Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fred Astaire

tortswon

Practically Family
Astaire's jacket

I saw Fred Astaire's formal jacket at the Museum of the Moving Image. He was an incredibly tiny man. The way directors made him appear on screen in terms of his size shows the true magic of cinema

Feraud

Bartender
tortswon said:
I saw Fred Astaire's formal jacket at the Museum of the Moving Image. He was an incredibly tiny man. The way directors made him appear on screen in terms of his size shows the true magic of cinema
Was that the museum in Queens, NY?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The word my mother always used was "cadaverous". She was not a fan, but I've always been. He was also a talented song writer. He had several hits.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
You know, i will never,never understand why Graham Greene once called Fred Astaire:

"The nearest thing we are ever likely to get to a human Mickey Mouse" [huh]

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Excellent article on Fred's youth and his long stage partnership with his sister Adele:

http://www.americanheritage.com/people/articles/web/20081028-Fred-Astaire-Adele-Astaire.shtml

Hadley - To understand that statement, you have to remember that there was a time (the early to mid-30s) when Mickey Mouse was not just incredibly popular with audiences, but was widely perceived by social critics and artists to be a brilliant new everyman character for the modern age: Chaplin's little tramp (also beloved by the literati for the previous decade) taken to another level of creativity. Walt Disney was widely heralded as a cinema genius the equal of Chaplin and D.W. Griffith... a position that would be solidifed in 1937 with Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - and then be slowly eroded over the following decades.

Anyway, what Greene meant was that Astaire's unique physical grace and humor conferred upon him some of the same quicksilver genius that Mickey Mouse was perceived to have at that time.

Footnote - See the outstanding 1936 cartoon "Thru the Mirror" (a rare solo outing for that period that doesn't include Donald Duck, Goofy, Pluto, Minnie, etc.) for Mickey doing a top-hatted Astaire-style dance. Not surprisingly, Mickey - who can do anything, after all - can be very elegant!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Doctor Strange said:
Hadley - To understand that statement, you have to remember that there was a time (the early to mid-30s) when Mickey Mouse was not just incredibly popular with audiences, but was widely perceived by social critics and artists to be a brilliant new everyman character for the modern age

Anyway, what Greene meant was that Astaire's unique physical grace and humor conferred upon him some of the same quicksilver genius that Mickey Mouse was perceived to have at that time.

Thank you for the explanation Dr Strange! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran