Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Freewheelers Mulholland (Spartan Leathers Sportwear Repro)

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
First and foremost, huge thanks to @dudewuttheheck and Duke Mantee for making this happen. I am very grateful!

I have been a huge fan of Freewheeler products for several years and own many of their wares, including three non-leather jackets. However, obtaining one of their leather jackets has been more challenging. The primary obstacle is sizing. FW’s leather jacket sizing is all over the place with no apparent rhyme or reason. My favorite FW model – the Caboose – is too narrow and short. The Speed Master is scary narrow. I have long admired the Brakeman, but continue to believe that the sleeves will be too short. Interestingly, FW’s non-leather jackets have much better sizing (at least for me).

The Mulholland has always been the best fitting on paper. However, I initially was luke warm on the design – in particular, the stitching connecting the pockets to the center zip. However, over time, I began to appreciate the distinct look of the Mulholland more and more, including the integration of certain design elements employed by Cal Leathers and that vein of vintage moto jackets. Approximately a year ago, I made the decision to buy a Mulholland. Unfortunately, the one and only available new black Mulholland in my size – at McFly – sold days earlier. You snooze, you lose. To make matters worse, FW recently introduced the Rebels jacket which appears to replace the Mulholland, and the Rebels measurements are much less desirable for me.

For the past year, I have been monitoring Yahoo.jp auctions, but to no avail. Then, last week, @dudewuttheheck posted that Duke Mantee was selling his black Mulholland in my size. Thank you @dudewuttheheck . Duke Mantee was a pleasure to deal with and the jacket arrived a few days later. Thank you Duke.

The Shinki leather is fantastic, but completely different from many of my other Shinki jackets. The leather is much heavier than most of my Shinki jackets, with the exception of my RMC Steinbeck which also has a heavier variant of Shinki. My aversion to heavy leathers is well documented. Fortunately, this Shinki is not as heavy as the beefy Horween options. Moreover, and far more importantly, this Shinki is surprisingly pliable notwithstanding its relative heft. Not at all stiff or rigid. Likewise, it has a moldable character that differentiates it from certain mid-weight Shinki hides, which mold less. It’s a great balance – heavy, robust, and moldable, yet eminently pliable and wearable. I love this leather.

The graining on the leather is amazing! Really pops!

Grain 020.jpg

Grain 021.jpg

The construction and top stitching are stellar.

Stitching 020.jpg

Stitching 021.jpg

Stitching 022.jpg

The cut is rather v-shaped – more so than the barrel shape of my body. As a result, the waist is snug when zipped – not uncomfortable, but snugger than my other jackets.

The Whizzer (similar to Hookless) main zipper is flat-out terrible. I hate to prophylactically replace operational zippers, but I might be compelled to do so here.

I was hesitant to buy a jacket with zippers on the handwarmer pockets because the teeth will scratch my watches. However, the handwarmer pockets on this jacket are shallow and, therefore, even with my hands stuffed all the way in, my wrist does not make contact with the zipper.

The FW Mulholland is a repro of a jacket from Spartan Leather Sportwear (San Francisco, California). I poked around a bit but could not find any information about the company. Is anyone familiar with this company? @tmitchell59 ? @Mysteryo ?

With the stitching connecting the pockets to the main zipper and the horizontal waistband stitching, the front layout is similar to a Cal Ventura, but with cuffs rather than zipper sleeve-ends.

dsc_0309-jpg.120373

calchpmain-jpg.35191

The sides and back of the Mulholland are completely different from the Ventura.

Finally, I assume the jacket is named after the infamous Mulholland Drive and Mulholland Highway in So Cal, both of which are well travelled by moto and car enthusiasts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulholland_Drive . I grew up and lived most of my life (until just recently) within a few miles of Mulholland Drive and I used to drive on Mulholland Drive almost daily (not to mention the early morning weekend rips on the Mulholland Highway when I was younger). Thus, the jacket name has a particular connection for me.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Really sharp jacket! Love the very clean design and the thicker than typical Shinki Horsehide.
Too bad about that zipper - but Johnson's can set you with with a good replacement.

Hey I recognize that Cal -- forgot I ever had that (straight zip)one. On the "sale" table while I still lived in the northern part of Iowa.

upload_2021-3-29_20-44-0.png

TG3

One of the Regulars
Congrats Super! That is one seriously badass jacket. It fits like a dream. Dare I say perfect. Those close up shots really display what I keep hearing about FW. That stitching is insanely good. I appreciate the little history lesson as well.

Enjoy it Sir!

Superfluous

This Mulholland looks good on you. Not too Motorcyclist...but a mild touch of badass.
Congrats Super! That is one seriously badass jacket. It fits like a dream. Dare I say perfect. Those close up shots really display what I keep hearing about FW. That stitching is insanely good. I appreciate the little history lesson as well.

Enjoy it Sir!

Thanks guys. I can use all the help I can get in the badass category.

sweetfights

Stellar jacket and write-up as usual. Thank you.
What size is this? I would love to see the measurements for this size.

After over 70 days since mine was shipped from Japan, my Mulholland size 44 is on the Canadian west coast and inbound.
Seeing yours gets me excited. The cut works for you very well in this case.
Enjoy!!!!

sweetfights

First and foremost, huge thanks to @dudewuttheheck and Duke Mantee for making this happen. I am very grateful!

I have been a huge fan of Freewheeler products for several years and own many of their wares, including three non-leather jackets. However, obtaining one of their leather jackets has been more challenging. The primary obstacle is sizing. FW’s leather jacket sizing is all over the place with no apparent rhyme or reason. My favorite FW model – the Caboose – is too narrow and short. The Speed Master is scary narrow. I have long admired the Brakeman, but continue to believe that the sleeves will be too short. Interestingly, FW’s non-leather jackets have much better sizing (at least for me).

The Mulholland has always been the best fitting on paper. However, I initially was luke warm on the design – in particular, the stitching connecting the pockets to the center zip. However, over time, I began to appreciate the distinct look of the Mulholland more and more, including the integration of certain design elements employed by Cal Leathers and that vein of vintage moto jackets. Approximately a year ago, I made the decision to buy a Mulholland. Unfortunately, the one and only available new black Mulholland in my size – at McFly – sold days earlier. You snooze, you lose. To make matters worse, FW recently introduced the Rebels jacket which appears to replace the Mulholland, and the Rebels measurements are much less desirable for me.

For the past year, I have been monitoring Yahoo.jp auctions, but to no avail. Then, last week, @dudewuttheheck posted that Duke Mantee was selling his black Mulholland in my size. Thank you @dudewuttheheck . Duke Mantee was a pleasure to deal with and the jacket arrived a few days later. Thank you Duke.

The Shinki leather is fantastic, but completely different from many of my other Shinki jackets. The leather is much heavier than most of my Shinki jackets, with the exception of my RMC Steinbeck which also has a heavier variant of Shinki. My aversion to heavy leathers is well documented. Fortunately, this Shinki is not as heavy as the beefy Horween options. Moreover, and far more importantly, this Shinki is surprisingly pliable notwithstanding its relative heft. Not at all stiff or rigid. Likewise, it has a moldable character that differentiates it from certain mid-weight Shinki hides, which mold less. It’s a great balance – heavy, robust, and moldable, yet eminently pliable and wearable. I love this leather.

The graining on the leather is amazing! Really pops!

View attachment 322589

View attachment 322590

The construction and top stitching are stellar.

View attachment 322595

View attachment 322597

View attachment 322598

The cut is rather v-shaped – more so than the barrel shape of my body. As a result, the waist is snug when zipped – not uncomfortable, but snugger than my other jackets.

The Whizzer (similar to Hookless) main zipper is flat-out terrible. I hate to prophylactically replace operational zippers, but I might be compelled to do so here.

I was hesitant to buy a jacket with zippers on the handwarmer pockets because the teeth will scratch my watches. However, the handwarmer pockets on this jacket are shallow and, therefore, even with my hands stuffed all the way in, my wrist does not make contact with the zipper.

The FW Mulholland is a repro of a jacket from Spartan Leather Sportwear (San Francisco, California). I poked around a bit but could not find any information about the company. Is anyone familiar with this company? @tmitchell59 ? @Mysteryo ?

With the stitching connecting the pockets to the main zipper and the horizontal waistband stitching, the front layout is similar to a Cal Ventura, but with cuffs rather than zipper sleeve-ends.

dsc_0309-jpg.120373

calchpmain-jpg.35191

The sides and back of the Mulholland are completely different from the Ventura.

Finally, I assume the jacket is named after the infamous Mulholland Drive and Mulholland Highway in So Cal, both of which are well travelled by moto and car enthusiasts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulholland_Drive . I grew up and lived most of my life (until just recently) within a few miles of Mulholland Drive and I used to drive on Mulholland Drive almost daily (not to mention the early morning weekend rips on the Mulholland Highway when I was younger). Thus, the jacket name has a particular connection for me.

I also was not keen on the pocket stitching extending to the zipper but it grew on me. It has a very distinctive look which sets it apart from many other jackets. And then of course is the quality construction and game-ending Shinki.

Superfluous

Stellar jacket and write-up as usual. Thank you.
What size is this? I would love to see the measurements for this size.

After over 70 days since mine was shipped from Japan, my Mulholland size 44 is on the Canadian west coast and inbound.
Seeing yours gets me excited. The cut works for you very well in this case.
Enjoy!!!!

Thanks Sweet. Mine is a 42.

Congrats on your Mulholland. I am aware of at least one other member expecting a Mulholland shortly. Looks like there will be an influx of Mulhollands to our community. I blame @dudewuttheheck and, more recently, @Jin431 .

By Jove .. you’ve done it again !!

Thanks Tree.

sweetfights

Thanks Sweet. Mine is a 42.

Congrats on your Mulholland. I am aware of at least one other member expecting a Mulholland shortly. Looks like there will be an influx of Mulhollands to our community. I blame @dudewuttheheck and, more recently, @Jin431 .

Thanks Tree. I am not sure if you so intended, but your post has more relevance than you may know.

LOL. I blame @dudewuttheheck and @Jin431 too! And now you!

58panheadfan

One Too Many

Thank you for this competent review. Your specifications are the reason why I love the shinki leather from FW so much. You have already mentioned it, this leather mold to the wearer's body in a way that I have never experienced before. The fit is spot on ... enjoy wearing your Mulholland.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Yes! That is definitely a perfect fit, thanks jake @dudewuttheheck for reaching out to members here (aheeemmmmmm size 36 black vintage if you hear anything) and to Duke sending it your way @Superfluous! Glad to see another Mulholland here in the TFL ranks, can't wait to see more photos in the future (wink wink we know who you are). Thanks for the background info, never knew the jacket was patterned after a real vintage made by a CA maker as well. Congratulations again @Superfluous

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I am so glad this worked out so well @Superfluous !! The jacket fits you much better than it ever fit me. It looks fantastic. As I said before- I am biased, but I do think this is your best fitting jacket at least in terms of how it looks. As you said, the waist is slim so maybe it doesn't feel the best, but I feel like it looks spot on. It makes me especially happy to know that I had a hand in FINALLY getting you a Freewheelers leather jacket. I know how long you have wanted one, yet not felt comfortable about getting one so this could not have worked out any better!

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk