Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lightweight Jacket Options - California Weather

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
oh yeah I live close to LA
Do you live east of LA or in the valley or actually right in Los Angeles/in the beach cities? Makes a huge difference. The micro climates here are insane.

I sometimes have to take a jacket off/put one on if I drive to a different city.

The lining is important as well. A silk or rayon liner will help out along with thinner leather in general.

dovahkiiin93

New in Town
I live in Irvine

has anyone tried those leather jackets from Addict Clothes? I was looking at this week and saw they have a sheep skin jacket, is that a good option (for being a light weight)? As I mentioned I dont have too much xp with different kinds of leathers, my knowledge is based on google search "lightweight, soft leather'' lol

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
sheep despite being thin and light weight is actually warmer than cow perhaps because of their smaller pores or whatever based on leather shell alone. based on sheep leather gloves I have and cow leather gloves I have in the past.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I live in Irvine

has anyone tried those leather jackets from Addict Clothes? I was looking at this week and saw they have a sheep skin jacket, is that a good option (for being a light weight)? As I mentioned I dont have too much xp with different kinds of leathers, my knowledge is based on google search "lightweight, soft leather'' lol
I have two jackets from Lewis Leathers made of sheepskin (not to be confused with lamb) and I would not have the impression that these are cooler or much lighter.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Call ahead to see what stock they have in store and make a trip to try them on.

Addict / Butterscotch
https://www.butterscotchlb.com/collections/addict-clothes?sort_by=price-descending

Lewis / Stronghold
https://thestronghold.com/collections/lewis-leathers

If you're gonna spend 2 grand on a brand new jacket, it's best to see it in person first. LA area members can chime in if there are more stores there to check things out.

I have one Lewis leather jacket in sheepskin, and I want to get an Addict sheepskin jacket too but haven't been able to find one in my size on the used market. Addict used to be more expensive but I just looked and they're about the same now. Lewis is the original and Addict is the copy, but Lewis' ordering process is too complicated now, I can't even hit the cart button without filling out all the very specific pull down tab first, very poor way of getting new customers or returning ones. When I last ordered, I just added a size to cart, checked out and they contacted me by email. Things have changed since. Addict ordering seems easy as click and buy but again, it's best to try them on before ordering.

The Lewis original cuts are short and boxy, and slim fit cuts are slim and long, very similar to Addict's cutting. You have to try them both on to see which one you like better.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Yeah I'm oc as well and wear leather jackets quite a lot regardless of the leather thickness or liner. I've adapted to the weather possibly.

Fifty150

One Too Many
1695283274353.png

Never understood how anyone living in extreme heat or even moderate year round warmth could (or would want to ) wear a leather jacket. With the exception of course being used as protective gear, etc. In general I don't reach for my jackets until the temps are below 50 degrees (wind chill dependent). I'm certain that if I lived anywhere that was warm 12 months out of the year, there's no chance I'd have anything other than denim and canvas jackets. Even 50 degrees with full sun and no wind is far too warm for leather.

Never understood how anyone living in extreme heat or even moderate year round warmth could (or would want to ) wear a leather jacket. With the exception of course being used as protective gear, etc. In general I don't reach for my jackets until the temps are below 50 degrees (wind chill dependent). I'm certain that if I lived anywhere that was warm 12 months out of the year, there's no chance I'd have anything other than denim and canvas jackets. Even 50 degrees with full sun and no wind is far too warm for leather.

Totally. No bike=very few leather jackets. I’ve reached some sort of Leather equilibrium in my life. I’m on a denim and canvas kick lately. And vests. I can wear vests all the time to work and look normal.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
to block the prickling heat of the sun exposure out, leather is more effective than denim doing that, and if not tight fit and you wear it open it just like wearing a leather sandal over your feet, air pass through the front and come out on the back through different routes cooling down back and underarm. but of course if your jacket is made with giving warmth or keeping body heat inside concept with storm cuff, quilted liner, insulated, wool liner etc, then these jacket whatever the outer shell made from won't be wearable in warm climate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner