French Cuisine

Discussion in 'The Connoisseur' started by Smithy, Jun 9, 2010.

1. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

I made a really amazing peasant stew dish of pork. tomatoes, red peppers and onions last night. My sister and I have dinner together every Sunday. She was pleased. :)

2. Miss Golightly

Miss Golightly Call Me a Cab

I adore France - I think my love affair with it began when I started to learn French in school and it just went on from there - little did I know that I would get engaged in St Jean Cap Ferrat and get married there too! We visit the South of France one or twice a year and are heading there again in a few weeks - cannot wait! I love the food, the wine, the language and the way of life.

I haven't tried cooking any French food as yet but my love of their cuisine is sated with my favourite French restaurant in Dublin - Dax:

[​IMG]

3. davidraphael

davidraphael Practically Family

I'm a big France fan.
    I get there whenever I can. I recently spent my 40th birthday in Strasbourg. Germans are not so big on fish, so I went there for the food (a whole plate of different types of shellfish. heaven). Come to think of it, Germans aren't so big on food, period, unless it's meat meat meat meat with a side-order of meat. Very limited range of culinary experiences to be had in the Teutonic regions...

I do a lot of cooking myself, but I very very rarely follow recipes. One of the only books I genuinely trust for traditional cooking tips is this handy French cooking book, published in 1961...You'd better like a lot of butter and wine and garlic :)

Incidentally, the writer of this book invented Vichyssoise soup and cooked (at the London Ritz and New York Ritz-Carlton) for many notables including King Edward VII

[​IMG][/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  4. Mr. Bingley

Mr. Bingley Familiar Face

"You'd better like a lot of butter and wine and garlic"

That reminds me of an interview I heard on the radio of Julia Child many years ago. She was asked what she thought of the trend towards using less butter and cream in cooking.

She responded "oh, it's nutrition rearing its ugly head!" :D

5. I had my first taste of French food when I was about 10 years old at The Bistro in Beverly Hills:

[​IMG]

and I was in love. We went every year for my birthday until they closed. No one can make a chocolate souffle like they could *sigh*....

6. fortworthgal

fortworthgal Call Me a Cab

^ I love Julia! She's the reason I refer to margarine as "that other spread." :D

Is this perhaps part of a 2-book set? I've seen a set of these at Half Price Books several times, but never picked them up. Perhaps it is a later version of what you have.

7. LordBest

LordBest Practically Family

Currently my household is experiencing paroxysms of bliss as a fantastic little cake shop has started producing daily batches of macaron de paris, and having samples most of those available in the French cafes and bistro of Melbourne the local ones are superior.

8. Now, now ... the 'Moustache Cafe' did a good job of it ... and the 'Tam O'Shanter' on Los Feliz Blvd. has a very nice one too.

9. Well, I can't say.... I've never had the pleasure of eating at either of those restaurants, but if they do make it as well as The Bistro, then they must have stolen the recipe ;)

For now, I'll take your word for it until I head out that way again :)

10. DNO

DNO One Too Many

My son spent a month in France last spring and came home with a much more sophisticated palate. He's now more willing to try new foods. He is more appreciative of delicately cooked vegetables and even enjoys it when I use wines in cooking. Thank you France (seriously...it transformed him into a much more interesting and enjoyable dinner partner)!

11. LocktownDog

LocktownDog Call Me a Cab

My 15 yr old boy (culinary student) is making a traditional ratatouille this weekend. The majority of ingredients are coming out of our garden. Can't wait.

12. Steven180

Steven180 One of the Regulars

Since Lord Best brought up macarones, and with due respect to my own sweet tooth, I couldn't resist posting a few pictures of desserts we enjoyed in Paris last June.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How does it seem to come so easily over there?
    M.

13. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

The Bistro was one of my neighborhood haunts when I lived in BH. A big movie star hang; probably the biggest of its era. My attorney was an investor in the joint so they treated me pretty well. I even dined at the corner table.:cool:

I bet this place can, seeing that it's owned by the same people.

14. Maybe we saw each other when I was a little kid :p

I heard the family opened that one up, but part of the experience was the restaurant itself. Dark wood interior, dimly lit, crystal, china..... it was something else, as you know. The souffle might be the same though, I don't know [huh] Might be worth a try......

15. Tomasso

Whaddaya mean you still are.:p

16. Thank you Tomasso....... I needed that :)

Anywho... back on topic.....

Seared Foie Gras with some sort of reduction sauce.... my favorite.... yum :)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  17. olive bleu

olive bleu One Too Many

I would marry Jacques Pepin in a heartbeat. And my husband is well aware of this fact.:love:

18. Tomasso

Well, personally I wouldn't go that far:p ...... but I would love to live next door to him. I'll bring the wine........:D

19. olive bleu

olive bleu One Too Many

Done. You'll be our first dinner guest :p

20. Tomasso

Wonderful! I'll pick out something extra dusty form the cellar. ;)

[​IMG]