Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Freewheelers vs. The Real McCoys vs. Vanson Cross Zip Jackets

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
on separate topic I also think Red Devil's jeans there is at perfect length.

This brings up a related point. I'll wear jeans at different lengths, depending on what they are, but I think high cuffed is a very, very bad combination with high-heeled engineer boots. I have seen several friends do it, and it always gives the visual impression of someone who is about to fall forward. I think if such boots are worn, there needs to be a break of the trousers/jeans, not a high cuff.

MrProper

This brings up a related point. I'll wear jeans at different lengths, depending on what they are, but I think high cuffed is a very, very bad combination with high-heeled engineer boots. I have seen several friends do it, and it always gives the visual impression of someone who is about to fall forward. I think if such boots are worn, there needs to be a break of the trousers/jeans, not a high cuff.
It's a matter of taste, of course, as always, but I think it depends on the width of the pants in addition to the shoes. The wider the cuffs the less short they should be worn. And even with tighter cuffs it depends on the shoes. Wide and short always seems to me somehow high water pants.

Aloysius

It's a matter of taste, of course, as always, but I think it depends on the width of the pants in addition to the shoes. The wider the cuffs the less short they should be worn. And even with tighter cuffs it depends on the shoes. Wide and short always seems to me somehow high water pants.

This definitely plays a role as well, and the stacked heel engineer boots really highlight that.

You’ll notice that the Beatles, when they wore Cuban heel boots, had a sleeker shape of boot to begin with, and their trousers came down all the way when they were standing. This avoided the imbalanced effect.

Rich22

Practically Family
I agree with what you guys are all saying about the cuffs on the jeans- high/wide cuffs aren't flattering, IMO, and make legs look shorter and stumpier. Even on tall guys. Combined with a high heel it looks odd. Add a high front rise/high waist to the equation, and it's a strange aesthetic all around.

4 years ago I was wearing 1950's style Iron Heart jeans regularly, with high cuffs and a high front rise, and I caught myself in the mirror, and asked myself what the hell I was doing. I got a cos-play vibe, and switched to more tapered jeans with tighter cuff and a normal rise, and think I look much better for it. I still hate jeggings, for what that's worth- I don't wear jeans anywhere near that tight.

No way! Vive the cuff bell bottom and Chuck Taylor!! Fight me! LOL.
D602B592-E7E6-457C-85A7-60C520966473.jpeg

I can’t comment on boots as I hate them, passionately. All I do know is that my sister in law’s boyfriend wears some crazy expensive cowboy boots, which are the male equivalent of high heel shoes, and I make sure he k owes he is still shorter than me, even in his lifts. I am not tall.

Aloysius

I agree with what you guys are all saying about the cuffs on the jeans- high/wide cuffs aren't flattering, IMO, and make legs look shorter and stumpier. Even on tall guys. Combined with a high heel it looks odd. Add a high front rise/high waist to the equation, and it's a strange aesthetic all around.

4 years ago I was wearing 1950's style Iron Heart jeans regularly, with high cuffs and a high front rise, and I caught myself in the mirror, and asked myself what the hell I was doing. I got a cos-play vibe, and switched to more tapered jeans with tighter cuff and a normal rise, and think I look much better for it. I still hate jeggings, for what that's worth- I don't wear jeans anywhere near that tight.

I don’t think high waist or straight legs cause this issue, it is just the way in which people sometimes feel they must wear them. I’ve worn full on 1880s repro jeans in normal settings without calling attention to them at all.

High rises are more flattering even on tapered jeans like the Sugar Cane Awa AI I’m wearing right now.

Aloysius

View attachment 416451

I wear a big cuff myself, sometimes even a bit high. However, when you’re wearing higher heeled boots, the pants need to come down all the way, otherwise you create the impression of someone who’s about to fall over. With your sneakers you could go either way without that impression.

I wear a big cuff myself, sometimes even a bit high. However, when you’re wearing higher heeled boots, the pants need to come down all the way, otherwise you create the impression of someone who’s about to fall over. With your sneakers you could go either way without that impression.
The way I see it from the waist down I’m 1970, from the waist up 1930-1950. LOL. True though.

Mich486

One Too Many
@MrProper you are slim and tall, you can get away with everything!

On the opposite end of the spectrum it’s me, short with short legs. Wide trousers and high cuffs and I end up looking like I have stubs instead of legs.

Skinny Tapered jeans/pants I hate them profoundly and I think we’ll look back at them in 10 years and all have similar feelings as when looking at 70s bell bottoms (sorry ton! :D honesty I think yours are more bootcut than real bell bottoms). Skinny everything is a trend on the way out anyway.

For me and my body type (similar to dude btw) I think what works is mid/high rise with a straight leg. I do like myself some wider cuts but I’ll make sure no cuffs and perhaps a little break. I also increasingly think that engineers don’t work too well with very wide trousers. Not sure I understand or see the leaning effect alosios is mentioning.

Life would be easier if I had long legs though.

Rich22

Practically Family
I can't deal with high rise front or low rise front on me... normal is where it's at. Haha. But I have a big ass so it has to be high rise in the rear to look respectable...

sweetfights

View attachment 416451
I can’t comment on boots as I hate them, passionately. All I do know is that my sister in law’s boyfriend wears some crazy expensive cowboy boots, which are the male equivalent of high heel shoes, and I make sure he k owes he is still shorter than me, even in his lifts. I am not tall.
You sir are funny! And I do love boots......

Spiney

One of the Regulars
View attachment 416451
You hate all boots ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112