Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Freewheelers vs. The Real McCoys vs. Vanson Cross Zip Jackets

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I've actually had good experience with the 2nd generation Vanson label (after the white Vanson Associates) as well as the few and far between Vanson HH models.

Some of the best leather I've ever owned.

I know, a lot of people say that, just pointing out the fact that a secodn gen label isn't a guarantee, as the few "bad" vansons i have handled all had that label.
Personally, my best Vansons all have the current label but are dated from the 90s.
At that time the leather came from Phoenix Leather, in Taunton MA and it was amazing comp weight.

The Model C was actually the same length as the Model E when introduced, the C2 is newer shorter jacket currently available.
Model C:
A7DF4169-058F-415D-AE2F-68C0CEF50CD1.jpeg

Model E
B67FA096-0815-40E3-A232-07C06BC5DAEB.jpeg

Same generation of jacket, late 80’s-90’s.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Honestly, Jake, that might just be the best-looking C2 I've seen out in the wild, both in terms of fit and in terms of how well it has broken-in and aged. That's even counting my own C2, which I consider to be absolutely fantastic. Well done, simply superb.
Thanks! I am very grateful that the previous owner decided to sell it to me. In terms of how it looks on me, I think it's one of my top 2 jackets and if anyone said it was number 1 overall, I couldn't argue. I love how well broken in it is. It just adds to the look.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I agree with everything that's been said about the Vanson fit. One of the top fits at TFL, period. Not easy to achieve, a mixture of experience in sourcing the jacket, and sheer luck. No guarantee at all that the C2 will look equally good on someone else, although @dudewuttheheck has provided important data points for someone else to be successful as well with the jacket.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I agree with everything that's been said about the Vanson fit. One of the top fits at TFL, period. Not easy to achieve, a mixture of experience in sourcing the jacket, and sheer luck. No guarantee at all that the C2 will look equally good on someone else, although @dudewuttheheck has provided important data points for someone else to be successful as well with the jacket.
Yeah I've made a lot of mistakes that got me here, plus I definitely got lucky here too. I'm hoping people can see how much better this fits me than the size 42 rmc which is the size that most people would tell me to get. That should give some info.
The Vanson fits you perfectly and looks fantastic - as good as any leather jacket I've even seen. I wouldn't give the center (back) seam another thought. If you get rid of this jacket, I'm going to have to ask:

Dude, what the heck?
Thanks! I still don't like the back, but don't worry, it will not cause me to sell it. I'm keeping it for sure.

jeo

One Too Many
Congrats on both the FW and the Vanson!

That LaBrea is beautiful. Fits great but looks better zipped IMO. The jackets shoulder/chest ratio vs your shoulder/chest ratio is just a bit off and creates shoulder creases. Happens on your Caboose as well. Both still look good though.

The Vanson was made for you.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Congrats on both the FW and the Vanson!

That LaBrea is beautiful. Fits great but looks better zipped IMO. The jackets shoulder/chest ratio vs your shoulder/chest ratio is just a bit off and creates shoulder creases. Happens on your Caboose as well. Both still look good though.

The Vanson was made for you.
Thanks! Yeah I still am quite happy with how both those FW jackets fit. They're not perfect, but they'd look much better if I didn't have to compare them to the Vanson... it's a bit unfair in terms of fit haha

Reactions: jeo

dannyk

One Too Many
I’ve been MIA for ages and explained why in the “has anybody seen” thread so won’t bore anyone here! Just popping in to say is that my old Vanson? Which I was just thinking I wish I never ever sold. I just never wore it enough. Have to say Jake you really truly kill it in that. Looks like you two were made for one another. Wow never thought I’d see you in an older beat up Vanson. What a day! Seriously looks perfect.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sell both Japanese made jackets if you have not already. This post screams exactly what I (and others) have been saying about Vanson for years! The japanese jackets look like lunch meat next to a thick slice of prime rib and the Vanson looks absolutely made to measure on you.

Respectfully, you are (intentionally) confusing fit with quality, and improperly using the fit of the Vanson as the basis to denigrate the quality of the FW/RMC. To make matters worse, you are yet again employing ad hominem characterizations to supplement your non sequitur.

If Jake was taller, the FW fit him better, and the Vanson was too short, would you still label the Vanson "prime rib" and the FW "lunch meat"? I doubt it. However, because Jake is shorter and the Vanson therefore fits him better, you capitalize on the opportunity to advance your anti-Japanese bias.

Why not simply echo what others have said: the Vanson fits Jake better? Why go beyond the fit and inappropriately disparage Japanese jackets as "lunch meat" (and "barf worthy")?

Respectfully, you are (intentionally) confusing fit with quality, and improperly using the fit of the Vanson as the basis to denigrate the quality of the FW/RMC. To make matters worse, you are yet again employing ad hominem characterizations to supplement your non sequitur.

If Jake was taller, the FW fit him better, and the Vanson was too short, would you still label the Vanson "prime rib" and the FW "lunch meat"? I doubt it. However, because Jake is shorter and the Vanson therefore fits him better, you capitalize on the opportunity to advance your anti-Japanese bias.

Why not simply echo what others have said: the Vanson fits Jake better? Why go beyond the fit and inappropriately disparage Japanese jackets as "lunch meat" (and "barf worthy")?
Respectfully, yes, I would. Because they do look like lunch meat in comparison. It’s not hard to see. I’m sure you see it too. Why it hurts your feelings I surely do not know. If you look at those three jackets and don’t see the Vanson as more beautiful in every respect (yes the fit is certainly better) I’m not sure what you are looking at. Perhaps you need to turn your gaze inward and look at your own bias.

Speaking of which, I don’t have any bias against anything made in Japan. I just bought two jackets made in Japan this week. I have posted about them both. I’ve owned a number of jackets made in Japan. To assume my criticism or critique of the jackets in this thread point to a bias against a country of manufacture is ignorant and absurd.

Last edited:
I don't have any bias against Japanese made clothes as such. I do have, however, major bias against the mindless hype and price tags the jackets dictate, without one single atom substantiating either once compared to other brands, such as Vanson.

That's what pisses me off to no end.

Rich22

Practically Family
I don't have any bias against Japanese made clothes as such. I do have, however, major bias against the mindless hype and price tags the jackets dictate, without one single atom substantiating either once compared to other brands, such as Vanson.

That's what pisses me off to no end.
The hype and price, and typically bizarre fits (you need a pot belly, tiny chest, and extremely wide shoulders for some!) and lack of customisation options, all irk me too.

Edit: To clarify this is no anti-Japanese thing for me either: I've always been interested by Japan and Japanese culture, I love exploring the country, watching sunrise on the summit of Mt Fuji was one of my favourite experiences, and I've spent half my adult life living in Asia.

Last edited:

dannyk

One Too Many
Also this has been said 1,000 times before but holy sh** your pics wearing this just goes to show how truly awful Vansons site is and how garbage they are at marketing how nice their stuff actually is. Yeah the “new” site is 100xs better than what it used to be; but it still is nothing compared to what it should be. Vanson make such a solid product and are a top tier maker in terms of being able to nail the fit. Makes you wonder who’s doing their PR and why one of us isn’t just doing it

Edit: To clarify this is no anti-Japanese thing for me either: I've always been interested by Japan and Japanese culture, I love exploring the country, watching sunrise on the summit of Mt Fuji was one of my favourite experiences, and I've spent half my adult life living in Asia.

That. I have literally been taking Kenjutsu lessons for five months now so it's got nothing to do with Japan.

red devil

Also this has been said 1,000 times before but holy sh** your pics wearing this just goes to show how truly awful Vansons site is and how garbage they are at marketing how nice their stuff actually is. Yeah the “new” site is 100xs better than what it used to be; but it still is nothing compared to what it should be. Vanson make such a solid product and are a top tier maker in terms of being able to nail the fit. Makes you wonder who’s doing their PR and why one of us isn’t just doing it

Not a bad idea... With a bit of formatting, we are all happy customers of Vanson.

Edit: as in what better client testimonials?

Superfluous

Respectfully, yes, I would. Because they do look like lunch meat in comparison. It’s not hard to see. I’m sure you see it too. Why it hurts your feelings I surely do not know. If you look at those three jackets and don’t see the Vanson as more beautiful in every respect (yes the fit is certainly better) I’m not sure what you are looking at. Perhaps you need to turn your gaze inward and look at your own bias.

Speaking of which, I don’t have any bias against anything made in Japan. I just bought two jackets made in Japan this week. I have posted about them both. I’ve owned a number of jackets made in Japan. To assume my criticism or critique of the jackets in this thread point to a bias against a country of manufacture is ignorant and absurd.

You have drank too much of your own Kool-Aid if you genuinely believe that "the Vanson is more beautiful in every respect." Frankly, it isn't even close. Fit aside (which is customer dependent), the FW jacket is exponentially better looking and better quality. Even Jake, who much prefers the fit of the Vanson, agrees that the FW is the better quality jacket. In fact, he exalts the fit of the Vanson notwithstanding its palpably inferior quality.

Care to put your money where your mouth is? Lets select five independent judges -- people with extensive experience in the leather jacket industry, but no affiliation with Vanson or FW. We will ask all five judges to review Jake's Vanson and FW jackets, and to answer the following question: "which is the better quality jacket." No definition of quality will be provided; rather, each judge will apply his/her own definition of quality. If the majority of the judges deem the Vanson the better quality jacket, I will give you $10,000. If the majority of the judges deem the FW the better quality jacket, you will give me $5,000. I am giving you two-to-one odds. What do you say? @Monitor , I'll make the same offer to you. You guys repeatedly pound the table that Vanson is objectively the superior quality jacket. Lets see whether industry experts agree with you. I'm betting they will not and I am willing to put my money where my mouth is. You?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider