Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French cuff question

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
no, like a standard single button cuff.
Like so:

image.jpg

Papperskatt

Practically Family
Here's a pic of Jude Law wearing a french cuff "barrel cuff style" in Sherlock Holmes. I think it looks great!

kk04.jpg

carldelo

One Too Many
Ah interesting, thanks very much for this picture, I feel moderately vindicated.

This points up an issue I've found. You see how the overlap is done - it's reversed compared to a standard button cuff, i.e. the underside of the cuff is on top.

When nesting a French cuff as A.J. suggested, this is the natural way that the cuffs lay --- the underside has to be on top in order to have the fabric arranged properly for the secondary button. It looks kind of strange at first, but makes sense when you see it in detail.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
When I opened this thread, I thought the discussion was going to be about tight rolling (pinch rolling) your pant cuffs because I've, at times, heard tight rolling also referred to as French cuffs.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I've only heard of the 'French Cuff' applied in two instances:1.) Shirt cuffs as we are discussing here. And 2.) A tailoring term (also called a faux cuff) for a technique used to create a cuff on trousers when there is limited material available.

Papperskatt

Practically Family
I saw this pic of Nikola Tesla and it got me thinking about this old thread. It looks like he's wearing a french cuff barrel cuff style.

N.Tesla.JPG

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
My first vintage pieces were three sets of cuff links (circa 1950s-1960s) that were purchased for pennies. Since then, I've always worn cuff links with suits, but never anything more casual, in part because it just seems right and help others differentiate between "casual" and "dressed-up". I'll always wear them, regardless if others hate their "clunky" and "outdated" appearance.

-Quetzal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass