comfortable jackets to wear.

The fixed quilted lining in the primary Schott models I like is the reason I do not own one. I simply get too warm, and would prefer to layer under instead of having the lining as they make them. I would really like a 689H - but not with the fixed quilted lining. I could not see any of those models being practical in a warmer climate such as California unless you head to the mountains often.

dovahkiiin93

New in Town
I wear leather jacket in equatorial tropics, thick leather, but the lining is very minimal, I have cotton drill liner, cotton pique (polo shirt material) as a liner, something that air passes through and always some eyelets under the arm, over light weight t-shirt or cotton shirt. another factor is whether you just relocated or have been living there your whole life or at least for years, if you've been living in a certain climate for years, you practically can wear anything in it.
Yeah I been living in south of Brazil for my entire life before moving here! is almost the same kind of weather at the summer honestly... really wish schott do a version of the 613 or 118 in lambskin or with that lighweight cowhide of the 626 :B (maybe one day), love their jackets for the price

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner