Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fred Astaire vs Cary Grant

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
In a fist fight? Or a dance off?
How about a charm battle? How many women would swoon over each?
I think maybe Grant had broader opportunities to show his style, since he had had more diverse roles, and his career lasted a little longer.
Wouldn't want to choose a favorite as a performer. Maybe Grant got to wear more nice clothes.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I like his point about Astaire being closer to any everyman (o.k.,minus the incredible dancing talent!;) ) than Grant. Astaire needed his clothes to look perfect. Grant was nearly perfect in form and would look great in a t-shirt and work trousers. I don't care too much for the tie as belt though on Astaire it worked.

jake431

Practically Family
Sefton said:
I like his point about Astaire being closer to any everyman (o.k.,minus the incredible dancing talent!;) ) than Grant. Astaire needed his clothes to look perfect. Grant was nearly perfect in form and would look great in a t-shirt and work trousers. I don't care too much for the tie as belt though on Astaire it worked.

I agree - I could never pull off wearing a tie as a belt myself, but Astaire obviously had a very nuanced sense of his own style that made it work for him.

-Jake

Will

One of the Regulars
They were both gods but I think Astaire tried too hard, too often. I've a photo of him somewhere wearing a button down oxford cloth shirt with a double breasted flannel suit. And a collar pin. And a tie bar. The effect was dizzying.

Grant, on the other hand, was always just about perfect.

jake431

Practically Family
Will said:
They were both gods but I think Astaire tried too hard, too often. I've a photo of him somewhere wearing a button down oxford cloth shirt with a double breasted flannel suit. And a collar pin. And a tie bar. The effect was dizzying.

Grant, on the other hand, was always just about perfect.

I think the Sartorialist's point was exactly that though - Cary Grant would be perfect fallen out of bed in pj's, with a hangover, he didn't have to try. While Astaire might have over-reached on occasion (as your example certainly indicates!), when he put it together, it was just all working for him. I suppose it would be interesting to know to what degree either of them relied on stylists to help get their "looks".

-Jake

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Lincoln versus Roosevelt.
Bugs versus Mickey

Astaire tried
Grant tried

Wait no... they succeeded, they didn't try!

They both looked great in and out of pyjamas
Well... Astaire had character... Grant looked great and had character.

You can't compare the two.... they both end up on top.

Will

One of the Regulars
jake431 said:
I think the Sartorialist's point was exactly that though - Cary Grant would be perfect fallen out of bed in pj's, with a hangover, he didn't have to try. While Astaire might have over-reached on occasion (as your example certainly indicates!), when he put it together, it was just all working for him. I suppose it would be interesting to know to what degree either of them relied on stylists to help get their "looks".

-Jake

According to the biographers that I've read (a couple for each man), neither used a stylist. There weren't any then.

I think it's a credit to how hard Grant worked that so many men assume he'd have looked great under any circumstances. He obsessed about how he looked.

Film and tv actors, along with American politicians, are virtually the only people who have the benefit of being able to observe themselves in hour after hour of film so they can make improvements to their walk, their posture, and every other detail. The result looks to us as though they are naturals. Don't believe it.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Archibald Leach late of Bristol

Funnily enough I noticed the Cary Grant book in the window of my second hand bookshop. It won't be there this afternoon...

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
cookie said:
Funnily enough I noticed the Cary Grant book in the window of my second hand bookshop. It won't be there this afternoon...

It's a great book, packed with photo's....I got it last Christmas. The Astair book is nice also, but not nearly as thick or packed with photos or information as the Grant book.

You won't be sorry to have that book on your bookshelf!!!

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Apples and Oranges. They both had great style though. Astaire's influence was more European even though he was an American and Grant's had more of a sporty American look even though he was a Brit.

They both are very very sexy.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Will said:
According to the biographers that I've read (a couple for each man), neither used a stylist. There weren't any then.

Yes and no. The role of "stylist" was played by the actors' tailors or haberdashers.

Eddie Schmidt, a first rate Hollywood tailor, was most definitely Clark Gable's "style mentor," whereas James Oviatt (a haberdasher) was Adolphe Menjou's "fashion savant" for decades.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Eddie Schmidt, a first rate Hollywood tailor, was most definitely Clark Gable's "style mentor," whereas James Oviatt (a haberdasher) was Adolphe Menjou's "fashion savant" for decades.

Tell me about Menjou...I do not know anything about him...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24